Paypal problems

General Biker Banter
templ8

Paypal problems

Post by templ8 »

Has anyone had problems with paypal limiting their account ?

Listed a load of stuff on ebay recently and sold almost all of it, collected nearly £700 for it.

Went to withdraw the balance into my bank account only to find my paypal account had been limited.
Took 2 days for them to tell me why, they require a copy of my photo id, passport, driving licence and national id card.
Have reluctantly emailed a copy of my licence but they also want passport and id card, but I don't have a valid passport or id card :mad:

With a limited account I can't buy anything, sell anything, send money to anyone or withdraw funds to my bank. Never had an issue before and had this account 15 years.

I highly suspect paypal have waited for a large balance on my account to hold to ransom forcing me to comply with some daft regulation they've decided to enforce.

I'm going to make a complaint to the fsa but no idea how long this is going to take, I also intend to close my paypal account once this is sorted, even if this means no more ebay then so be it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Mav617

Re: Paypal problems

Post by Mav617 »

Wow, that sucks! I've had issues before with them holding on to funds, especially refunded money, but not to that extent. I imagine it will get more restrictive, as they seek to stop people funding terrorists etc. The big banking institutions have the power to shut something like Paypal down if they perceive it as a threat I'm sure and making them comply with crazy legislation is one way to do it.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think Mary had his account suspended at one stage. PayPal is no longer what it used to be. I think it's partly because of eBay and folk basically using eBay and paypal to run a business They are tided in with the government and banking system who have been putting pressures on them. This is all part of government tightening down on tax evaders. It's OK for the big corporations to escape tax but not us smaller folk. :roll: Easy targets as we cant afford very clever and expensive legal services.

They have even banned the use of VPN's so it easier to track folk and determine whether they have more than one account.
https://torrentfreak.com/paypal-starts- ... es-160205/

It's nothing to do with terrorism as terrorist organisations are not stupid enough to use paypal. Their dealings will all be in bitcoin or good old cash in your hand.
==============================Enter the Darkside
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Finally got my account back today, sent them a copy of my licence and explained on the phone that I don't possess a passport or national id card.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

templ8 wrote:Finally got my account back today, sent them a copy of my licence and explained on the phone that I don't possess a passport or national id card.

Glad to hear that, even though it did take 4 days,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Geez that's wombles liberty paypal are taking. You obviously have your bank account synced with your paypal account via the few pennies they transfer to ones bank account when verifying. Now you have to log into your bank account to retrieve the verification pass code associated with those few pennies. Surly this is enough for them to trust that you are who you say you are. Have you been a verified paypal member for a while or is this a new account being linked.

With the increase in identity fraud I don't like the idea of having to send them a copy of a license, ID card or passport. Security works both ways and is only as secure as the weakest link. How was this copy sent. Over an insecure network connection or even via mail where things can get intercepted or lost. Middle man attack or even PayPal's staff themselves. How are paypal storing this information. Is it stored encrypted on a machine that has no connection to the outside world or thrown in a filling cabinet in some room somewhere in timbuktu. Who else are they sharing this information with.

The thing is there are still many that will argue if they are not doing anything illegal then all this extra security is for our own good. The problem is, what happens when somebody's identity is stolen for nefarious activities and used in a crime. The legal system has not updated in years and can't keep up with the technology so if our fingerprints or whatever are found in a crime scene it is us that get nicked. Guilty as charged. Try proving otherwise.

Don't forget that identity fraud has taken over from drugs as being the most popular and biggest crime in the world.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Have since found out that another workmate has just had the same problem.

Carl, my account was verified shortly after signing up almost 15 years ago and the licence was photographed on a particularly grainy resolution (on purpose) then sent on a securely within their website, not scanned and emailed.

There's also been an issue with ebay where they blocked my account due to the number of items sold and the money received for these items recently. Also sorted over the phone now.

templ8

Post by templ8 »

Could be worse, my mate had a visit from HMRC over his biodiesel production, he's in some very deep doodoo

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:eek2 :eek2 :eek2

Grainy resolution :thumbup: Email is not secure unless encrypted, it's travelling along where it can be intercepted (sniffed out) in open data. And their website even if it's HTTPS does not necessarily mean secure, especially when posting as it sits on their hosts mailserver. These people do not secure things properly. Making money comes first before security and I bet they use a wombles Microsoft web server instead of Apache on a Linux system which is still vulnerable but not half as bad as Microsoft. They are that ignorant to things because all they care about is ££££££ Just look what's happened with the DNS's attacks over the last few days throughout the world. That's how bloody secure they are.

Then there are the companies that sell us devices with all services open by default. Especially on things like IP cameras and DVR's and all the other devices that are networked up these days, fridges, home automation etc. They are all backdoors into ones LAN network Most consumers don't disable unused services like being able to set your DVR timer or watch stuff from it on you mobile or tablet from wherever you are in the world. Consumers either haven't got a clue or menu systems are either too complicated or technical. Geez some devices only come with a wireless option and no Ethernet port to hard wire connections. Cheaper build!!! Companies need to start taking some responsibility and at least send devices out to consumers with things disabled by default so the consumers have to enable it. Opt in rather than opt out, but it means they can't use the ease of use as a sales pitch then. It all spreads like a disease. Look how many facebook accounts (the hackers playground) get hacked because people are ignorant or haven't clue

Man it angers me. Just think how many devices are zombies and part of botnets and being used for DDoS attacks and monitoring folks activities. The electronic wars far outweigh the wars we see on the news.

If you haven't got a clue what I'm on about.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hac ... et-outage/

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/botnet

How many folk actually monitor and control all their outgoing network connections. Even worse how many folk change default passwords on devices from routers to repeater / bridge to any other device that is networked up.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a rant there, but it does anger me especially when these companies request such personal details that if stolen can get us in a lot of trouble. As well as our device networks which we pay for being abused. It's bad enough that computer and software companies use our bandwidth to send connections home to cloud servers, update servers, license servers etc, all at our expense.

I had to give a copy of my birth certificate and passport to my new employer today which I am unconformable with because I know my details will most likely sit on a windows machine or any other computer for that matter without any decent protection. Why the heck do I have to give them proof that I am a UK citizen it's bloody obvious and anyhow employers should be able to employ whoever they want no questions asked.

Your mate should be allowed to sell a bit of fuel It's called earning a living and being able survive. As long as one does not harm others then why not. wombles tax this and tax that. Slaves to society we are. Big brother is killing society and this planet all so the worlds 1% richest can remain with all the money.