Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:41 am I am always upsetting the Ducati and Guzzi purists :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was called a redneck biker vandal the other day :lol:

Time to overhall the hydraulics… just waiting for some new bolts to assemble the callipers. everything was in surprisingly good condition, just a strip and rebuild needed. Then onto the job I hate most… Polishing! I have a 2 HP 3000 RPM motor I use for this. Its a long, filthy and somewhat dangerous job. I try to do it all in one day as you get filthy, and its the sort of dirt that won’t wash off with hand soap, so I have to use washing up liquid!

I have also rebuilt the forks and put in new seals and dust covers, and some fresh oil. they are very simple forks, no where near the sophistication of the Ducati ones I normally do!

I'm getting the impression you're a bit of a rebel :lol: :lol:

All the polishing looks ace :clap: 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I had a formal warning yesterday over the deposits left in the shower tray from the polishing :oops: :oops: 8O 8O :Banned:

I have read on a few forums that over the miles the preload on the pinion bearings gets loose, and sure enough it spun Just a little too free. So I removed a thin shim and re-torqued it up after inspecting the bearings which were like new. I couldn’t use a torque wrench so I used a balance on a long spanner and calculated the pull needed for the correct torque.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Better to have found that out now :thumbup:

I like your workings with the set-up you have built and calculated to get the correct torque value :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I am amazed at how little wear there is on the engine and gearbox components. there is no disenable wear on the crank or bores, pretty good for 30k miles! I cleaned out the sludge trap in the crank but it was clean, glad I did it though as the bung was far too lose for comfort! it has a dab of retaining compound on it now. the only wear I have found so far is a roller bearing in the rear drive, and as you can see there is pitting on the inner race. this will be replaced.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice to find the engine and gearbox in such good condition at 30K miles 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

well the frame is back from the powder coaters, along with the plating of all the smaller parts. Its always a dilemma what colour to go on the plated parts… I can have them silver, but the corrosion protection long term is much less than the yellow passivate, so yellow it is!

the frame has come out superb as usual, but the swinging arm is terrible. I knew it was pitted, but he said when he blasted it, big flakes of rust came off, and although he coated it, he knew it would not be acceptable to me. He did say he could improve it, but I decided to try and find one that’s less corroded. We will see.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:26 am well the frame is back from the powder coaters, along with the plating of all the smaller parts. Its always a dilemma what colour to go on the plated parts… I can have them silver, but the corrosion protection long term is much less than the yellow passivate, so yellow it is!

the frame has come out superb as usual, but the swinging arm is terrible. I knew it was pitted, but he said when he blasted it, big flakes of rust came off, and although he coated it, he knew it would not be acceptable to me. He did say he could improve it, but I decided to try and find one that’s less corroded. We will see.

:lol: I like it, I'm glad I'm not the only fussy b*gger :thumbup:

Good to see the forks, calipers and frame etc back together 8)

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Keep up the good work and posting your progress 👍👍
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Turning an engine into that many small parts horrifies me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:25 pm Turning an engine into that many small parts horrifies me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if its an engine that I am not familiar with, what I normally do is have a series of trays numbered in the order I take things apart. in this case while I am not familiar, there is an excellent picture by picture build sequence on the Guzzi forum :D This is such a chunky, simple engine though...

Its cars that get me...many mechanics place the parts on the floor in a line as they take them off when doing something like a clutch, then put the back in the reverse order... I went to my mates workshop a while ago and he was doing the clutch on an Audi RS6... the line of parts up the workshop was unbelievable :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 He had his head in his hands as while they were taking the exhaust header off, they snapped a stud off :( so they were trying to remove it with the engine in situ... he told me later that they had to remove the engine to drill it out... :eek2 he said another line of parts up the workshop! Imagine the bill... :eek2 :eek2
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

While everything is on hold while I wait for the cases to come back ( blaster has Covid and is really poorly...) I agreed to help a friend of a friend who was struggling with two broken studs in a cylinder head, so I though I would share my knowledge on removing them...

removing broken studs is always a problem, especially where someone has had a go first! in this case they had drilled off centre and then broken an easy out in the bottom! in 50 years of doing this stuff I have NEVER seen an easy out remove a broken stud in alloy… My technique for broken stud removal is to first clean the head of the stud with a burr in a Dremel to get it nice and clean. Then use a half nut the same size of the stud, but drill the threads out so again its nice and clean.

Place the nut central on the stud and start off with the TIG on low amps and just puddle the weld on top of the stud.. This permeates the heat down the stud… Build up the weld inside the nut until its flush. I have the electrode sticking out a bit more than normal to get close to the stud top. You can use MIG, but TIG is FAR better... Once its cooled a little, give it a tap with a small hammer for a bit of shock. then try working it back and forth… its its too tight, or squeals as you try to turn… it stop. Then if its possible drill a hole into the alloy from the side and JUST into the stud. over a couple of hours feed some Plus Gas (wonderful stuff!) in the hole and work the nut back and forth… I have had great success removing studs this way in alloy.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:47 am
fabiostar wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:25 pm Turning an engine into that many small parts horrifies me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if its an engine that I am not familiar with, what I normally do is have a series of trays numbered in the order I take things apart. in this case while I am not familiar, there is an excellent picture by picture build sequence on the Guzzi forum :D This is such a chunky, simple engine though...

Its cars that get me...many mechanics place the parts on the floor in a line as they take them off when doing something like a clutch, then put the back in the reverse order... I went to my mates workshop a while ago and he was doing the clutch on an Audi RS6... the line of parts up the workshop was unbelievable :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 He had his head in his hands as while they were taking the exhaust header off, they snapped a stud off :( so they were trying to remove it with the engine in situ... he told me later that they had to remove the engine to drill it out... :eek2 he said another line of parts up the workshop! Imagine the bill... :eek2 :eek2
That sounds like very good advice with the series if trays :thumbup:

I enjoyed reading about your mate doing a clutch on an Audi RS6, well apart from the snapped exhaust header stud, as we all know what that feels like when that happens :shh:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:15 pm While everything is on hold while I wait for the cases to come back ( blaster has Covid and is really poorly...) I agreed to help a friend of a friend who was struggling with two broken studs in a cylinder head, so I though I would share my knowledge on removing them...

removing broken studs is always a problem, especially where someone has had a go first! in this case they had drilled off centre and then broken an easy out in the bottom! in 50 years of doing this stuff I have NEVER seen an easy out remove a broken stud in alloy… My technique for broken stud removal is to first clean the head of the stud with a burr in a Dremel to get it nice and clean. Then use a half nut the same size of the stud, but drill the threads out so again its nice and clean.

Place the nut central on the stud and start off with the TIG on low amps and just puddle the weld on top of the stud.. This permeates the heat down the stud… Build up the weld inside the nut until its flush. I have the electrode sticking out a bit more than normal to get close to the stud top. You can use MIG, but TIG is FAR better... Once its cooled a little, give it a tap with a small hammer for a bit of shock. then try working it back and forth… its its too tight, or squeals as you try to turn… it stop. Then if its possible drill a hole into the alloy from the side and JUST into the stud. over a couple of hours feed some Plus Gas (wonderful stuff!) in the hole and work the nut back and forth… I have had great success removing studs this way in alloy.

Thanks for the tips on removing sheared exhaust header studs from a cylinder head. I like the idea of how to managed to get some Plus Gas in on the threads through a drilled hole side on, I didn't know why I have never thought of that. Yes, I like using Plus Gas myself for that type of thing,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:05 pm
I enjoyed reading about your mate doing a clutch on an Audi RS6, well apart from the snapped exhaust header stud, as we all know what that feels like when that happens :shh:

Chris.

Yes, as my mate often says... every 30 min job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am
sirch345 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:05 pm

Chris.

Yes, as my mate often says... every 30 min job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :clap:

Chris.