crash bounce bugger

General Bike chat
stu9000

crash bounce bugger

Post by stu9000 »

Ok, im at work trying really hard not to shout and jump up and down.
White van man got me on my commute this morning, pulling out through traffic.

With my goodridge brake lines freshly fitted I almost managed to bleed the speed off, but still bounced off the side of his van, smashing the headlight and doing damage to the faring.

Forks ok, im ok, but I have not had the faring off as yet so i dont know if its pushed anything around inside.

Bugger BuggerBuggerBuggerBugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger.

Rang up Fins Motorcycles (all round good biker machanically minded dudes) who talked me through the "getting me back on the road procedure". Only difficulty might be a curtisy bike.

What im asking is...

surely the insurers have to agree the liability lies with white van man since he was pulling out into the flow of traffic.

what should I say to my insurers to make sure the decision goes my way

how the hell can I get myself on a nice bike to ride in the summer sun while my poor vtr is tended to by oil smudged page 3 luvlies in overalls (must be concussion).
red is the fastest colour;)
Bink

Post by Bink »

Stu,

Obviously it depends on the road situation. Make sure you take detailed notes. i.e. if he went through a stop or yield sign then you need to included that in your story. Did he look or indicate etc... you catch my drift

But the key here is witnesses!! If you have (independent) people to back up your side of the story you will stand a far better chance.
Otherwise it could be your word against his.
stu9000

hmm no witnesses im afraid.

Post by stu9000 »

no witnesses.
They drove off as i was wheeling it to the side of the road.

I did ask a pedestrian but he said he didnt see what happened.
But he did spout a few well meaning platitudes about not being to materialistic and appreciating that i was still alive.
So thats ok then.

Im a bit worried about that, but if he was pulling into the flow of traffic surely its his responsibility to check its clear??

thanks for the advice

Stu
Bink

Post by Bink »

... seems that your footer is very appropriate in this situation. :evil:

If the other party is not available there is not much you can do. (unless you have a way of finding the B*$tard)

Did you report it to the police?
Max

Post by Max »

you've got to watch BMW drivers they are the worst on the road by far
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I saw everything. Where do you want me to sign?
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

yeah where abouts was it stu i seen it all but couldnt stop as there wasnt a safe place to pull over :oops:
The voices made me do it
stu9000

nice one

Post by stu9000 »

Cheers sparky and vtr girl....
offers of support much appreciated.
Bikers are scared of no one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Actually its all gone quite smoothly.
Its not quite in the bag yet but the feedback is that the liability lies with the other guy.

They seem happy for the work to be done at my local garage, which suits me, and looking at the bike last night the sub frame seems fine so I think I was going slow enough for the bike to be fine with new faring and footpeg. Cant quite believe that, and getting it checked properly but thats what it looks like.

Now Ive got several companies trying to loan me a bike at no cost.
Managed to avoid the Hornet, just wasnt excited about the Fazer (old v).
So been offered a GSX 750 temporarily. 8) Be nice to try it out. (forgot to ask what year)

Again, thanks for all the help. Gotta say this community kicks ass. Loads of knowledge, freedom loving anarchists capable of almost anything.
Its like the A team on 2 wheels. I wanna be faceman (cos he got the girls)!
stu9000

GSX 750 Heaven

Post by stu9000 »

He hhe ehehehhe he

Thanks for the feedback on the Fazer Kaz. Did my test on the original Fazer and thought they were a neat bike but v boring to look at.

Basically had several offer for loan bikes but settled on the GSX. Looking thru "what bike" I was v dissappointed cos they said it was trading on the name and got pretty lardy by the end.

Well, not sure what ive got but it LOOKS like a GSX should. Blu and white, Big and Mean, with a big ass front and a high tapered rear that just screams GOFASTGOFASTGOFAST.

The buggers even got a steering damper on it.
Now, Im not natural GSX material. Probably more bike than I would need. But actually, it feels nice. Easy on the wrists. Spins up fast as you like. Does everything you want except howl at the moon (which a blue flame exhaust would fix pretty quick).

So that takes the sting out of losing my baby for a week or two.
stu9000

TOO FAST...

Post by stu9000 »

How is the GSX different???

Well, its wider, lighter and faaaasssstttteeeeer.

Scary how fast it spins up. Well not scary, just too bloody easy to do a ton +.

Torque works a bit different from the VTR.

I think Id lose my licence on this thing.

Its just too easy to go faster faster faster.
Max

Post by Max »

Me and a couple of mates had a GSXR1000 k5 demonstrator for a day, week or so ago. It was a missile, the only thing we agreed about it was that your licence would last the 14 day time it takes for the summons to arrive.
stu9000

Jeeeeeesssssssuuuuuuuuusssssssss

Post by stu9000 »

Smashed my commuter time to work this morning, in the wet.

I thought a bike like this would be technical and hard to learn, a view reinforced by the steering damper. But its really intuative.

Im not pushing it too hard (£600 excess!!!) but it feels so light and steady. Needs a blue flame exhaust to bring out that 30mph + howl, but then again, Id either crash or get pulled.
stu9000

new fairing

Post by stu9000 »

the garage have come back saying the fairing is going to have the middle panel replaced and the sides filled and resprayed.

I was suprised cos when Ive had the fairing off its all one bit.

Also, seems as expensive to repair as to replace.

Question 1 -

what come back do i have if, when i get the bike back, it doesnt look mint?
should i call the insurers now and hassle em to get a brand new fairing?

Question 2 -

he he - spend money.
Need an undertray, aftermarket rear indicator and plate bracket, and possibly lower fairing (more shiny red stuff).
Any suggestions as to where to get it?

question 3-

is it just me or have the posts slowed a bit.
Everyone is out living it rather than writing about it I suppose
Girlie_Biker

Post by Girlie_Biker »

Stu

I'm surprised as its an insurance repair that Fins are even suggesting repairing the fairing as opposed to replacing. As to condition - you don't accept the bike back until you are happy with it under ANY circumstances!

I know a guy got his ZZR back completely different colour, silly bugger signed the forms and accepted the guys word he'd sort it later - yea, right AFTER he'd had his money direct from the insurance... I don't THINK so!

I'd push for new fairing (and ask Fins if you can buy your old one back cheap so you have a track set/spare/flog it on ebay - they may even just give them to you, I doubt it though)

Has the other party actually Admitted liabilty yet? If they have push for new. If they haven't bear in mind that if they go for a split liability you'll have to pay for some of the repair and that may mean the repair option is better.
ZZ-RAWR!
VTR1000 Firestorm "the Animal"
ZZR600E "the Baby"
GPZ500s "the Brat"
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

STU Wrote
I was suprised cos when Ive had the fairing off its all one bit.

Yes you are right it does come off as one unit, but that one unit is made up of quite a few pieces all screwed together, there is quite a bit to it :!:

Chris.