When is it time?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

When is it time?

Post by Mav617 »

When do you call it a day riding bikes? I use mine increasingly rarely and am conscious of losing skills/speed. I used to ride powerful bikes to work and back 365 days a year, but over time I'm using the bike less. I just worry that I'm losing my edge? Maybe I should just get out and ride more?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wicky

Re: When is it time?

Post by Wicky »

I've been using my Transalp 650 more and more as it is more comfortable esp over Winter, when chances to use the VTR's performance is limited anyway, and in a world of speed cameras everywhere. Though today I took the Storm out as it was dry but cold - then it startred snowing when I was out and about! I just wish the Transalp had the storm's engine which would equal say the new 10 grand Africa Twin!

In the next week or two I'm popping up to Bury St Ed to get the comfort kit fitted the VTR to see if that helps bridge between the two, comfot & performance as a compromise.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You'll know when it's time as you won't be asking this sort of question .
You'll empty the garage and buy a mx5 !!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

It will come and go in phases,

I stopped riding road bikes for about 4 years about 10 years ago. I just didn't have any passion for it, no mates into road bikes, family commitments getting in the way etc... I still managed to get some time out on the off road bikes, but I just didn't use the storm.
Luckily, I didn't sell the storm, as for the last 5years I have realy got back into it and it's the dirtbikes that sat unused.
I didn't do big miles last year, and I only got out about 10 times, but they were all for long weekends and up to 700mile trips.... You just need to join in to at least one OP Storm to remember why you ride bikes.

As long as you are aware that your skills will be rusty, and give your self time to get back up to speed, you don't need to worry about not riding every day.

Bottom line is that if you don't need the money, and you have space to store it.... Keep the bike as it will always be there when you need to put a smile on your face
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

lloydie wrote:You'll know when it's time as you won't be asking this sort of question .
You'll empty the garage and buy a mx5 !!
bike can stay. I do about 2-3k miles per season on vtr, but occassional track days keeps me sharp. I dont think more riding results in better riding skills. There is much more about how to ride, overall physical shape, and training off the bike like bicycle, dirt bike ...

Last year I bought old bmw e36 318ti, and this little car makes me incredibly happy :) It is somewhat comparable with mx5, but has roof, so winter is much fun, especially closed track on snow.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i sold up, lasted 2 weeks. Bought the CBF. Cant do without a bike really i suppose, and tbh, it was the buzzy fingers bit for me after the chemo etc. The CBF has changed my attitude greatly, i can see further up the road, have the ABS which is now a must as an old fart lol, maybe the Storm isn't as comfy as before?

I do need to be comfy, i will hopefully be riding down to Devon on the saturday in the summer as i missed last year. The year before i did 540 odd miles that day on the storm. If i had the Storm now i would be stuffed etc. I can easily do that on the CBF. Maybe try something else Mav?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I am 70 years old although i don't ride as often as i used to,i can't see myself getting rid of it (not yet anyway,sorry mac).I do think about selling it every winter,but then spring is just around the corner and then it's summer.I must say although it's not used much and i have only been to a couple of meets with this forum i am looking forward to a few meets this year.You are the only one that will know when it's time,but think of the fun you have had and the fun that's to come.Keep it.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I keeep coming back even after falling off & breaking bones.... :lol:

Had a long period without a bike up till '05 bought a cheap Dominator which got me back in the mood. Bought Ole Red in '06 as me commute went from 12 mile to 36 miles & rode it every day...Changed jobs & it became a play thing till I wrote it off in '13...A year off riding & by the time I was ready to get back on I had 2 in the cave...

Been back to commuting since March but then...crunch again...

Been out for short rides weekly over the last few months after the last bone snapper in Oct.

TBH never had much skill hence the crashes... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

If it's a money thing.Tax and insurance wise and barring the occasional mishap etc.Where else can you have the fun and freedom for not much more than a couple or three pints of beer per week.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
podman

Post by podman »

Depends on the individual, my Dad decided it was time to take up bikes 2 years ago and when he reached 70...

I think Len Vale Onslow was riding until he was over 100, it would be great to think he (and I!) will be riding until then.

You answer your own question when you said "I think I should go out for a ride more"..Maybe a riding buddy may motivate you more? Drag you along to a few meets or events, further afield ?
bertye

Post by bertye »

I'm 59 now and would definitely would not give up yet ( been on a bike since I was 16 with no time out). I don't get much mileage in, as I work from home, and when I have to go anywhere, I have to carry loads of metal component for my work. My days of riding to work every day of the year has long gone. I have always told the wife,I would give up if I think that my reflexes slow down. At the moment, they are very fast -about 2 tenths of a seconds. I was watching an item on the BBC about driving when tired ( it was the series on the NHS ). On tests, some were getting down to 5 seconds and is far worse that being drunk. The point I was amassed at, was the expected reaction time at a good time was 1.5 seconds. I looked at the wife and she at me and -WHAT. At 70 MPH and to take 1.5 seconds to react is 154 feet. So if you are getting slow to react, stop riding, and get a bus pass in one can. The thought of giving up :sad2
Last edited by bertye on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im coming 53 and been riding and racing them from i was 7. i walked away from them about 2007 and thought there has to be more things in life or other things i could,get into. after about 3 years i was bored stiff. i wore slippers,smoked a pipe and was a sad old b8stard just like the people i looked at every day and promised i would never be.

so i returned to what i know best,bikes. im now riding all year round and loving it as i know due to bits of me falling apart inside :D my time will come to return to being a sad old fuk sitting in the corner.. :thumbup:

i would say im much better rider now than i ever was. not maybe as fast as once was but smoother and when i start getting hit on the back of the helmet by flies ,i know its time to pack it :whatever
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i havent been to Brightoon in a while, i also like London quite a bit. I will contact you and meet up. I may bore the pants off you so you may want to meet up with others instead. That will get you out and about. You will enjoy your bike a bot more. lol. :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Mac, I have been wondering the same thing

I've had a few little offs, or miss my footing and the like

So I keep thinking about a smaller bike as the Storm is a big old lump in comparison

Even an sv650 is still a twin, half the weight and still about 70bhp so nippy enough where it counts

I must admit to rarely bothering to go over 70 anyhow

Maybe I should get the Ducati finished!!!

Maybe a smaller, lighter bike is worth thinking about?
baycat

Post by baycat »

your not ready yet its in your gens mav. just asked af jones.

et