Engine knock at low revs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
maniaka

Engine knock at low revs

Post by maniaka »

Hello all,

First proper post so sorry to jump on asking for advice.

I bought my bike last week - 2 days later CCT fails :lol: . Fitted manual ones this weekend (fun little job) - set timing and tension, no valve damage - all good. Bike runs fine and pulls strong with no side affects now.

However at very low revs at constant (very light) throttle or when slowing down (de throttle) sometimes there will be a knock coming from the engine engine. Not a very loud knock but causes some vibration through the bike. Also on the over run there is alot of popping now ... I like it :biggrin

First thoughts are maybe the cam chain is slightly loose and the knock is it slapping ? - I did air on the side of 7 - 8mm slack (which would explain why under acceleration / speed it is fine as under tension and when slowing down or at slows speed the chain will relax slightly). I will try tightening the tensioner slightly and see if this solves any issues. Did anyone suspect different.

Many thanks all :beer:

It's better in the wind: DFFD
Honda VTR 1000
Wicky

Re: Engine knock at low revs

Post by Wicky »

I bought my bike last week - 2 days later CCT fails
Hence why we recommend for new owners the priority job is to fit MCCTs - seem you were very lucky. Next on list of reliability items to mod is the R/R.

Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

Try not to lug the engine like a tractor engine - keep it in the right gear to keep the revs up. Popping usually caused by airleak in exhaust system, check manifold, header, link pipe is sealed and clamped tight, and that all the hoses underneath the tank are fitted back correctly & securely and aren't squashed or damaged.

Also what you describe could be carb farts - ensure idle is set to 1.2 – 1.3k to prevent it stalling in low speed situations i.e slow turns etc.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

What ^he said
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

I had that too (on new auto ccts, changing them soon). Did the stick coil mod and havent had it since......