Immobiliser Problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Boubepo

Immobiliser Problem

Post by Boubepo »

I seem to have a problem with my Immobiliser

It was already installed on the bike when I bought it - So in all honesty I know very little about it - I'd rather the bike didn't have it at all as it has generally been a pain in the butt

But now the button on the ignition key fails to make contact [Indicators fail to flash) and the small alarm indicator bulb on the tail no longer periodically flashes

Without disabling the immobiliser I can't start the bike - Ive checked the wiring as best I can for the unit - which seems okay and checked the fuse which also seems okay

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and if so - how they overcame it

Big thanks
B
tony.mon

Re: Immobiliser Problem

Post by tony.mon »

Tried a fresh battery in the remote?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
podman

Post by podman »

Best solution ive found to older alarms/immobilisers starting to muck around is to rip them out ...
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Hi, Thanks for the replies

I've tried 2 newer batteries - plus the original but still nothing

To be honest most bikes here in Spain get nicked by being thrown in the back of a van - So I've never seen it as much of a deterrent - Just a pain in the butt

I would gladly disconnect it but is it as simple as it sounds? it seems to be wired into the wiring loom and seems to head off in several directions - I'm no electrician
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

To avoid any problems if you aren't electrically minded, remove the whole loom and fit a spare one.
I have one if you need it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

My chum is a car alarm installer and I got him to remove a bike alarm from my Yamaha. Took him an hour and a half. I suspect that's quicker than replacing the whole loom.

As you say, alarms can be rather pointless and old alarms a right pita. Just get in uninstalled by someone who knows what they are doing.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Managed to find this video which explains it - looks like 13 wires coming from the unit but 3 [pairs] are the boys to reconnect - What can possibly go wrong? ha! Watch this space! :cool2

cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Removing a aftermarket alarm is not hard at all, I've removed one on my SP2, it will take you about an hour, just take your time, find the alarm box and follow the wires that lead out of it to where they join into the loom, all you have to do is cut the wire out where it joined and re-solder the existing wires back together in the loom, the only thing that will happen that will startle you is the tamper alarm will go off in the alarm box, but just cover it with a rag to mute it untill the battery inside it runs out.
Trust me, it works.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Had the same experience with a datatool alarm. My recommendation is disconnect it. You don't need to be an electrician. Just find the wiring diagram for your alarm on the net. I suspect all wires are black so it may help to put some tape around each wire and number it to start off with so you can keep track. Once this is done Mark up the wiring diagram and start cutting and re-soldering. Just be slow and methodical.
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks for all the helpful info

I have a few days off next week so need to tackle it

One other option which came to mind - was buying a second hand unit - disconnecting the cables from the secondhand one at the block connection and bolting the unit on as a straight replacement

For £20 it has to be worth a try or is there a glaringly obvious mistake to this plan? Which I can't see which will render it a total failure? lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/META-MOTORCYC ... SwHHFY-8GQ
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

[quote="Boubepo"]Thanks for all the helpful info

One other option which came to mind - was buying a second hand unit - disconnecting the cables from the secondhand one at the block connection and bolting the unit on[/quite]
Don't bother, just get rid of it, they can be a pain in the butt, as you mentioned in an earlier post, bikes around your area tend to be picked up and thrown into a van, no alarm will stop that happening.
Like what you do
Do what you like
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Don't bother, just get rid of it, they can be a pain in the butt.
Last edited by cheekykev on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Sorry don't know what happened here, I seem to have multi posted.
Don't bother, just get rid of it, they can be a pain in the butt.
Last edited by cheekykev on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

[quote="cheekykev"][quote="Boubepo"]Thanks for all the helpful info

One other option which came to mind - was buying a second hand unit - disconnecting the cables from the secondhand one at the block connection and bolting the unit on[/quite]
Like what you do
Do what you like
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks CheekyKev I agree with you completely - they are a pain in the butt and I'd rather be rid of it

But being a lazy Hombre.........

I was just looking for an easy option. I reckon bolting a new [secondhand) unit on could be done in under 30 mins

Disconnecting 13 cables and making reconnections - soldering etc would take me half a day

In all honesty I will probably go for a disconnection but while I'm weighing it all up - and with the secondhand replacement in mind - does anyone know if removing the protective cover over the block connector on the immobiliser is likely to trigger the unit into permanent immobile mode?