Couch to 5K

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Couch to 5K

Post by Mav617 »

Anyone done this? The idea is to alternate walking with running, until you can run 5K non stop. I'm giving it a go, just completed week 1 (of 9) :eek2
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Kev L

Re: Couch to 5K

Post by Kev L »

I just run till I fall over then walk a bit and repeat until a kindly sole takes the poor ageing gent home!
:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Probably will happen at some point if I keep doing it Kev! :thumbup:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Build up slowly mate. If you go headlong at it it hurts and will put you off. Try to enjoy it. Difficult when your lungs are trying to crawl out of your nostrils!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If you can't get above 5k it probably means your legs are 180degrees out :lol:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I thought you where talking about watching 5K films for a moment. Don't forget to stretch :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

AMCQ46 wrote:If you can't get above 5k it probably means your legs are 180degrees out :lol:
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
Murv

Post by Murv »

Yup, just finished it. Last Friday actually was my first 5K :cool2
Never thought I'd be able to run, ever, but have since done another 5K Monday morning and another one today.
One little tip, the app assumes you'll be able to run a 10 minute mile which is quite tough going, so once up to week 6, I ran by distance instead of time. Made it much harder during the training, but I didn't want to finish the program and then have to carry on training to be able to do the full 5K.

It really does work, good luck!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Cheers Murv, I am strangely enjoying it so far (early days) :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If only I could run. I can just about walk let alone run. Got an MRI scan tomorrow. The things we take for granted.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

AMCQ46 wrote:If you can't get above 5k it probably means your legs are 180degrees out :lol:

lol :lol:

I heard on the radio the other day that ed sheeran had put on a stone and a half by mistake and lost it/got fit by doing 10 minutes of sprinting for 30 seconds then jogging for 30 seconds as an exercise regime. :thumbup:

I,d have thought selling all those records and bonking all those Hollywood type birds would have taken it out of him ?

good lad though , still does gigs in pubs in Ipswich occasionally and gives his clothes to a charity shop in the little market town he grew up in
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

got fit by doing 10 minutes of sprinting for 30 seconds then jogging for 30 seconds as an exercise regime. :thumbup:
It's been proven that this can be better for you than going out doing things like Marathons or going to a gym for hours on end. Michael Mosley done a programme on it where he visited some of the worlds best trainers, physicians and sports scientists.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ought.html

What I would like to know is after running 5k what country do you end up in :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Dark, thanks - encouraging :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Since my enforced two month holiday from bikes last year I have been using the train to get to work. It means four walks totalling just over an hour a day.
I'm also nearly three months into my six month no alcohol self-imposed punishment.
I feel fitter but more tired, wanting to go to bed earlier, compared to my previously sedentary lifestyle.

I say sedentary, more like sedimentary, really.

However my daughter now gets the same train as me in the mornings, and as the walk to the local (!) station is through woods I was a bit concerned about her safety.
So I bought a couple of pushbikes.

Journey time is now down from 17 minutes brisk walking to five minutes pedalling. But bloody hell, my upper thighs hurt!

I don't remember feeling any pain from riding a pushbike last time I tried it, just before my sixteenth birthday.
I wonder if modern pushbikes are built differently?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.