a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by fabiostar »

i just had to re visit it again... iv had that many false starts with this bike.. so heres the plan i had for today.

balance the carbs.

ride bike for about 40 miles or so, going the vey best, really smooth throttle pickup everywere. :thumbup:

remove said plastic cowl but not alter anything else at all.. got about 2 miles down the road onto a wide open road, bike starts to run like a bag of weasels again... mmmmmmmmmmmm

return to house.

replace said cowl and go for another ride and empty and entire tank of fuel and?

perfect again, couldnt ask for a smoother throttle at any rev,any speed, no pops no bangs ,large wheelies ,big numbers on the private road i used :clap: .

its only taken from the end of Feb to get to this point but, job done, mori motor can sit wrapped up cause i ant putting a spanner near it until i have to,,

several beers have been drunk. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

nothing to see here now, move along...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 pm i just had to re visit it again... iv had that many false starts with this bike.. so heres the plan i had for today.

balance the carbs.

ride bike for about 40 miles or so, going the vey best, really smooth throttle pickup everywere. :thumbup:

remove said plastic cowl but not alter anything else at all.. got about 2 miles down the road onto a wide open road, bike starts to run like a bag of weasels again... mmmmmmmmmmmm

return to house.

replace said cowl and go for another ride and empty and entire tank of fuel and?

perfect again, couldnt ask for a smoother throttle at any rev,any speed, no pops no bangs ,large wheelies ,big numbers on the private road i used :clap: .

its only taken from the end of Feb to get to this point but, job done, mori motor can sit wrapped up cause i ant putting a spanner near it until i have to,,

several beers have been drunk. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

nothing to see here now, move along...
I'm really pleased to hear that Rob :clap: :clap:
You did a good thing by trying the bike with the carbs balanced first of all, then with the cowl removed, and then replacing it and trying it again. With the results you got each time it would certainly appear the cowl was the problem.

Not that you ever want to have to go through all you did, but on a positive note it was good in one sense that your expert found the Mori engine bolts were only hand tight. Had you not had this problem you may not have found out this in time before something left go.

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

My experimenting with said part was much more short-lived, but the result was the same as yours; always knew my OCMD would be beneficial in some way, lol
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

strange strange old beasts and i cant get my head round why ,but it honestly feels like a different bike :clap: , and dare i say it, it reminded me how nice these old tubs can be
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am honestly so happy this has come to a close ... All is good with the world
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Well done Rob.Perseverance paid off in the end.Now swap the motor over and are you going to try the other tank again ?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Thank god Al is right thats it sorted :D . run another tank through it today and still going the very best.

and yes now i know its not the tank that caused all this as was suspected at the start il pop it back on after the amount of work that went into,, all it got today was i pulled the bar end mirror of and im running a standard set now..

it wont be doing many miles during the winter months other than the odd trip for fuel and getting a wee clean,NO spanners are going near it lol :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

What a result,

Great to hear,

Now I can put the Aspro away. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Don't need much of an excuse for a beer but this result is enough!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

alls good... yesterdays spin.

but... this all started back with the mori engine (which is now sorted) but on the same day i fitted the twin filler tank. which lead me a merry path for months so, to rule it out aswell i fitted my baking tray tank back on and the result....going bloody great :clap: :clap: whats the chances of this starting the same day i changed tanks? but thats everything ruled out and no more false starts thankfully :thumbup: :thumbup:

and we all lived happily ever after
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

it truly is a fecking mental journey you have been on!

given how well the bike was going for many months with the offending plastic shield always in place [and its not like you didn't have the carbs on and off during the time it was running well] , for it to then change to temperamental sh1t running ........ go figure, it must just take the smallest of position changes for it to disrupt the air flow .......... or was it when you put the "Dorey" mouth slot in the fairing!
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Well I’ll be damned!
Who would of thought after it had ran so well for so long without it?
Put the hammers, pallets and matches away. Good on ya for perseverance

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Looking good mate .

If you ever get the top fairing off could you take some pics of the headlight setup ?

I love the look of the offset light.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 pm Well I’ll be damned!
Who would of thought after it had ran so well for so long without it?
Put the hammers, pallets and matches away. Good on ya for perseverance Image

That was the one thing that came to my mind :crazy:

Chris.
thelens

Post by thelens »

The frustration of engine problems and being unable to locate what the problem is can drive you insane lol
On the bright side.... at least it was not a major problem, once found :D
Plus.... what a fantastic looking machine !
I would want that thing running too lol.