front brake upgrade

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dkt1376

front brake upgrade

Post by dkt1376 »

just fitted new calipers from a cbr600 f4i onto the front of my storm, the best mod i have done yet, the brake are now fantastic.
i read about the mod on a superhawk owners site in the usa,.
worth every penny of the £38 quid it cost me.
i bought the calipers from ebay and they cost me a total of £20 with the postage for both calipers and £18 for new pads.
the calipers almost bolt sraight on with alittle bit of grinding to the calipers.
i fitted them on monday night after work outside my house on the side of the road with minimal fuss, i used a home made bleed bottle from a small tupper ware box and a bit of pipe i had in the shed, i fitted and bled them out one at a time on my own, and now with minimal pressure i can get the back wheel off the ground two up.
if your brakes are poor this mod is simple and it work great.
a landrover d2 and a ktm, i had to have a honda to restore relability in my life.
t00lkit

new brakes - wow

Post by t00lkit »

dkt

Just replaced my front pads with EBC HH sintered pads, and gave the calipers a real clean at the same time.

Not sure I like them now, they are just too sharp! As you say, minimal pressue and you're nearly over the front end.

I liked my old brakes where I could slam them on coming into a mis-read corner, let off a bit :oops: and get round.
no chance with these beasts, I'll be over the hedge and in a field before you could say bugger!

Don'tget me wrong, I'm not slow, I'm just used to weak brakes.

Maybe I just need to get used to them and treat them more gently, progressive as they say....

Still cannot believe how much differnce they have made, not even changed the fluid as yet, plus still on rubber hoses too!!!

Good luck with the new calipers
t00lkit
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

its just a matter of getting used to them i had this when i put them on my gixer like they say practice makes perfect
The voices made me do it
Stormin Ben

Re: new brakes - wow

Post by Stormin Ben »

t00lkit wrote:dkt

Just replaced my front pads with EBC HH sintered pads, and gave the calipers a real clean at the same time.

Not sure I like them now, they are just too sharp!
Don't worry, the EBC HH's go off reasonably quickly. You'll be back to unsharp braking before you know it :lol:

Ben
Bink

Post by Bink »

Stormin Ben wrote: Don't worry, the EBC HH's go off reasonably quickly. You'll be back to unsharp braking before you know it :lol:

Ben
That's true - Remember that they were too sharp when I had them on my zx6r (so sharp that I lost the front end when I had to do an emergency stop...) .... They 'loosend' up afterwards.

As you said Tool's you need to get used to them .... and as you do, the pads will bed in so you'll meet somewhere in the middle and everybody will be happy .... :D

Just makes me think though - I have HH pads to be fitted and am planning to clean the calipers & replace the brake fluid at the same time... And I have braided lines ... Wonder if it's the right thing for the Storm? Have standard Honda pads now and still 2 finger braking is enough.
twintin

Post by twintin »

just how much grinding is involved and do you have the superhawk :roll: site details cos i'm very interested in this as the calipers are dead cheap on flea bay :D
cheers mate
ps photos would be nice :D
its not rust it's character
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Bink wrote:Just makes me think though - I have HH pads to be fitted and am planning to clean the calipers & replace the brake fluid at the same time... And I have braided lines ... Wonder if it's the right thing for the Storm? Have standard Honda pads now and still 2 finger braking is enough.
Definitely worth doing.
Although the EBC's do feel loads sharper to start with its only til you get used to it (bit like getting into a car with power assisted brakes after my old Polo)
You can never have too much stopping power and you'll find you're still using two fingers but not having to squeeze so hard (so you have more feel)

Ben

PS Bendix pads rule -not as sharp/grabby as the EBC's and much better on track