Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

Wow, more industrious work going on here I see :thumbup: :thumbup:

I like the official warning bit :lol: :lol:

Where do all these carbs keep coming from :?: or is it a trade secret :eh: :shh: :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:49 pm Wow, more industrious work going on here I see :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where do all these carbs keep coming from :?: or is it a trade secret :eh: :shh: :lol:

Chris.
I get the carbs from China... I have bought a load in the past! However my favorite seller is no longer on Ebay, but I found another and it came within a week. I can deal direct with the factory but there is no guarantee like you have with Ebay. they are £150 each on there.

My mate wanted a Mikuni for his Harley.... the kit was £650... so he took a chance and bought one direct from the factory for £67! took a few weeks to come, but it was a perfect copy! it runs a treat!
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

hmm, wonder if they do one for my velo LE...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:31 pm
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:49 pm Wow, more industrious work going on here I see :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
I get the carbs from China... I have bought a load in the past! However my favorite seller is no longer on Ebay, but I found another and it came within a week. I can deal direct with the factory but there is no guarantee like you have with Ebay. they are £150 each on there.

My mate wanted a Mikuni for his Harley.... the kit was £650... so he took a chance and bought one direct from the factory for £67! took a few weeks to come, but it was a perfect copy! it runs a treat!
That is good to know :thumbup:

Thanks for the information Tony,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

haynesjones66 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:23 pm hmm, wonder if they do one for my velo LE...

I bet there is something out there that will fit! here is the page...

https://fdhuaqiang.en.alibaba.com/produ ... ndex.88.27
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

youre a star, thanks!

pete
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

now one of the more satisfying jobs… exhaust fabrication! the original headers were 28mm but its very hard to get any sorts of bends in that diameter so I went up to 32mm, which aesthetically I think looks better. 32mm bends are available in quite a few angles, its just deciding which ones you need, and that’s just an eyeball thing.

Its not that difficult to make a system, its more time consuming. Cuts are made using a 1mm cutting disk in the angle grinder, and if you wrap masking tape around the cut line you can get it very accurate. then it’s a matter of assembling it together, initially with Jubilee clips. I cut slots in these so I can tack it in situ. A tip about tacking is to double the amps on the welder to what you would use to weld… and then put the tiniest of tacks in place. A tiny tack also has the advantage that it does not pull a gap on the opposite side that you will get if you make big ones. Three tiny tacks are actually very strong, but if you make a mistake, can easily be broken by touching them with the cutting disk. 

Note the 2 way spirit level… this is a VERY useful (and cheap!) way of making sure build lines are correct. If you have the bike vertically (using a long spirit level on the wheel) and horizontal you can place the 2 way level on the bike and tape it there… that becomes your datum. To get it right on this bike I had to drop the stanchions through the yokes as I will be replacing the 19″ front wheel with a 17″ on soon.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

It actually frightens me how good the welding is on that :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What a neat looking job, it looks great :thumbup: :thumbup:
That must have taken some working out, it's not like having a pattern to follow,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have agonised over what to do about the number plate… In the end I decided to copy the current crop of bikes that hang it off a bracket off the swinging arm. I quite like how CCM do it so have sort of copied their design. I have used thin wall steel tube which is always difficult to bend, so to prevent kinking I fill the pipe with sand. First I block one end off, and weld a nut on the other. Then its filled with dry sand until its below the threads in the nut. I then hold the tube against the bench grinder and the vibration compacts the sand, so I fill it again. Finally a bolt is tightened onto the sand which compacts it furter.

Doing this means its far less likely to kink as its bent!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That is looking very professional, many thanks for the tips on bending the thin wall steel tube :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have used these GPS speedos on a few builds now, it makes things simple, neat and light. The hole for the ignition switch made a handy holder for the warning light LED’s!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Last year when i brought Dori to the mot station they failed me because i had a gps speedo :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

thats some very nice pipe a tube work . :clap: :clap:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:13 pm Last year when i brought Dori to the mot station they failed me because i had a gps speedo :eek2

Next time ask him where in the testers manual it says a GPS speedo is a reason for failure... indeed the speedometer is not part of the motorcycle test. you don't even need a mileometer! If he argues, just ask for form VT17 which they are obliged to carry... this is the DVSA "Appeal an MOT test result" form and has the effect of shitting up any MOT tester :lol: :lol: :lol: Submission of this form immediately brings the ministry in with all the associated problems that will bring :thumbup:

I did it a few years ago after a mates wife took her car in for MOT at a well known chain. I had serviced it a few weeks previous for her so I was surprised that it failed on exhaust, brakes and suspension I sent the form in for her and a few days later took the car back to the garage at a set time to be greeted by the tester and the Ministry guy. The tester and branch manager were VERY sheepish... The ministry guy did the MOT and passed it!

One of my best mates helped write the latest revision of the car and bike testers manual :biggrin He said the test station mention above would be on the list of unannounced inspections for a while where the Ministry guy sits in a car up the street on his laptop and watched for the garage to log a completed MOT... then he pounces! :biggrin :biggrin they take a very dim view of garages using the MOT as a way of increasing revenue

I sometimes send him pictures of stuff I build and ask if that will pass... his stock answer is "well I couldn't fail it, but it's not in the spirit of the regulations" :D :D