Engine noise identification

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Loo Kahs

Engine noise identification

Post by Loo Kahs »

Hello :wave:

I was notified by the previous owner that the CCT was probably in need of replacing, however, as I'm sure you all will be more familiar with the sounds your beloved VTRs make than I am I would very much appreciate any feedback!

I've recorded the video yesterday. In person, it actually is quite difficult to hear anything other than the pipes, but the phone seems to have done a decent job at isolating the engine.
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdee

Re: Engine noise identification

Post by macdee »

There are no tell tale sounds that your cct is on the way out
The Spring is the weak point in the cct and it just breaks without warning
Best to fit mcct or the stopper mod asap
Or you could just do new oem cct again and hope for the best
told you not to but oh no you knew better
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

I,m certainaly no expert and slightly deaf but sounds ok to me :)
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Hmmm. I've had a listen a few times.

[youtube][/youtube]

To my ears, the bike does not seem to be chattering around the front CCT.

When the camera moves back up at 22 seconds in, the noise gets louder....opposite the thermostat casing, but it's difficult to actually ''listen'' when not physically standing at the machine.

Then, when you rev it, aside from the noise of the cans, the chattering does seem to lessen? Or is that just the phone microphone shutting down cos it's overloaded?

Personal opinion, is it sounds like a flutter - which leads me to ask....is it blowing on the front header? Put yer hand up around the header and feel if there's hot air ''spitting out''. Also check the hoses are all tight and that it's running up to temperature ok.

What happens to the noise when you pull the clutch lever in (keeping it ticking over in Neutral)

Does the fluttering quieten down or go away? If so, then it could be the common sound of the clutch basket moving around (they nearly all do that Sir!) - But, the noise didn't get louder as the phone went down to the casing, did it?

Silly question, but what's the oil level like? Is it the cheapest thinnest stuff off the corner shop shelf? A good brand of Semi Synthetic 10-40 will do it the world of good.

If you don't have a Stethasope, then get a large flat blade screwdriver, and put the handle in your best ear, and then touch/press/or lay the blade end to various parts of the engine...you can then ''hear'' and (maybe) pinpoint where the noise is coming from. You'll look a bit daft to those not in the know, but it's an old way of trying to close in on an internal noise.

Process of elimination I'm afraid, unless there's a Storm runner from the forum close to you that can run down (or up) to have a listen.

Keep us posted!!!
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
TheGingerBeardMan

OH YEAH.....

WELCOME to the asylum Loo Kahs! :thumbup:

No messing about on the introductions page....straight in with: ''here's me bike....wassamatter with it!!!'' :lol: Quite right too.

And I take it yer names Lucas? as the username suggests? Ah yes: ''Lucas - Prince of Darkness'' (old farts reference back to when lights and electrical stuff on vehicles were made by Lucas. They were crap back then, and the tag used to be ''get home before dark...'' :( :roll:

Anyhoo - Cheers and welcome aboard.

GBM (Dave)

alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I would get the cct's changed to manual as a matter of course and welcome to the forum. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:WELCOME to the asylum Loo Kahs! :thumbup:

No messing about on the introductions page....straight in with: ''here's me bike....wassamatter with it!!!'' :lol: Quite right too.

And I take it yer names Lucas? as the username suggests? Ah yes: ''Lucas - Prince of Darkness'' (old farts reference back to when lights and electrical stuff on vehicles were made by Lucas. They were crap back then, and the tag used to be ''get home before dark...'' :( :roll:
(Dave)
Thanks everyone for replies and Dave for the essay ;) I've recently moved down from Aberdeen to London, although I will be visiting this weekend. Whereabouts do you live Dave?

You are correct to guess my name, although I am sad to disappoint you that it is spelled with a 'k' and thus I have nothing to do with the exceptional built quality of Lucas electrical systems. In fact, I had to google to figure out what on earth you were referring to. Did you know there were dedicated websites for all Lucas related jokes? It does really tell your old age :)

I personally have no understanding of mechanics and so it will be my brother helping me out to get it sorted. It's currently not being ridden, but I think it was low on oil. As the bike is currently parked up at my brother's, I will not be able to carry out your suggestions till after new year. However, as I said, in person I've found it very difficult to hear anything as the exhausts are rather musical. Perhaps, when at the bike I will record some more videos again.

Questions:
1. When the bike is idle, and ridden, the exhaust does these pops which almost sound rhythmical. What is this indicative of?
2. When riding around some residential lanes I felt (several times) a knock between my legs (i.e engine, not excitement). I cannot pinpoint to the precise moment as it took me by surprise. Any ideas?
3. I've got an Almax chain which is quite beefy. Is there anywhere on the frame where I could lock it, as the wheel can easily be removed? We'll be away over Christmas and I'm slightly worried about its security :(

To do:
  • - Fill up oil (Semi Synthetic 10-40)
    - Change sparkplugs
    - Check if front header is blowing (hot air)
    - Check hoses are right & temp
    - See if noise varies when clutch is engaged
    - Install manual cam chain tensioner
    - Does cam chain need replacing?
Cannot wait to get it all in good working order and start riding!

</essay>
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheGingerBeardMan

How do again. HA! , yer only here 5 mins, and you know me already! - Yup, the essay writer. The forums official waffle master. :lol:

The popping sounds like normal spitting when run on the choke, but, I shall let someone with better ears come in with other (better) suggestions!

And the knock you are getting between the legs (and up through the tank) is the (in)famous ''Carb Farts''.

It's hard for me to explain in my 4 million words or less, so again, someone can chime in and take the floor, with maybe a link to what it is.....

I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Well, I know what a spanner is, but don't ask me which end to use when I'm hammering in nails. :lol:

Nah - I get by with my spannering skills, but there are WAY more experienced chaps on here. AND they can explain things in 2 paragraphs or less. :lol:

We all know time is precious, and a man hasn't time to take a week out of his life to read one reply from me. :think: :cry:

Location wise, I'm down in Shitsville. Or, Banff as it's been wrongly named on the map. :thumbup:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Answers...

1. Pops & bangs from the exhaust, generaly an air leak somewhere, check all the joints are tight & gaskets are sound. On a std exhaust system you have gaskets at the where the headers join the head...normally it wont be these ones...& 1 at each link pipe to the cans + one wher the rear header joins the main pipe, These are a graphite gasket which is about 50mm deep. However some aftermarket end cans dont use them. On these three joints you shoud have an exhaust clamp. The std ones can rot & fail.

2. The symptons you discribe of a thump between your legs...Carb Fart...basically a backfire from the carbs into the air box...try raising the idle speed up to 1200 RPM. bad cases may cause the bike to stall at very low speed like coming to a stop at a junction.

3. Chain round the wheel & swingarm & then if poss around a post if you can...or a ground anchor if you cant...I just happen to have a ground anchor for sale if your intersted...hahaha
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club Lukas, they are great bikes.

Mac, I worked for Lucas back in the 80's.... clearly this was after the whole Prince of Darkness reputation ... everything I worked on was highly reliable :D
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i would be more worried that the bike isnt yellow never mind your engine :wave: :wave: ..
welcome along by the way. exhaust blowing sounds like what you have but as said hard to hear on a phone.... do all the checks the guys have already put up and you wont be far wrong.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Lukas :thumbup:

A job to say if you do have a problem after listening to your video. I'm inclined to think the same as Dave (GBM) that you could have an exhaust/headers joint blowing,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Reading the title I thought it was going to be guess the engine !
I was looking forward to some blown v8s :( :Banned:
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

lloydie wrote:Reading the title I thought it was going to be guess the engine !
I was looking forward to some blown v8s :( :Banned:
I am sorry to have disappointed you. Here, have this to make up for it https://youtu.be/ND4EA0dnAM8?t=48s
fabiostar wrote:i would be more worried that the bike isnt yellow never mind your engine :wave: :wave: ..
While I would not object to yellow, red was on my list of must haves. It is interesting to consider why different people have strong preferences for specific colours.
MacV2 wrote:Answers...
[...]
2. The symptons you discribe of a thump between your legs...Carb Fart...basically a backfire from the carbs into the air box...try raising the idle speed up to 1200 RPM. bad cases may cause the bike to stall at very low speed like coming to a stop at a junction.

3. Chain round the wheel & swingarm & then if poss around a post if you can...or a ground anchor if you cant...I just happen to have a ground anchor for sale if your intersted...hahaha
Are the carb farts nothing to be worried about as long as they do not get in the way of actually using the bike? While I thank you for the kind offer, it is currently chained to a ground anchor and thus I will not be needing to buy your one :(

And hello back to all the friendly folk :wave:

I am currently stuck in somewhat of an irritating situation where my 3 year NCB expired last summer and supposedly there is a limited number of insurers who accept upto 3 year old NCB. Insurance is looking to be expensive :(
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

No major issue with carb farts to normal riding, just as said raise idle speed so it's not too much of an issue at low speeds, junctions ect...

''And hello back to all the friendly folk...'' Hahaha you havent met any of us yet...!

Whereabouts in London do you reside? It's a big place but there are a few Stormers who reside in the Big Smoke...

Insurance is always a pain, you'll get stung more for age, location & more if your note parked up overnight in Fort Knox...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...