K&N: worth it?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

K&N: worth it?

Post by mik_str »

Hello,

I just picked up a set of Micron low-mount slip-ons on eBay and am looking forward to installing them shortly. I will likely be looking at re-jetting to maximize the benefits from the new cans (seeking mostly mid-range improvement as I use the bike mostly for sporrt-touring and very seldom rev it over 7K), and was wondering if I should invest in a K&N filter as well. I am getting mixed reports about whether or not they are worth the money. Some state that they help top end at the expense of mid-range,.... Can anyone enlighten me as to their own personal experience. Cheers
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Definitely!!!

The K&N uses a similar filter to the standard one but with their re-cleanable elemnt in the square hole
My pipercross replaces the whole thing with a foam element

There's a comparison image in the gallery under misc (when its working) of my mates Storm with Art race cans and K&N vs my Remus road legals with pipercross.
Mine aces it at the top end but his is MONSTER in the midrange

And the fuel consumption is loads better too (120 vs 95 miles to reserve)
so it pays for itself

Ben
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

ya lost me there, which gives the better mpg ? :?
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Much of a muchness really mate, they both give the improved MPG.
If you want slightly more top end get the Pipercross, for midrange get the K&N.
But obviously if you use the grunt more than the top end you'll get better mpg with the pipercross (coz its making less power) and vice versa

Ben
RQ

Post by RQ »

K&N.................... coz you can clean it properly whenever you want to without having to buy a new one each time! :wink:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

IMO it's all about the set-up. The K&N allows more air in than standard (hence re-jetting), but basically, more air means more fuel= more power!

But as has been said, it'll deliver a smoother power curve which is more important if you only use the bike on the road.

Conclusion: you can't live without one, even if it's just to say " yeah, bo**ox, bo**ox and a K&N and Dyno-jet!"
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Sure. K&N&Dynojet.
mrmojo

Post by mrmojo »

I've just installed a Κ&Ν (along with a set of Denso's iridium spark plugs, and 200ml's of Motor-Kote in the oil) with the purpose of decreasing fuel consumption. We'll see...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mrmojo wrote:I've just installed a Κ&Ν (along with a set of Denso's iridium spark plugs, and 200ml's of Motor-Kote in the oil) with the purpose of decreasing fuel consumption. We'll see...
Sounds interesting :!: Keep us posted :wink:
kevg

Post by kevg »

Whats motor-kote? some kind of friction reducer that'll make the clutch slip or something else entirely.
cheerz

kev