If you have any love of bikes, free thinking, read this!

General Bike chat
Kev L

If you have any love of bikes, free thinking, read this!

Post by Kev L »

Seems Boris and his chums are looking to stop any altering of vehicles, use of third party manufactured parts etc.

https://www.mag-uk.org/mag-defends-moto ... -attached/

https://www.visordown.com/news/industry ... le-illegal

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/202 ... aw-change/

The official version -

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -standards

Please consider supporting MAG as they are opposing the legislation and removal of our civil liberties..

There’s a survey to complete to express opposition below..

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/etvhg5
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: If you have any love of bikes, free thinking, read this!

Post by sirch345 »

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That’s one of the ways I heard about it Chris, thanks for linking it :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Good luck with this one gents; sounds as though you have your work cut out for you
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Having read the Gov link ... https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -standards

They way I read it is the anti tampering bit will be for new vehicals only.

I could be wrong but I doubt they will legistate old vehicals off the road, maybe make it harder for them to be used, huge increse in vehical tax, less & less plus higher cost of petrol avaliable, more ULEZ areas ect ect.

However the classic car & motorcycle groups will fight it.

I doubt the oil & petrol industry will be happy loosing so much income, unless they all put their money into generating electricity...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

:crazy: Let’s hope it does only apply to new vehicles, but I still think that’s a step to far, the wider implications for fabricator, designers, after market sales and motorcycle enthusiast is massive.
What does the future hold for motorcycling? So, I am going to make the most of it while I can. :thumbup:
Really hope It does not get past the consultation period.
Storming About :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

OK you can all relax...

We are safe...

http://www.britishmotorcyclists.co.uk/a ... ng-update/
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

:D :D :D :D :thumbup:
Storming About :thumbup:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Encouraging news indeed! 🙂
Insufferable halfwit.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Safe?
Stuck with huge ugly inefficient cans on new bikes?
It better not be retrospective.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Time is running out, the deadline is 22nd November 2021.

This video explains more:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, I've put my objections in.
Mostly, I said that this is the sort of power-grab that we came to expect from EU legislators, which fuelled us kicking them into touch, in the apparently vain hope that our politicians would see the sense in a light-touch regulative system.

Although I see the sense in making it compulsory for components that control autonomous vehicle safety aspects to remain as the mnfr intended, if they take this to extremes (as politicians often do- Dangerous Dogs, anyone?) they will make it illegal to use a modified vehicle on the road.

If they make it retrospective, we're all illegal overnight.
So a car upgraded with alloy wheels? Uninsured, because it isn't compliant.
A bike with ergonomic adaptations such as rearsets and levers to better fit the rider? No, that's not allowed either.
How about a car with an ECU rechipped to allow it to run on unleaded, when it was designed to use leaded fuel? Nope.
Lost a leg or hand, and want to adapt a vehicle so you can still get too work? Sorry, mate, no can do.
Want to fit better brakes? Ah, well, that's not quite original,is it?
Need to replace the fuel lines eaten by E10 with something fuel-resistant? Well, you can, but then you can't use it on the road, I'm afraid.
Can't buy original parts for your eleven-year-old vehicle, but you found something from another manufacturer that fits and would do the job? Hmm, perhaps not.
How about replacing my original cross-ply tyres with something more modern, to grip the road better? You'll be needing a nice new vehicle, Sir.

This is dangerous, folks, and if you wait to see what they come up with, we'll all be off the road with no way of getting it changed. Never believe a politician who says they want the powers "just in case" but "won't use them".

And don't think that it's better for the environment that we all leave the standard exhausts on. Remember that older vehicles don't meet modern exhaust emissions anyway. Taking off a Leo Vince and putting a standard Honda on back on to a Firestorm won't make any difference at all, except that, due to the extra weight,
it'll now use more fuel.

If we all scrapped the newly-non-compliant vehicles (which weren't made with recycling in mind) and bought new ones, what effect will that have on the environment? The UK economy will also be badly damaged- the balance of payments will take a hit, as most vehicles are purchased from overseas.

If made retrospective, which is the biggest worry, I feel, a lot of vehicles will be made unroadworthy and uninsurable overnight. So please make the effort now to get an objection in, otherwise I think that might be the end of our hobby, interests and lifestyle.

By the way, because the yougov form has very small boxes to type in, I found it easiest to save it (they provide a save and come back later option at the end of each page), then type an answer on my laptop in word and cut and paste it in.

Rant sort of over for now, please stick your oar in, deadline looming, thanks.
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Yup, made my views known as far as I'm able. My main objections are that it's fundamentally wrong that I can't modify and maintain my own property to make it safer for myself and potentially other road users.

Also, the huge UK aftermarket parts industry will be wiped out overnight resulting in misery for the employers and employees, not to mention the effect on the economy.

Feck, this whole thing just boils my piss.... 😩
Insufferable halfwit.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Posted earlier...

http://www.britishmotorcyclists.co.uk/a ... ng-update/

So you old gits don't have to click the link...bloody technology ect ect...I can repost in a bigger font if that helps... :lol:

''Department for Transport officials have reassured representatives of the NMC, including the BMF’s Anna Zee, that motorcyclists have nothing to fear from the recent anti-tampering consultation.

The original wording of the consultation – a maze of legal language – implied that any modification of a machine could be outlawed, and classed as ‘tampering,’ although the spirit of the wording was aimed at items which increase noise or emissions, such as aftermarket exhausts without a catalyser.

Anna Zee said: “We were invited to a meeting with DfT officials on 27th October to discuss this section of the consultation. They were quick to admit this could have been worded better; it is NOT intended to prevent customisation of bikes or the fitting of aftermarket products which do the same job, or better, as the original equipment. It IS intended to apply to anything which affects emissions, the computerised systems which are installed and such devices as the dongles advertised for increasing the speed on e.g. e-scooters.”

She added that any legislation is likely to be retrospective, so if a bike was fitted with a catalyst when new, but a replacement exhaust doesn’t have one, this would count as tampering. “The DfT has agreed to send us details of where they think there are gaps in existing legislation,” she said, “and that they will further consult with us in the process of drafting the future legislation, which is unlikely to come into effect until 2024.”

So, we can all rest easy for the time being – fitting a hugger, different seat or topbox, or building a custom bike – won’t count as tampering, so long as it remains true to the emissions limits which were in place when the bike was new.

Some areas of the proposed legislation still need to be clarified, such as possible exemptions for competition and off-road bikes, plus classic machines. The NMC argues that modifications to classic bikes can improve running without increasing performance.

Jim Freeman, BMF Chair, applauded the work of the NMC in obtaining swift clarification from the DfT. “The BMF feels vindicated in its support of the NMC, from its earliest stages, as the united voice of motorcyclists when talking to government. There is little doubt that had this consultation been made before the creation of the NMC, that the various motorcyclists’ groups would have been much easier to ignore.”