Powder coating advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mjvw

Powder coating advice

Post by mjvw »

In the next couple of months the pair of wheels purchased a while ago will be getting a refurb, any prep I should do before handing over for powder coating.
Was going to leave old wheel bearings in as a new bearings are to be fitted when wheels returned.

Storming About :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Re: Powder coating advice

Post by AMCQ46 »

as long as the power coating company know what they are doing you dont need to do anything. BUT

I have seen wheels come back from PC where they haven't masked off the key areas like:
the bearing & seal machined diameters
the faces where the disks are bolted to
the disk bolt threads
and I have seen a slow leak of pressure because there was a ridge in the coating where the valve was fitted.
also seen it done so thick that the coating pinged off if you dropped an 8mm socket onto it from 5".

so the key prep work is to make sure you go to a supplier who does bike wheels all the time. if they put PC on the bearing pockets or on the disk faces, it is almost impossible to get back to the precision size or alignment that is needed.
AMcQ
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Thanks great advice, was just thinking of getting them painted not sure what to do but plenty of time to make my mind up.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mjvw wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:25 pm Thanks great advice, was just thinking of getting them painted not sure what to do but plenty of time to make my mind up.
PC is nice if done properly as Al said, but paint is easier to touch up...Chip PC & you have an issue getting it matched.

Personaly I would take the bearings out...worth checking with the person doing it they might insist you take them out or charge you extra to do it...

Third option...have them dipped.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Pc is to problematic for wheels unless it’s done buy someone knows what they’re doing as others have said .
Personally with wheels painting is the best option .
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Once again thanks for the all responses, now leaning towards painted :D
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

was going to go down powder coating on my other bike will now really clean , and spray them with rattle tin when able they are only satin black so even i should manage that lol
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Well was going to paint but change my mind and as mentioned in other post very with happy results, swing arm and foot rest hangers next for satin black powder coating.