Hot frame!

General Bike chat
VikingTor

Hot frame!

Post by VikingTor »

Can any of you tell me if the frame of the Firestorm is supposed to get that freakishly hot? During city driving the frame below the tank is getting so hot I can't touch it with my bare hands! And I imagine in cold weather it will be of the same use as my earlier bikes' exhaustpipes for handwarming.. I get the same problem, though of less kneeburning severity, during more decent-speed driving.. Is this normal due to the engine being part of the frame and all? The temp meter shows normal readings..

Been a firestorm owner now since the start of may! And loving it! My last bike was a 600 ninja, and - well.. fun though the ninja was: V-twins rule!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Yeah, mine get's fry-an-egg hot. Luckily, in oz, with our overabundance of wildlife, if you're stuck in traffic, you can grab a fresh one off the side of the road & cook up a snack :wink: .
trebs

Post by trebs »

After a month of riding mine I was getting worried about what I thought, high temps of frame and engine. Now it's about 28c outside, not stupidly hot but enough to get the temp up to 103c and for the VTR's fan to start whirring when I slow down to go through villages.
I've been told by several sources that this is all part of the deal.. Big modern 4-strokes and their nature.

And I thought my NS400 got warm....
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

You have a strange diet VTR Girl. The last dead Roo I rode passed was so bloated you couldn't see it for the flies. :D

My storm isn't too bad, but I do find that in traffic, in summer, the temperature gauge needle is disturbingly close to that little red mark. The frame doesn't get too hot though.
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Alienist wrote:You have a strange diet VTR Girl. The last dead Roo I rode passed was so bloated you couldn't see it for the flies. :D
Ummm... I meant a fresh-laid egg... :roll:
Last edited by VTRgirl on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Mine used to get hot, but only after a real thrash in summer.
But it dont get any where near as hot as my NC30 does. Have to leave it outside to cool down before putting in the garage. The NC's frame gets un-touchable its that hot.

Robb
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Ah yes, i see my error now. 8O
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
VikingTor

Post by VikingTor »

So, the VTR actually has a built in "wear your leathers" function.. Not bad :)