Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

Looks like the guy that does my blasting is still poorly, :cry: so I have turned to working on the next project until I get all the Guzzi cases back... something I don't normally do as I like to do one project a time...

There are a few things I can get on without getting seriously into it, one of which was to make some tapered inlet manifolds. This is another 1000DS Ducati build and I am exploring the Idea of using a small supercharger off a VW 1.4 TSFI... Watch this space :thumbup: we will see once I get properly into it, but for now here is how I made the manifolds.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:54 pm Looks like the guy that does my blasting is still poorly, :cry: so I have turned to working on the next project until I get all the Guzzi cases back... something I don't normally do as I like to do one project a time...

There are a few things I can get on without getting seriously into it, one of which was to make some tapered inlet manifolds. This is another 1000DS Ducati build and I am exploring the Idea of using a small supercharger off a VW 1.4 TSFI... Watch this space :thumbup: we will see once I get properly into it, but for now here is how I made the manifolds.

Your next project sounds interesting 8) 8)

Good to see the video, thanks for posting :D

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

All the parts are back from the blasters, so its cleaning time… nothing scraps an engine like leaving glass media in there so its important to get it all out. I have a process I use for this. First I wash it all off in petrol… paying attention to all nooks and crannies, holes and oilways with a long thin bottle brush. then I jet wash it off, and blow it all off, including all holes. (you need goggles for this!) then its into a stainless steel tray and another wash off with petrol, and then I use carb cleaner with a long spout into all the holes and oil ways… if there is ANY single bit of media in the tray, its back to jet washing and blowing off again. Its easy to see any media in the stainless tray. Here is the gearbox in the stages of being built up.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to hear your blaster guy is back at it :thumbup:

Great tips on cleaning out the glass media from all the different engine parts, gearbox and oilways etc,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Onto building the engine… of note is the tool to compress the clutch, which is actually the centre splines off the gearbox, and a threaded bar into the crankshaft. this makes the plates perfectly aligned and makes fitting the gearbox easy.

next the cylinder heads… it took three attempts on these to get the bead out of one oilway! note the new tin of grinding paste, the old one has run out of the fine end, but it was 50 years old, I can remember my Dad buying it me as a teenager! Good to see the company is still going and using the same tin! Just to be sure I checked the bores for wear… there is none at all! Got to love Nikasil bores!

here is the engine and gearbox all back together… I decided to add some accurate timing marks on the flywheel for each cylinder so I can use a strobe and see what’s happening in reality. used my new digital DTI gauge… not sure I like it… watching that needle go round is far more satisfying!

and finally its all back together and ready to go into the frame

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That engine is looking great 8) :clap:
The rounded cylinder fin's really come into their own now it's all together :thumbup:

You must have shares in the factory of where those carbs come from :wink: :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Yes Chris :lol: I have bought a few! so have my mates as well... one of them has just bought a Mikuni carb for his Harley off the seller... 1/4 of the price and perfect.

Here is the finished final drive with a new bearing and seals.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Looking good :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

The engine is now back in the frame, a nice and easy job with the removeable bottom frame rails…

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I didn't want to use the frame as a breather as it can rot them out, and rust partials can drop down so I am told... so I decided to make a new breather the vent the crank case and also the heads. Here is is... will it work? Who knows, we will see!!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:06 pm I didn't want to use the frame as a breather as it can rot them out, and rust partials can drop down so I am told... so I decided to make a new breather the vent the crank case and also the heads. Here is is... will it work? Who knows, we will see!!

Well I never, that's something I haven't heard of before.

It looks like a fair amount of thought and work has gone into producing that breather.
I'll be interested in hearing if it does what you are hoping it should, fingers crossed it does,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Two jobs today... first was to make a paddock stand. I hate the universal ones as they are very difficult to get a bike on one on your own..., and often not that secure. this one positively locks onto the wheel spindle, and when its on the lift I can clamp it to the top so its nice and secure.

The second was to make some bushes out of bronze to take the play put of the clutch lever as the hole had worn oval. I drilled it out and made some over size top hat bushes. Finally, here it is on its wheels!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Oh Well Done, it looks like it’s coming on a treat.
:thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I like the stand, that's great :clap: :clap:
And the new top hat bronze bushes for the clutch lever 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I pondered for a long time on the throttle arrangement for this bike… I wanted to keep the pull to open, pull to close for a couple of reasons… First, its safer… manufactures didn’t go to this arrangement for no reason as bikes evolved. Second, it means you can have much lighter return springs, which in turn males the throttle much lighter, particularly if you are going for a quick action. . A light fast action action throttle feels like you have 20 BHP more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

I couldn’t find a 4 cable throttle anywhere, so I ended up making one from scratch…