Twins

General Biker Banter
marko

Twins

Post by marko »

Probably bin mentioned loads of times but just looking thru some old photos and I couldn't help but notice how much my old Suzuki tl 1000s resembles my new storm. I must admit I think the storm is is slightly more appealing although the tl was a bit up on power the handling was no where near the storm I remember approaching roundabouts in the wet on the tl and wondering if I would make it round cos it was that lumpy also on fast twisters the tl used to turn itself inside out if uknow what I mean an exiting machine but the storm takems it by a mile. Just need to sort bar position out as I'm not 21 anymore and it hurts my wrists/ back ect after an hour.man what a reminder of how old I'm getting after riding positions of previous bikes ,katana 1100, gsxr,guzzi le mans,ect 'loving the storm tho I've always been a Honda man at heart from Honda c50 ,through to my first road bike in 82,an xl 500 s ,I'm just restoring a sl 350 at mo ,bit rare in uk as American market only ride safe all.marko
fabiostar

Re: Twins

Post by fabiostar »

A storm is a bit like a tl except it has manners :eek2 /.
what type of guzzi had you? im still a secret guzzi fan :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
marko

Post by marko »

it was a mk11 850 the model after the one with the bikini fairing ,i wish i had kept it i think i sold it for around 3k about 10 years ago lucky to get a good one for double that now,ive also got a suzuki pe 250 with a xr 250 motor in for a bit of green laning,ride safe mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I can see where you're coming from on the similarities between the TL and the VTR. Imho if Suzuki hadn't gone for that rather strange rear suspension get-up, things could have been a lot different,

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:I can see where you're coming from on the similarities between the TL and the VTR. Imho if Suzuki hadn't gone for that rather strange rear suspension get-up, things could have been a lot different,

Chris.

True Chris that cracking Rotary Damper killed that bike off, my mate had one with a modded system on it. Its still going around Ringwood now.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
podman

Post by podman »

Theres a small article on "20 year old bikes of 2017" in this month in PS magazine, both the TL and Firestorm get a mention, the VTR is labelled as a V Twin VFR which is exactly what I want, the TL is and always will attract more sporting interest (and appreciate even..) over the VTR but now im of a certain age and having had many 90s Suzuki's with their more demanding riding positions, twenty years after their launch, I know ive made the right choice for a near 50 year old me!
podman

Post by podman »

Would also love to see some pics of your SL Marko, a fine looking bike, IIRC they was a resto on the SL in Classic Mechanics Magazine a year or two back, have you got it?

If not, I may be able to dig it out for you.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

marko wrote:it was a mk11 850 the model after the one with the bikini fairing ,i wish i had kept it i think i sold it for around 3k about 10 years ago lucky to get a good one for double that now,ive also got a suzuki pe 250 with a xr 250 motor in for a bit of green laning,ride safe mark
very nice, i always wanted a black and gold mk2. ended up with the 1000 mk4.. loved it.
marko

Post by marko »

i will post some photos of the sl as i bought it, its in bits now ,just got the parts from the chromers ,kin hell chroming is expensive and seventies bikes where covered in the stuff,i want the resto completed for summer as want to take it down to cornwall where i go every year ,i loved the guzzi ,it had soul ,the tl thou had a stonking motor let down by well known weird suspension set up mine had a maxton conversion so wasnt too bad ,but my storm would out hussle it in tight twisties'talking of "i wish i hadnt sold" previous bikes i had a mint 1st year slabside gixer with standard l exhausts 10 years ago and i streetfightered it ,you live and you learn,,,sometimes,marko
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I remember test riding a Moto Guzzi back in the 80's, I have a feeling it was an 850 Le Mans. At the time I had a Suzuki GS1000, the 850 Le Mans felt rather strange when pulling away from a standstill as the rear-end would rise up, that must have been due to it being shaft drive. It was a weird sensation when you're not used to a bike doing that, no doubt you would get used to it in time,

Chris.
marko

Post by marko »

the le mans handled superbly ,and at standstill rocked gently from side too side due to v position across bike,lovely,mark.
redpig

Post by redpig »

I had some twins once, exhausted was I.
ook
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sirch345 wrote:I remember test riding a Moto Guzzi back in the 80's, I have a feeling it was an 850 Le Mans. At the time I had a Suzuki GS1000, the 850 Le Mans felt rather strange when pulling away from a standstill as the rear-end would rise up, that must have been due to it being shaft drive. It was a weird sensation when you're not used to a bike doing that, no doubt you would get used to it in time,

Chris.
they are the type of bike a short spin would put you off them but they get under your skin thats for sure...a bit like! well a storm.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote:
sirch345 wrote:I remember test riding a Moto Guzzi back in the 80's, I have a feeling it was an 850 Le Mans. At the time I had a Suzuki GS1000, the 850 Le Mans felt rather strange when pulling away from a standstill as the rear-end would rise up, that must have been due to it being shaft drive. It was a weird sensation when you're not used to a bike doing that, no doubt you would get used to it in time,

Chris.
they are the type of bike a short spin would put you off them but they get under your skin thats for sure...a bit like! well a storm.
A good point that as with most bikes really, a good test ride is what you need. Needless to say I didn't do that many miles on the Guzzi, probably around 25 or 30 miles only,

Chris.
marko

Post by marko »

cant say in 40 years of riding ive ever owned a bike i didnt like but that might be the rose tinted glasses i wear,3 years ago my gas gas enduro tried to kill me in a quarry i managed to survive i nearly lost my right foot and have plates holding it together but it never put me off bikes ,i know its a cliche but bikes are in my blood,marko