K&N: yes or no?

General Bike chat
mik_str

K&N: yes or no?

Post by mik_str »

I recently took delivery of a set of Micron oval (race, I believe) slip-ons and a Dynojet kit which I hope to install in the very near future (note: FYI the Dynojet jet kit is identical to the Micron kit, same needles, springs,...). During the installation process, I will be disabling the PAIR system, adjusting the TPS and installing a long intake trumpet on the front cylinder (increase lows and mids). Based on info received from the well-known VTR tuner at Revolution Racing I will not be drilling my slides (doesn't recommend it for a street bike). My big dilemma now is whether or not to invest in a K&N air filter. I essentially use the bike for sport-touring and want more punch in the midrange (max. 7K rpm). I have been doing a lot of research in the matter of getting the K&N or keeping the stock filter in place and have been getting mixed messages with some claiming that (once properly jetted for of course) the K&N increases power across the rev band while others claim that it gives better top-end but at the expense of mid-range. Does anyone know for sure? I want to get this straightened out once and for all so I do not have to repeat the re-jetting process all over again for nothing. Again, I am mostly looking for extra punch in the mids and am not overly concerned with high-rpm power. Your input would be GREATLY appreciated. Dyno numbers to confirm seat-of-the-pants feelings would also be very welcome. Thanks again and this is the last you will hear from me on this topic.

Cheers
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Here's a link to a dyno chart of my bike with Pipercross filter fitted & road legal Remus'
verses
my mates with K&N and race pipes

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... ce%20cans)

As you can see his is monster in the midrange but mine is better 'oop top'

Ben
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

My Monster 900 made an extra 7 bhp throughout the entire rev range with stg 2 dynojet with open K&N and Remus Grand Prix. If your gonna let the pipes breathe you have to let the air in in the first place... From what I gather the needle on the dynojet kit is a different 'profile' than the others and is thus superior.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over...."
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Thanks guys,

btw Ben, the link did not work for me. ???????
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Oh, that'll be coz the gellery's up the swanny at the mo!!
Try this one then

Ben
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Sorry Ben, still no go. Thanks for giving it another go though :)

In regards to my K&N question, my main concern in asking this question is the power curve. Gaining 3 hp on top is not worth a 4 hp drop at 5K, it is really that simple.

On another note, I just got back from riding my 'Storm with the 43 teeth rear sprocket and I love it. I also shimmed the rear shock 4.5 mm and raised the forks 6 mm and the results are awesome (of course the shortened wheelbase from the larger rear sprocket also helps). These minor changes have transformed the bike. I am really looking forward to getting those pipes and jet kit on there. Woohoo!!!!

Again, if anyone has experience comparing stock filter vs K&N (both properly jetted and with aftermarket pipes preferably) I would certainly welcome your input.

Cheers
Micky
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

God I hate computers!! Begs the question why I have a job in IT I suppose but in reality its so I can get my revenge on them :lol:
PC + 240V AC = satisfying crackle and smell of burning!!!!!

Third time lucky
http://benholland.members.beeb.net/Ben-v-Geoff4.JPG

The K&N is still breathing through that small square hole in the middle of the big plastic bit so although intake velocity is higher (better midrange) its stifled at the top end slightly

The Pipercross is ENTIRELY foam so loses out in the midrange coz the intake velocity is a bit slow (think putting your finger over the end of a hose pipe; same volume of water but smaller hole = faster water) but at high revs it is flowing enough air to make decent power

Ben
DD

Post by DD »

mik_str wrote:Again, if anyone has experience comparing stock filter vs K&N (both properly jetted and with aftermarket pipes preferably) I would certainly welcome your input.

Cheers
Micky
well I've been looking in to this a bit closer to home.... do you guys get DNA over there? cheaper than K&N.
anyway heres a couple of links.... check em out if ya like.

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1113870739

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1113702599

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1113801838

LOL.... just noticed that you are a member there anyway :wink:
cheers Darryl
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stormin Ben wrote:God I hate computers!! Begs the question why I have a job in IT I suppose but in reality its so I can get my revenge on them :lol:
PC + 240V AC = satisfying crackle and smell of burning!!!!!
Same as me (although i dont have a job at the moment.......again). I just like confusing users..... very satisfiying.
Rich.

yellafella

Post by yellafella »

DD

Post by DD »

yellafella wrote:Anyone heard or tried this mod ?
http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1111133695
Na I havent...... but seriously thinking bout this mod tho... simple but afective http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1103237904

But in my mind the screw mentioned adusts the fuel mix... as in the fuel side not air side of things so winding it in would that not restrist the fuel.... making the bike more leaner???????????? not what ya want after puting the DNA/K&N in.
cheers Darryl
Max

Post by Max »

Further to ridge removal, has any one tried running 2 intake tubes the same length. I read somewhere that the rear carb has a long one to keep down emissions noises and that if you put another front on in then it will improve things at the top end. Conversely a long one on the front will improve mid range.......
Any one got any ideas :?

Max
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

Interesting to note that Firestorms don't like open airfilters-ie ditching the lid entirely- like on Ducatis. Is this because of the huge carbs methinks???
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over...."