fine points or both

General Bike chat
teagie

fine points or both

Post by teagie »

just wondering what happens if u get a pull from the plod with racing cans on. and what can i do to resolve the issue but the cans have to stay :D
bikes beer beer bikes in ne order . my past machines kmx 125 nc 24 vfr750f cb500 cb600 hornet tl1000 (97) bmw f650f bmwf650cs fzr1000 exup tl1000 (99) vtr firestorm (97)
kiwi_vtr

Re: fine points or both

Post by kiwi_vtr »

1st time round got a warning and told if caught again within 7 days will face fine and points.
Naturally now have "legal" race can..............
I am in Essex , so not to sure about the rest of the country.

Scott.

teagie wrote:just wondering what happens if u get a pull from the plod with racing cans on. and what can i do to resolve the issue but the cans have to stay :D
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I have a traffic cop who lives about 50 yards away, who reckons he would do me for a small plate, but reckons the loud pipes help people know you are coming, so therefore they are a safety feature. mind you he is a biker as well.
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

London Filth don't seem to be bothered, they'd rather nick serious criminals like people travelling at 31mph, who aren't staring at their speedo. As long as the can is not marked 'Not For Road Use' you should be fine. As the man said-I'd rather let them know I'm coming and would never ride a quiet bike in London, and I always ride on high beam too for the same reason. Remember: Loud pipes and high beam-gets you heard and gets you seen.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over...."
teagie

Post by teagie »

hmmz mine has exactly that NOT FOR ROAD USE :) well did have better get the old dremel out :lol:
bikes beer beer bikes in ne order . my past machines kmx 125 nc 24 vfr750f cb500 cb600 hornet tl1000 (97) bmw f650f bmwf650cs fzr1000 exup tl1000 (99) vtr firestorm (97)
Druid

Post by Druid »

Spacemonkey wrote: Remember: Loud pipes and high beam-gets you heard and gets you seen.
Complete baldrocks.

The average car driver sits in his insulated box, listening to the radio/cd player blasting away and is oblivious to most of what goes on around them. Half of them don't hear the sirens on the fire engine sat 3 feet off their rear bumper, so they've no chance of hearing your loud pipes until you are alongside them. On the rare occasions that I drive, I don't hear bikes until they're next to me. I do see them though, but then I'm more bike aware than the average driver. In towns, loud cans may make pedestrians more aware of your presence, though it's hard to pinpoint the direction that the sound is coming from due to reflections from surrounding buildings.

The muppets who use high beam really piss me off. They dazzle me, and they make it difficult to judge how far away the bike is. Bike headlamps are at a similar height as most car interior mirrors, so a high beam is certain to dazzle the driver.

Highway Code: Lighting requirements

94: You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
Law RVLR reg 27

I have loud cans on my bike because I like the look and the sound of them. I don't usually turn any lights on in bright daylight, though I do use them if the weather is sufficiently overcast.

I prefer to trust to my own riding skills to avoid collisions, rather than assume that someone has seen me because I have my main beam on.
droid

Post by droid »

I ride on dip beam. Do you, druid? Like you I prefer to use my riding skills (!?) to avoid a collision. I also prefer to give the cagers half a chance to see me. Best all round to get past them.
teagie

Post by teagie »

The muppets who use high beam really piss me off. They dazzle me, and they make it difficult to judge how far away the bike is. Bike headlamps are at a similar height as most car interior mirrors, so a high beam is certain to dazzle the driver. m8 to be honest i dont care how far away u think i am at least u know iam there :)
paddy_skipton

Post by paddy_skipton »

f*ck the high beam sh*t,blinds everyone,bikers included
i got art cans on my storm but they have had that rear bands rerevited with the bs numbers on
will i get away with it?
kevg

Post by kevg »

Anyone see a can of worms opening here....don't know about the riveted bands, i'm sure the biker plod know about them, but for now they will do, although i've heard the regs will be changing soon to close the loop hole,, legal/illegal with add ons like bands/decibel killers.

high beam/low beam we can debate it all day, its down to the driver that pulls out in front of you...are they a lazy b8stard that didn't look in the first place.

people don't see a fire engine with the lights and siren going so the lights on an insignificant bike are negligable (sp), thier excuse that you were going to fast or they didn't see you is all the defense they need it's down to you to try your best not to be a statistic and thats the end of it.

in the end its the wrong place at the wrong time...our funeral.
cheerz

kev
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

WRT to re-badging cans the message is DONT DO IT

Removing the 'not for road use' by overenthusiastic cleaning -ahem :lol: is one thing but actually marking a race exhaust with a BS number opens you up to a charge of perverting the course of justice or summat like it which is way more serious than a £30 slap on the wrist
HOWEVER
If the copper that pulls you doesn't really know what he's looking at then they may well work in your favour

High beam
The only time I use high beam for visibility is when filtering in busy traffic when I use the flasher

Ben
Druid

Post by Druid »

teagie wrote: m8 to be honest i dont care how far away u think i am at least u know iam there :)
So it's ok for you to annoy other road users for some percieved safety advantage rather than drive defensively and actively take responsibility for your own safety? Do you have any proof that riding with your main beam on is safer - if so, post the link because I have never seen such proof. Anecdotal evidence is not really acceptable here, let's try to be rigourous.

You seem to be a rather inconsiderate rider. There again, a lot of people seem to lack consideration for others in many areas of modern life.

I do hope you never post some complaint about another road user's inconsiderate behaviour, as that would smack of hypocrisy.
Druid

Post by Druid »

droid wrote:I ride on dip beam. Do you, druid? Like you I prefer to use my riding skills (!?) to avoid a collision. I also prefer to give the cagers half a chance to see me. Best all round to get past them.
I don't always use lights, usually do when filtering (dipped beam, yellow bulb). On the two occasions I've been involved in a collision where a car pulled out in front of me, I was using dipped beam. If they don't look for you, they won't see you no matter what lights you have on :roll:
Druid

Post by Druid »

Stormin Ben wrote:WRT to re-badging cans the message is DONT DO IT

Removing the 'not for road use' by overenthusiastic cleaning -ahem :lol: is one thing but actually marking a race exhaust with a BS number opens you up to a charge of perverting the course of justice or summat like it which is way more serious than a £30 slap on the wrist
HOWEVER
If the copper that pulls you doesn't really know what he's looking at then they may well work in your favour
New regulations from this year state that you don't need a BS mark to be legal. Exhausts must not be marked as not for road use, and should be no louder than the original equipment, but a BS or E mark is not required.
droid

Post by droid »

If they don't look for you, they won't see you no matter what lights you have on

I ride on dipped all the time. The only collision I've had in 80,000 miles was with a car. The dipped beam didn't help.

I ran into him!

(finds wood to touch)