VTR track bike conversion

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

gilson

Re: VTR track bike conversion

Post by gilson »

sirch345 wrote:
gilson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 pm It went really well thanks, no accidents, although my front brake was loose and leaking after the first session! Holy hell. All good though.

Had a great time with my mate on a low mileage '98 R1. They are still so very rapid. But the grunt and confidence inspiring ride of the Firestorm hunted him down a few corners later.

The lightened flywheel makes such a difference which I'm appreciating more and more.

It's difficult to separate the braced swing arm from new tyres, but it tips in very quickly, almost falling down, is very stable in the corner and just encourages an early fully open throttle. Wonderful!

I met a fellow firestorm owner who has a GSXR for a track bike. It's in Lucky Strike colours and looks amazing. He has a Firestorm as a road bike and came over when I was loading it on to the trailer. I mentioned this forum, so hoping he joins, I mean, how could he not know about this place?!

He said two things. He was annoyed that I kept going past him on a Firestorm (of all bikes), but not as annoyed as his friend on a V4 Ducati. I'd like to think I'm a good rider but it's easy to think that when your not riding a 20K+ bike. It was well taken and well meant. And please note that I'm in the lower/medium group, certainly not the fast group.

I hope there are some good pics but I wasn't paying any attention to where the photographer was. Too busy concentrating.

An excellent day.
That's good to hear all went very well, well apart from the front brake leaking of course, although I'm glad it didn't have any big issues.

It sounds like you had a great time, and the bike did good 8) 8)
You can't really ask for more than that :wink:

Chris.
You are so right, Chris.

The brake was a bit of a surprise. It was fading so I went to adjust the span, thinking it was just warming up. That's when my friend gave it a squeeze and fluid came out. It was more like a squirt than a weep. Could have been a lot worse.

I should do a bolt check before each session, starting at that one!

I love my VTR! ;D
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

New profile picture
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gilson wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 pm New profile picture
That is a cracking photo 8)

A good suggestion to do a check on nuts and bolts on a more regular basis,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Cracking! Great to see you having fun on it Gilly :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great photo, looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Great photo . Well done 👍👍👍
gilson

Post by gilson »

Thanks chaps, certainly having fun.
No bike (yet).
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Wow! That certainly is a lovely looking track bike -well done! And it's a great action shot as well.
Unfortunately, I'm still not able to ride on the track as the bones haven't fused and ned a bone graft so that's me out for the rest of this year as well. :(
gilson

Post by gilson »

RodneyT wrote:Wow! That certainly is a lovely looking track bike -well done! And it's a great action shot as well.
Unfortunately, I'm still not able to ride on the track as the bones haven't fused and ned a bone graft so that's me out for the rest of this year as well. :(
Thank you.

I do hope you heal quickly.
No bike (yet).