Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

Things don’t always go to plan… :roll: I dropped the speedo and of course the glass cracked. Very frustrating! My first reaction was to just buy another… then I got thinking… maybe I could repair it? So I made a new bezel out of aluminium and tried to peen it over… first attempt failed, it was too thick, so I made another, and that worked perfectly! One tip when bending aluminium is to aneale it first. To do this mark it with a sharpi pen and heat it.. when the marks disappear, its the correct temperature for annealing! just let it cool…

I was able to turn a new glass out of 3mm polycarbonate, clamped between two pieces of aluminium, and a revolving centre. I guess there are now a couple of advantages… the alloy is more in keeping with the bike, and i was able to remove the GPS logo. While the MOT man is not bothered, (its not a reason to fail) A GPS speedo does not comply with construction and use regulations.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very frustrating I'm sure, I bet the air was blue :lol:

I like the way you held the 3mm polycarbonate in the lathe. At least you ended up with a better job in the end, well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the tip on the annealing for this job :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

This build comes to an end, just in time for spring and the better weather! Took it for MOT today and it passed with no problem… But then again he follows my builds!

I did spend a very frustrating day yesterday.. I measured the voltage to check it was charging... It wasn't! I set about fault finding ( the electrex worldwebsite has a fantastic fault finding section!) and everything checked out, I couldn't understand what was wrong... In desperation I asked my mate to pop round... First thing he di was check the volts... with his meter... It was charging! the fault was my meter!

I will update in a while when I have put a few miles on it... first impressions are very favorable! Its very light and weighs in at 139KG with a bit of fuel in there... On the road it feels torquey and nimble!

Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

That looks fantastic, it may need a hugger to stop you getting smothered from the back wheel though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's a bit of Honda monkey bike with a stretch swingarm from some angles...
It should feel lively with that weight and power.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Flippin' 'eck Tony you don’t hang around, another fine build, well done 8) 8)

I can imagine it is nimble with that weight and power.

Don't you just love the simple fix when you are looking for something more complicated, well done to your friend and his multimeter :D :D

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

As this build finishes my mind turns to the next project, I have 6 months to think about it as I like to ride over the summer months... Yesterday I moved the cars and bikes out of the garage so I could give it all a good clean. Moving the bikes around made me realize just how heavy the Guzzi feels (200kg) its manageable for me at the moment, but I am sure a time will come when that also becomes too heavy... The Ducati's weigh in at 165- 168 KG and with the high bars, they are easy enough to move around. The Honda feels super light in comparison! Incidentally I rode a Honda Montesa last month... at 80 ish KG that felt like a push bike!

I think the next build will be a single cylinder, and as powerful as I can find... which means going for a watercooled bike. maybe quite modern, and perhaps accident damaged/reparable salvage... we will see, watch this space! suggestions welcome! :thumbup:

MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

buzzer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:11 pm Things don’t always go to plan… :roll: I dropped the speedo and of course the glass cracked.
I modified quite a number of RD350 with self made speedo/tach/water temp stickers.
One part of the job was to pry open the aluminum ring at the backside with a small and sharp screwdriver.
After removing the stock coating from the gauge plate, I put my design on and reassembled everything.
The last step was to put it on a hard surface with a soft cloth in between and cautiously hammer the aluminum back to close the ring again.

The result looked like this:

(BTW: it's for sale, if someone needs it)
Bye
Martin
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:27 am As this build finishes my mind turns to the next project, I have 6 months to think about it as I like to ride over the summer months... Yesterday I moved the cars and bikes out of the garage so I could give it all a good clean. Moving the bikes around made me realize just how heavy the Guzzi feels (200kg) its manageable for me at the moment, but I am sure a time will come when that also becomes too heavy... The Ducati's weigh in at 165- 168 KG and with the high bars, they are easy enough to move around. The Honda feels super light in comparison! Incidentally I rode a Honda Montesa last month... at 80 ish KG that felt like a push bike!

I think the next build will be a single cylinder, and as powerful as I can find... which means going for a watercooled bike. maybe quite modern, and perhaps accident damaged/reparable salvage... we will see, watch this space! suggestions welcome! :thumbup:

What a cracking sight that is 8) 8)

And you're thinking about your next build already, I like the bit where you said "single cylinder, and as powerful as I can find..." :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not the easiest of tasks to come up with something like that to fit the bill :problem:
We'll have to start head scratching :D

Enjoy your summer months Tony, I look forward to what you could be building next come winter :eh:

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

buzzer wrote:As this build finishes my mind turns to the next project, I have 6 months to think about it as I like to ride over the summer months... Yesterday I moved the cars and bikes out of the garage so I could give it all a good clean. Moving the bikes around made me realize just how heavy the Guzzi feels (200kg) its manageable for me at the moment, but I am sure a time will come when that also becomes too heavy... The Ducati's weigh in at 165- 168 KG and with the high bars, they are easy enough to move around. The Honda feels super light in comparison! Incidentally I rode a Honda Montesa last month... at 80 ish KG that felt like a push bike!

What a superb collection Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Single cylinder you say.... Any Moto3 bike should do it all pushing around 50 bhp. 250 cc

KTM RC250GP, Honda NSF250R
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That is some serious line up :clap: :clap: :clap:

a big single with power? gotta be a husky701 or the ktm version, 70 plus bhp standard :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Honda XBR 500 perhaps
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN