Long Termers

General Biker Banter
kenmoore

Long Termers

Post by kenmoore »

Like me there are many people,that have been on this forum for years.

I can't help but wonder how members bikes have arrived at their current state and am curious about the journey that the owner took.

I have enjoyed every minute of the trip with my VTR right from when I first got it.

Asthmatic piece of sh1t absolutely Stock Standard including the pipes to where it is now.

This picture was taken almost 2 Years ago with some mates out in the "Bush" where the boys in blue don't go !

Please post up the pics of your bikes so that we can share the experience.

I got a lot of inspiration from another site that some on here frequent and likewise from the other site that visit here.

Stories please !

Oh and Pics too. :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
tony.mon

Re: Long Termers

Post by tony.mon »

In my case its best summed up as "couldn't leave well enough alone".
No pics, 'cause it changed specs every week or so!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

My 98 met its demise in May 2016..Image It has 68,000 miles or so on it all but 1200 mine.

Two days after my crash I found her replacement a 2001 with 16,139 miles, now at 31,751

Dont really have any current pics of the over all, just ones from Mods and changes ..have to fix that

So 14 years of VTR ownership and no end in sight.. While I would enjoy a new bike, I dont think Id enjoy it more then riding my SuperHawk, or my RZ350, Ninja650R, DRZ485 SuperMoto but even with choices, the VTR gets more ride time then anything else
Last edited by E.Marquez on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I've had an 18-year relationship with my "mobile laboratory". I have always wanted a vehicle I could transform to my vision, for my particular needs and my VTR fit the bill. I have been riding for over 40 years and have had bikes all this time except for a short stint in the late 90s. When I decided to get a bike again, I decided to look into a large displacement Vee, the idea being to find a bike with a linear and torquey powerband (this after having an FZ750 which I loved, but which had an addictive power rush at 6,500 rpm - a recipe for driver's license issues). I picked up my steed used (2 years old, 15,000 km on odometer). I recall how it felt slow my first ride (no mad rush of power like the FZ). I set about making a few changes initially (Sargent seat, taller windscreen) to better suit it to its intended use (long street rides). Well, next came a set of slip-ons and the rest is history. I have tried many things over the years, many of which are custom or one-off and am proud to say that everything worked as expected (it helps to do your homework beforehand; only f**k up was cutting a hole in the shelf located below the airbox next to the steering head... as Fabio learned). 260,000+ kms on, it is an exceptional motorcycle, sublime in every way, an accomplishment that fills me with joy and pride. Suffice to say I will never sell it...
Last edited by mik_str on Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Keep the info coming !
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

2013 i think it was i had a ZX7R and didnt like it. so swapped it for a near standard storm with high bars. fell in love with it, changed pipes, and lots of different things over 5 years of service. heres how it looked when i sold it on, i did buy it back for a while then sold it on a second time.. one of the best storm motors iv ever ridden and still going strong for a mate of mine

then it all went t1ts up when i seen an add for what looked like a spondon chassis 3 odd years ago. i cant find any pics of the creature i drove 500 miles for but it wasnt pretty :eek2 :eek2 .
built it up with a standard motor and i was happy.

but it wasnt how i wanted it, and a chance phone call from a strange man saying do you wana buy a track bike turned out to be a mori race motor sitting a Roger Ditchfield mori frame..

game on..

motor and other bits pulled of, the frame and swinger is now owned by Nick on this forum

after many nights spent making it all work and with help from folks on here with parts like pipes and the like.. i had what id always wanted. they it sh1t on me this year and didnt run properly but thats now sorted :clap: :clap: :clap:

i can say in 35 plus years of bikes iv never felt lows and highs like it :eek2 .

its not a rivet counters bike. iv a load of stuff like wheels and footrests and other original bits tucked away and used more modern stuff as i wana use it. i dont want it to be a garage queen that gets bullshit talked about it but never goes out.

warts an all i love it, but sometimes hate it lol.. but its mine, i built it , i bust my balls at times actually. is it for sale? not a chance..

and this is how it sits now.

would i do it again? not until hell freezes over.

the end.. or so i thought lol

iv just bought another one, for some strange reason

the end :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I sold my 05 VTR, several months ago, after long and painful deliberations. I brought it back from the dead and it was special to me. It was one of the most fun bikes I had ever owned and also one of the most narrow usage bike I had. It was only a matter of time before I got into serious trouble with it. The good news is the guy I sold it to was absolutely in love with it.

I kept the 2000 VFR and still have it but even that is becoming troublesome. I have been having knee and hip issues that make riding sport bikes really uncomfortable. I picked up a Guzzi Quote and it fits me a bit better.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Like it! Can't recall seeing a Guzzi Quota before, which seems a great comfy general purpose bike. I use a Transalp and a Triumph Tiger for similar reasons.

I fancy the new Adventure V85 Guzzi except for the price tag!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

My first Storm 'Ole Red' bought with about 7k on it, doubled that in the first year, sadly writen off in 2013 since then I've had 14 Storms pass through the MacCave... Some kept, some sold, one broken up...

Custurd Is the one I commute on daily 70+ miles per day, bought off a member who needed it gone as he had car troubles, had something like 28k on it. The intention was to sell it on but I lost the use of the work van to commute to work with so started using it for the run into work. Two crashes, several broken bones it now has 68k on it...

This week I have mainly been following the T.Mons. School of cleaning...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Big_Jim59 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:58 am I sold my 05 VTR, several months ago, after long and painful deliberations. I brought it back from the dead and it was special to me. It was one of the most fun bikes I had ever owned and also one of the most narrow usage bike I had. It was only a matter of time before I got into serious trouble with it. The good news is the guy I sold it to was absolutely in love with it.

I kept the 2000 VFR and still have it but even that is becoming troublesome. I have been having knee and hip issues that make riding sport bikes really uncomfortable. I picked up a Guzzi Quote and it fits me a bit better.

Hi Jim, hope you’re keeping well fella
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Kev L wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Big_Jim59 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:58 am I sold my 05 VTR, several months ago, after long and painful deliberations. I brought it back from the dead and it was special to me. It was one of the most fun bikes I had ever owned and also one of the most narrow usage bike I had. It was only a matter of time before I got into serious trouble with it. The good news is the guy I sold it to was absolutely in love with it.

Hi Jim, hope you’re keeping well fella
:thumbup:
I'll Second that. Good to hear from you Old Bean! :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Well, I had two VTRs, the first was a fast black that was a dog, or Hound, that turned out pretty nice and then I sold it. A few bikes later I got a hankering for another Storm this one in the unjustifiable Teal scheme, bog standard and actually bloody nice. That went for a very nice looking but rather bland SV1000S. Now I commute daily on a BMW F650CS. Would I have another VTR? Possibly, but more likely I'd get another TRX850 if I could find a half decent one, though I do like the look of that Guzzi Quota.....

Image Image
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!