Strange dip at 9k revs

General Bike chat
davebonline

Strange dip at 9k revs

Post by davebonline »

Ok, well I've had the bike for about a month now and I had my first proper ride out today covering around 120 miles.

I was with my mate who was on an 08 GSXR 1000. My Storm performed flawlessly all day pulling strong in every gear, but towards the end of the day there was one straight road where I really opened her up. I was in second gear and the bike pulled strongly and really strong after 7k revs, but as it reached 9k it went flat as if hitting a rev limit. I throttled back and then on again and it pulled through past 9k.

Up into third and exactly the same thing, pulled really strong then stronger after 7k but went flat momentarily at 9k. Throttled off then back on and it pulled through to just below 10k before I changed up.

All I can say is that it feels like there's a rev limit at 9k. Aside from this the engine pulls really hard and doesn't lack power at all.

It's a 98 bike with very low mileage so I don't think it's been used much at all in the last few years.

Does anyone have an idea what this issues could be?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
fabiostar

Re: Strange dip at 9k revs

Post by fabiostar »

i wouldnt want to be going to far past 9k on a big v twin lol... all the funs over by those revs on most storms but,id give the carbs a good clean and check all the hoses are ok with no kinks in them and airfilter condition.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
8541Hawk

Re: Strange dip at 9k revs

Post by 8541Hawk »

It's a fueling issue. Tank screen, float valves,petcock all the small passages in the carbs would be the first things to check
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.