VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
popkat

VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Post by popkat »

Ok in an attempt to help maybe finish the project thought I'd start a thread on it.

The idea is to build a bike to race in CRMC classic races, this year they finally allowed certain liquid cooled four strokes and started a class called superstock 750.. I'd wanted to do something like this for a while and now I've been able to source a reasonable VFR to use. I could have used another bike like for example GSXR or FZ. but these tend to be more expensive and/or harder to find, I think they'll all be fairly evenly matched as they were back in the day though.

Engines must be standard but suspension, wheels, brakes etc can be changed within certain parameters.

I'm going to try and graft a Firestorm front end and rear wheel on to the bike, there will be a Nitron shock also, other mods will be rearsets, race bodywork, the usual race bike stuff.

So far I've only weighed the bike and it's coming in at 226kg with a couple of litres of fuel, weight bias is 51.3% rear 48.7% front so it's crying out to be turned on it's nose. The storm forks are about 25mm shorter so this should help, but this particular VFR has 52mm static sag 8O so by the time I set all that up with the new front it may not be much different, well it will be as I can play with fork height and the Nitron will be raised to get somewhere near a more desired 51% front 49% rear. I've also set a target of 20kg weight lose for the bike so will be hoping for 206kg (or less) ready to race

Pictures Will follow soon as need to upload them to a host first which takes me some time.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Post by sirch345 »

This sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing the build :thumbup:

Good luck with this Malc,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Here's what I'm starting with..

Frame piece snapped off and bodge done by previous owners engineering friend... not much of a friend or engineer I think :lol:
Will be making a new piece and having it properly welded in place.

Rear wheel sent down by Mac, with Kermits old cush rubbers fitted.

Front end From Stu

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

About time you got back into racing. Now all you need is some decent sponsors. Somebody like Infinity motorcycles or how about Sportsbike shop, have a word with vtrjock who works there.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 22#p346212

:think:

Then again there's always Mac and Franks parts. Frank must have a web of contacts. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

like it, this is going to look good when its in race trim........ are you thinking about a daytime MOT as well? :D
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

AMCQ46 wrote:like it, this is going to look good when its in race trim........ are you thinking about a daytime MOT as well? :D

It will definitely have a daytime/no lights MOT.
It should be pretty good on the road, little less power than a storm and a little more weight but not by much. With track gearing it's gonna surprise a few :lol:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Interesting project mate, and the blue will give you a little more power, obviously! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes mate..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice one :thumbup: .. they are a strong old beast those and can go well..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have the front end in the bike now, I also have the rear wheel in but the sprocket carrier needs machining down a lot so won't know if it's going to work until I've had the carrier done.
I went to Silverstone at the weekend, last round of crmc championship and had a look at some of the VFR's out there. Ended up fixing 2 of them, so much for a weekend off :lol: The one I did the most fixing on had a 5" CBR600 wheel and it fitted pretty easy, no machining just spacers, the carrier looks the same as VTR but the CBR hub must be narrower but about 10mm at a guess. It would be so much easier to use this wheel but I'm going to stick with the Storm wheel unless it prove impossible to fit, I think I will get it in though.

pics to follow soon...when I take them.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Just spotted this for grabs on eBay Popkat :thumbup:

VFR 750FK 1989 TRACK OR ROAD built this bike to do track days on was my road bike , built to look like Hondas vfr750 6x as raced by bubba Schubert / fred merkel , front wheel is a light weight rs 250 race wheel /rear is a cbr600 with a fireblade sprocket carrier running renthall 520 chain and sprockets/rear brembo caliper with hrc brake reservoir /front fairing side panels are of the earlier vfrfg/h/ to match race bike all paint work recently done including the spare tank and road headlight fairing all the electrical wiring is still on bike should you want to put back on the road there is also a spare engine which will come with bike /bike starts and runs perfect v5 in my name - any questions please ask cheers trevor

Ideas galore & some pictures :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-vfr750f ... Sw8w1X-6My

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You can fit a full blade swing arm and wheel .
Just need to remove 8mm from the inside face of the frame in order to get it to fit, but other than that it drops straight in and even the linkages etc bolt up without any problems (so I've read )
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Have a read ,
Shame all the pics have gone as it was a very nice bike
http://honda-forums.com/forum/index.php ... 1335/0/20/
popkat

Post by popkat »

The Interceptor colours look good and probably how I'll paint mine as this was also the Factory race colours, that one is too far away so i'll continue building my own, thanks for posting though as there's a few idea's on it I may follow up on mine :thumbup:

Lloydie, Have to use standard swingarm for classic club racing, I'll have a read through though :thumbup:

popkat

Post by popkat »

How it looks now, caliper just there as still connected, need some CBR F4i calipers to go on. rear still playing around with alignment and need to get first stage of sprocket carrier machining done before I can do more. Swingarm will need modding to accept the Storm Caliper bracket, it's just resting on the arm for now.

Rear wheel is only 1.2mm out of line, just got to shave the brake side spacer a little, angle of the picture makes it look off.