Scotland 2022 . 26th, 27th & 28th August

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

tony.mon

Re: Scotland 2022 . 26th, 27th & 28th August

Post by tony.mon »

Bigger. I missed the only dry one!

I had to go to a good friend's wedding, occasionally the wife's preference trump's mine...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The back patio at the inn on the loch with all the other jet ski groups also enjoying the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
JSt

Post by JSt »

I really enjoyed reading that write up but not nearly as much as I enjoyed zipping about D&G with the VTR family.

Special thanks to Al for all the effort organising the weekend and for leading us, ever so skilfully around the most incredible ribbons of tarmac. And what skill!

Thanks for the run on the 790 Grumpy. Dear Santa…

I headed to the Samye Ling temple in search of enlightenment on Thursday morning but instead rediscovered a state of nirvana on the B723 on Saturday. And pretty much every other road we all shared for that matter. Thanks guys - super company on and off the bikes.

Now, where did that yellow bike go?!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Al, great write-up again 8) :clap:
Thanks for taking the time and effort in doing that, also for the photo's you have posted up :D :thumbup:
It sounds like you all had an amazing time, made even better with the glorious weather I'm sure.

You best make sure Lloydie#1 doesn't see the sheep photo's, as he will be soooo disappointed he missed them :wink: :lol:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Day 2

Sunday morning, everybody is still buzzing, the sky is still clear & blue and the sun is still out, so over a full SCOTTISH breakfast (Stuart was quick to remind those that asked for a full English) we worked out who was going where today so I could hatch a plan for us to ride with them till they turned off and then loop back onto a bigger ride for those of us staying longer.

Because the weather was so good I decided to stay An extra night at the loch so I was going riding. Budd had brought his family up to a farm cottage near Kirkcudbright for the week, so he had all day to play, Mick curly was going to camp there Sunday night so he was in too, and James didn't need to be at the ferry till 6pm.
So 4 of us were in for a full day, and Although Kermetlefrog and Ashley were going to head off directly on the main roads the other 4 were up for some back roads as long as I got them in the direction of Dumfries in an hour.

So off round loch Ken and into Kirkcudbright to do a drive past of the old square where Paula's mums lives, then round the coastal route back into Dumfries and we said goodby to PeteL, Lloydie #2, little Chris and Grumpyfrog.
My plan was now to head back onto Dalveen pass with the though of looking at the scenery this time, but we will see how that goes.

On the coastal road I was starting to notice that the downshifts on the Storm were getting very stiff, so something was up, then when we came to a stop I noticed that the clutch was dragging. First I check I still had engine oil, and that was OK despite the thrashing I gave the bike yesterday, then I spotted that the clutch master cyl was empty, so I limped to the nearest garage with the span adjuster set to the full extreme just to get a bit of clutch release. Once I topped up the master cyl and pumped the lever a few times, I didn't even need to bleed it before it came back to life and I had to drop the span adjuster back to minimum again. so off we go with gear changes all back to normal.

Bite to eat in thornhill and we are ready to do the Dalveen pass, but my plan to do a sightseeing trip goes out the window when we come up behind a lotus and a caterham 7 who were also not sightseeing. It was easy enough to stay with them, but it was going to be a bit risky to pass them, so after a few miles of high speed tig, I slowed our pace so we could sightsee the prettiest part of the glaciated valley that makes up the edge of the pass and that let the 2 cars out of sight so we could ride our own ride.
Then I decided that it would be fun to see if I could now catch the cars having given them a head start, so off I go with James in tow and Budd sacrificing what is left of his back tyre to put the Superduke GT into hyperdrive.

Once I had the cars in sight I was able to reel them in corner by corner till I was back on their tails and this time I was able to make a clean pass on a longer straight with good visibility, so at the end of the pass we stopped and gave them the thumbs up for a fun race.

From here I am back onto the NW loop I had planned, but in reverse, and after Abington I started going south again on a B road I discovered last year, and it is way better than I remember .... Lefts flow into rights but also undulating up and down like a tarmac roller coaster. with no side roads an lots of visibility, if it wasn't for the fact it was open hill farming with sheep grazing the roadside, it would be the perfect motorcycle road, but occasionally you have to emergency stop in the fear that one of the woolly chicanes might get startled by a V2 on open pipes being chased by a SuperMoto .

James and I arrive at the end with no sheep passengers and we agree that was the best road of the weekend, not long after Budd arrived to seal the majority vote.

A bit of main road through to the town of New Cummnock, and I am a bit concerned that there is a police presence at the left turn I want to make to take us over the hill to Dalmellington, but it is not closed, they are just warning us that there is a triathlon cycle race on the road ahead of us. Fortunately the cyclists are only going out the first 5 miles and then coming back, so we eventually get past the risk area and can play again, and just before hitting Dalmellington I spot the fuel light winking from its hiding place behind my satnav.....sh1t! how long has that been on? And will that petrol station in Dalmellinmton be open on a Sunday?

Good news is, yes, it was open, but as we had a quick refreshment a large group of back patched bikers start to gather on the pavement opposite the petrol station and it starts to look like a scene out of madmax with everything from Harley's to hyabusas. Fortunately they stayed there till after we left, as I am never sure of the accepted etiquette for slicing your way past a bike Gang on the road. Do they get wound up if you show no respect? Would we piss them off and have to do a runner?

Another great 20 miles back to Dalry, and we say goodbye to James as he needs to head off to the ferry now, leaving Budd, Mick Curly and I to head back up past Corsock to the inn on the loch, tired but satisfied with another 200 miles of great riding.
Budd and Mick got they panniers out of my van and headed off to the cottage in Kirkcudbright leaving me as the last man to try and finish the remaining cans of Guinness as I watch the sunset.

Budds rear tyre is completely bald by the time he gets to his cottage, and as I am loaded my bike into the van in the morning I see I am through the wear markers, both in the middle and on the right hand side. They were tourtured over the last 2 days, and gave their life so we could have fun.

I got the van changed back from camper to bike transportation and was on the road before 10 to try and avoid a repeat of Friday's traffic hell. Fortunately it worked and I got home in reasonable time and in a great mood after one of the best weekends riding i can remember.

Only worry is that in might have spoiled any future trips if they can't exceed this one, but fortunately I am getting old, so I will likely forget how good it was until I read this report in a years time. ;)

Until next year
AMcQ
JSt

Post by JSt »

If future trips are only half as good as Scotland 2022 they’ll still be great.

Outstanding! :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Al, good to read about Day 2 as well 8)
Thanks for posting,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great write ups Al, it sounds like it was a top weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
JayMcQ

Post by JayMcQ »

i had a grand birthday :thumbup: