Post by BigVeeGrin »

Been thinking for years about doing this and releasing my latent Dylan etc

So, how hard is it? What to start with?? Any tips? :Rock2:
Kev L

Re: Anyone play the harmonica?

Post by Kev L »

Not the first time an organ has graced your mouth though, is it? :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

I say get down to yer local music shop (if they even still exist?), and have a look at the different types. There's basic ones, small ones, and fancy ones with pitch slide buttons.

I tried many years ago with a blues harp, and by christ, do you need lungs like an athlete! I was fooked beyond belief. It's more than simply blowing and sooking (...that's what she said!) But, it got to a point where I could rattle some VERY basic things off whilst playing along to a couple (emphasis on the couple) of tracks, and even then, I'd lose it halfway through.

Breaking in a harmonica is probably the hardest part, cos all the reeds are solid. Blowing in and out is fine, but when trying to ''bend'' the note up or down, really takes some doing on a new 'monica. You'll think you're never going to get it to bend (oo-er missus!). But, this is when Percy Verance comes in. He's a great help.

And it wasn't hearing the like of Dylan or early Rolling Stones blues that got me started. It was an LP my Father had of Larry Adler. (Cue everyone asking ''who the hell is he?'')

The only bad thing about the harmonica is along the same lines as an accordion - there's no headphone socket to practice with to not upset the neighbours. We've almost all heard a kid at xmas who gets a mouth organ in his stocking (stop tittering! In fact...titter ye not) and within 2 hours the parents lose the plot and the 'monica is never seen again.

OK, adults are a bit more tolerant, and same can appreciate where yer going with it. My best place to practice was either in the woods when out with the dogs, or in the car (as a passenger!). Anyhoo - best of luck with trying it out. YouTube has HEAPS of starter vids and sometimes explains better than buying a book from a shop and trying to figure it out from there.

Ask around to see if there are any local bands playing that use a harp, and if you go up to them and explain what you are wanting to try, they can be very accomodating in giving tips and a quick lesson! - Or, place an advert on Gumtree, asking for starter lessons - there may be many an old guy willing to come out of retirement to teach you, or get you started.

:thumbup:

(edited: I noted heaps of obvious spelling mistakes - Typing in the half-dark with the glow of the monitor....must put a light on!)
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Good post GBM... :thumbup:

I know who Larry is...

Not sure about the last line tho...

''there may be many an old guy willing to come out of retirement to teach you, or get you started.''

Asking an old man to show you how to blow & suck... 8O

Your gonna have to word that advert very, very carefully ... :lol: :lol:

Still if you ask him nicley he might take his dentures out first...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I've been looking into playing the Harmonica, been learning to play the guitar for about 8 years now and taking exams, also learning to play the Jaw harp, which is quite fun.

I've not been able to source a tutor for Harmonica, but there are some really good basic tuition videos on YouTube.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

our Sharon does, but not Our Monica :lol: just the police siren thingy :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kev L wrote:Not the first time an organ has graced your mouth though, is it? :wave:
And it starts :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Kev L wrote:Not the first time an organ has graced your mouth though, is it? :wave:

lmfao :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Seriously M8tey ... Have a look at this guy playing a lurvely " Delta Frost " Bushman harmonica ..
probably the most bluesy and sweetest harmonica one can try ... although Hohners , Suzukis (yes
they make them ) are very good ... Bushmans can be purchased in the UK ... try Eagle Music shop
at Huddersfield .. about £30.00. get one to your taste ..
Now enjoy this little clip from a busker ... making one " talk " ... just incredible

http://www.bushmanharmonicas.com/

:thumbup: :wave:
macdee

Post by macdee »

Bill Clinton played one or was it the other way round
told you not to but oh no you knew better
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

macdee wrote:Bill Clinton played one or was it the other way round

i think that was monica playing the pink oboe :wave:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:thumbup: cheers all - thanks for the tips and Saintsman - great "the magic is in the frost". Awesome!
StormingHonda wrote:I've been looking into playing the Harmonica, been learning to play the guitar for about 8 years now and taking exams, also learning to play the Jaw harp, which is quite fun.
How far have you got?? I did classical guitar for a few years, years back. Might dust that down....... Also never heard of a jaw harp - interesting
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

BigVeeGrin wrote::thumbup: cheers all - thanks for the tips and Saintsman - great "the magic is in the frost". Awesome!
StormingHonda wrote:I've been looking into playing the Harmonica, been learning to play the guitar for about 8 years now and taking exams, also learning to play the Jaw harp, which is quite fun.
How far have you got?? I did classical guitar for a few years, years back. Might dust that down....... Also never heard of a jaw harp - interesting
AKA Jews harp...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew's_harp

Twang, biong, twang ect ect.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

MacV2 wrote:Twang, biong, twang ect ect.
"Can you guess what it is yet ... ?" :lol:
macdee

Post by macdee »

My granda played the mouth harp
Then after a few drinks he used the cork from a bottle tapping it off his teeth
That was his party piece and was always asked to do it as the night went on
told you not to but oh no you knew better