Where to get VTR serviced in the West Berkshire area

Best deals in town
plivesey

Where to get VTR serviced in the West Berkshire area

Post by plivesey »

Title says it all really. My yellow shed of a VTR needs a service. It hasn't had one in about 2 years and is just at the 16,000km mark.

It still goes like a steam train but engine has a few rattles and needs a good seeing to. Can anybody recommend a decent garage/mechanic. I'm just outside Newbury but am willing to travel if it's worth it.

First person to mention Probike in Newbury gets a slap :)
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

plivsy,

I live in Swindon. In the end I gave up and do all the work myself. Usually buy stuff from Busters - never been disapointed and they're good value.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

I know, I should really service it myself but I've just finished rebuilding my fully road legal CR500 supermoto, my Suzuki Goose is in bits in the garage and I've a good deal of work to do to my very tired Mitsubishi FTO.

The storm is my everyday, long distance bike and I just want it taken care of and taken care of well.
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Aaaaah !!! Thatcham ! Remember it well !!!! :oops:
Actually i do'nt ! and its probably just as well !!! :oops: :oops:
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

Fortunately I lives just outside Thatcham :)

Any storm owners in the area who want to make their bike look good are more than welcome to park it up next to mine.

Are there any storms in the area? I've seen the odd one or two in Newbury but not many.
duzzy

Uh-huh

Post by duzzy »

Yep I am the proud owner of a 98 silver vtr and live in Basingstoke.

I am gobsmacked at how bike and tyre technology has come on....puts my 78 bonnie into perspective :D

J
Nooj

So, errrr

Post by Nooj »

at the risk of a slapping, what's wrong with ProBike? They have been a bit erratic recently but they seem to be getting back to how they were. The missus and myself have been using them for a few years now and we've always had top treatment.

Just interested, like.
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

A little too much history between me and them. They refuse to have one of my other bikes (CR500 road legal supermoto) in their workshop because they don't like it. They wouldn't even do a chain and sprocket change for me.

Last time I tried to get an MOT done there they were talking months rather than weeks to get it booked in.

They're also a bit expensive and sloppy at times, in my experience anyway.

YMMV but generally I now do my own servicing. All garages get a couple of chances with me before I go elsewhere. Currently I'm still looking.
Nooj

Post by Nooj »

Not got any real experience of anywhere else, Salisbury Honda used to have a good rep, but I've heard bad things about then recently. Abindon Honda seem friendly, can't vouch for their workshop skills though. I've heard good things about George White in Swindon and On Yer Bike (near Ayelsbury?) But again I've not had any work done by them myself.
Good luck.
chaz

Post by chaz »

only ones I can point you to are Whites in Swindon, I know they have set up a chain along the M4 corridor, Taylors in Chippenham sound like probike, unless you bought it from them they dont want to know.
How about Mike Wheeler in Whitney, a regular thumpercross rider a few years ago. http://www.mikewheeler.co.uk/find_us.htm
Mr Fluffy

Post by Mr Fluffy »

It would seem I resurrecting an old thread here, but I would recommend Des Helyar in Tadley. I've used him in the past (about 7 years ago) on my Kwaka GT550 and now I'm a proud new owner of an 02 'storm I'll be using him again.

Des Helyar Motorcycles
5 Pamber Hth Rd
Pamber Heath, Tadley
Hampshire
RG26 3TH
0118 9700665