Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

the engine build is well underway…its a nice and simple engine to build, I do like the way honda gets all the tolerances spot on! While I was on I polished the ports, and matched the inlet manifold to the head. I also did a bit more Cerakote, and I have to say its easy to apply, and gives a superb finish, I would say that its easily up to factory standard! I have used the air dry titanium colour on the side case for a bit of contrast and will also be using this on the oil lines.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I’m impressed with the Cerakote finish you’re getting too 8)
The thought of using it on my Firestorm oil lines also went through my mind,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I would give it a try Chris... I did mine today, they are currently drying

Onto rebuilding the forks, boy the oil was black in there! they were all OK though so new seals and dust covers, and some new oil. I often hear of people replacing fork seals and still having them leak afterwards…. This is often because people install the seals by tapping them in with a punch! this invariably damages the seal lip, hence they leak. the best way to install them is with a nylon collar supported in the vice… that way you can tap them in nice and square and get then seated on the bottom of the land.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Tony for the vote of confidence regarding using Cerakote on my oil lines :thumbup:

A good reminder on fitting fork seals. Great to find the forks in good order I'm sure 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

The engine is all back together now and I am pleased with the results. There will be a break in my posts for a while as I am off for a bit more sun :lol: :wave: :wave:

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

buzzer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:03 pm The engine is all back together now and I am pleased with the results. There will be a break in my posts for a while as I am off for a bit more sun
Let me guess. The wife booked a holiday for the pair of you so she could drag you out of the garage before she forgets what you look like
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a good one :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:18 am
buzzer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:03 pm The engine is all back together now and I am pleased with the results. There will be a break in my posts for a while as I am off for a bit more sun
Let me guess. The wife booked a holiday for the pair of you so she could drag you out of the garage before she forgets what you look like
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a good one :D

Pete.l
:lol: :lol:
buzzer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:03 pm The engine is all back together now and I am pleased with the results. There will be a break in my posts for a while as I am off for a bit more sun :lol: :wave: :wave:

Being 'Old Skool' I just can’t help liking the look of cooling fin's and it’s simplicity 8) 8)
All looking good Tony :thumbup: :thumbup:

Enjoy your time in some sunshine, I have just got back from mine, not nice coming back to this weather :thumbdown:

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Engine looks lovely, enjoy the sunshine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

painting day… I debated on painting some of the parts satin black, but I actually like the fake carbon, plus its very durable. The fuel filters came as well.. I bought an 8mm and a 6mm one and swapped the parts over to compensate for the fact the fuel tap is a smaller pipe than the carb!

I was going to put a standard Honda decal on the tank, but then I saw these and liked them… not from the usual supplier, but the seller also sent me some samples so i could test the compatibility with the laquer. It was fine thank goodness. When painting over decals there are a few tips… first off I always do a first coat of laquer and let it dry, i never put them on the base coat. then I wet sand with 1000 wet and dry and then stick the decals in place. Now the important bits… Always wipe the area with panel wipe… this is for two reasons. Firstly, there is always some adhesive on the edge of the decal, and secondly they often have silicon on them and that makes the paint cess. I always give a mist coat over the decal and let it tack off, the reason for this is if you hit it with a full coat first you end up with runs off the horizontal edges of the decal.

I looked at the filler cap that came new with the tank and decided it looked crap, so I took it apart and made a new on incorporating a breather.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That is looking tidy :thumbup: . love those we fuel filters, very neat looking.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I think the carbon effect on those parts works really well with your favourite colour of the petrol tank :thumbup: :thumbup:
Also with the linkage parts as well, nice looking job :clap: :clap:

Those fuel filters are very neat looking as Rob say's :D

I appreciate all the advice on spraying lacquer over decals like that, many thanks,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have come to a standstill now until the powder coater finishes my frame and parts, which is quite frustrating! Like so many business these days he just can't get good reliable staff so has a backlog...

I have also finished the wiring diagram ready to do the electrics.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I can imagine you are chomping at the bit to get going now :) hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the powder coating to be completed,

Chris.
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

buzzer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:03 pm
the tank is new and of a Honda CG 125, and fits well, just a bit of adjustment needed. it's nice quality, can with a locking cap and a petrol tap... £38 delivered! how do they do it!

Not saying they saw you coming, I bought a tank that looks similar, there was a choice between that and a “cafe racer tank”. It was £23 delivered from huang dong or wherever it came from. I bought it as an alternative to Bungeeing a green plastic can to the frame of my Ariel.
I looked at it as a factory made, with rolled welds, alternative to an indian, probably made in someones back yard from old gapatti oil cans. Among youtubes fines suggestions one day was a Pakistani factory; guess what they were making, yep looked suspiciously like my “cheap chinese tank”.

Glad I found this thread, I have seen numerous pics of the orange bikes. Looking much better than stock. And the thread has answered a few questions. But this bike has made me wonder if I should put a honda engine in a 1934 Velocette!
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

there is a douglas dragonfly online with a 400-4 motor. i actually have the very rusty remains of an ariel leader, no engine but a honda would fit nicely! although i have too much going on at the mo which is maybe just as well!