CCT Failure

General Bike chat
Troutman

CCT Failure

Post by Troutman »

So I have been looking into doing a CCT stopper mod on my bike as it runs like a good un and I love the bike so why take the risk?
Yesterday I received the little tool to lock off the CCT's and I was going to buy a pair of new CCT's and do the "stopper mod" this weekend..I personally think this might be the best solution..but who knows.
Anyway coming back from Carlisle up the A7 to Selkirk last night at pace guess what happened? Loud rattling noise coming from down below..bummer. I don't think the chain jumped though as I nursed it into a safe place (100yds or so) and it still sounded to be running smoothly.
£140 to get recovered as my Platinum RBS account is a pile of plop. So if you're thinking it'll be fine, if you ask me, just get it done.
grumpyfrog

Re: CCT Failure

Post by grumpyfrog »

Bummer man. It just shows it can happen anytime. Hope nothing is bent.
That's a grand road to be tramping on.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

hope its OK
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

bad luck
the vtr gremlins have struck again
check out and see what head it is
9 out of 10 vtr's prefer the front
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Fingers crossed tightly for you that you get lucky... My cct's started to rattle like hell a month or so after I bought my first storm. I rode around for a few days like it too because I had no idea at the time what the problem was. I got lucky, swapped out for new ccts and off I went.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hope you got lucky and not too much damage
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Thanks guys...I think the engine is OK as it was still running without any funny misfires etc. I'm going to start the strip down this weekend. At a guess I would say it was the front.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fingers crossed all is well,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

fingers crossed for you that all turns out fine :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Been looking for OEM tensioners and CMSNL.com seems to be the best price at €48each. Ordered 2 today and I'll do the "stopper mod" on them.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

From what I understand, you need to run the new tensioners in the bike for a bit before you do the stopper mod. Otherwise, how would you know how long to make the stopper?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

yeah that makes sense, to be honest If that's the case I'll probably not bother with the stopper mod, I mean the originals have lasted 16years, I doubt I'll even last that long!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Plenty of instances of new CCTs not lasting very long at all. Others, like yours, have.

Since you have new ones why not send the old ones away to be made into manuals? Then you have the choice of fitting manuals with spare autos if needed?

But, I'm sure other more knowledgable people will be along shortly.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Kermit is correct you need to put them in first to get the right length stopper as every bike will be different due to wear and tear. New CCT's can fail and don't forget they may have been sitting in Honda's stores for a few years, maybe 16 years. After a few years sitting on the shelf they may have painted a different colour dot on them to make them look like new ones and then given them a different label. Newer later released unbreakable CCT's. LOL
==============================Enter the Darkside
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Ok but do I need to run the engine or is it just a case of fitting them, locking them off, measuring etc and doing the stopper mod?
I want to keep the OEM tensioners rather than converting to manual's or converting them to manuals as I think I like the idea of some dynamic movement going on in there.