95D727EC-B669-4BCC-A569-9D470182B04D.jpeg
. Couple of pictures to ponder over.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: New member and owner.

Post by Pete.L »

wow!
Was it kept in a vacuum bag? That's spotless :thumbup:
Time for a little TPS adjustment whilst the carbs are out? viewtopic.php?t=29429

She'll knock your socks off compared to the VFR, I think you'll like it. A bit lumpier in the lower rev range but better everywhere else :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

Very clean bike, Are you changing the cam chain tensioners while you have it apart ?, It would be a very wise move. Bazza on here dose them.

For the brass takeoff contact "Morgan carb tune" online (link below) and they will sell you a pack of 4, they are cheap and then you can pass on or sell the other 3 when someone else needs one, there are 2 sizes just check the thread on the grub screw as I can't remember which size you need,

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbaccs.html

I have VFR800 also, the FI version, Firestorm more fun but VFR better day to day bike, they complement each other very well.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Vfrjohn

Post by Vfrjohn »

I do believe the bike was in padgetts for a number of years untill they decided to sell it and believe it or not iam the 8 owner the others obviously did not use it. My son collect the bike and when he road it back he said it was at awful low speed ,so hence the reason for the carb strip down and clean. Iam going to adjust the tps as the reading was 860 ,I have also ordered a brass fitting to sync the carbs just waiting for that to come , not going to bother with the cam chain adjuster at the moment.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Vfrjohn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:50 am I do believe the bike was in padgetts for a number of years untill they decided to sell it and believe it or not iam the 8 owner the others obviously did not use it. My son collect the bike and when he road it back he said it was at awful low speed ,so hence the reason for the carb strip down and clean. Iam going to adjust the tps as the reading was 860 ,I have also ordered a brass fitting to sync the carbs just waiting for that to come , not going to bother with the cam chain adjuster at the moment.
Your choice on the tensioners but they are known to fail, mileage means nothing (could even be more likely to fail) and if they do fail you'll probably be rebuilding the engine, £50 and a bit of time will avoid any troubles, would be such a shame but it happens fairly often.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Vfrjohn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:50 am I do believe the bike was in padgetts for a number of years untill they decided to sell it and believe it or not iam the 8 owner the others obviously did not use it. My son collect the bike and when he road it back he said it was at awful low speed ,so hence the reason for the carb strip down and clean. Iam going to adjust the tps as the reading was 860 ,I have also ordered a brass fitting to sync the carbs just waiting for that to come , not going to bother with the cam chain adjuster at the moment.
My VTR ran like a dog at low revs farting and occasional stumble/stalling purchased a secondhand set of carbs set TPS on these could only get to 520 ohms, cleaned and carb synced now runs a treat. TPS is well worth it, before adjustment mine was 860.
Old carbs to be rebuilt at some point.
Storming About :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Please think long and hard about the CCT’s. Age, storage and low mileage are common ingredients for failure, particularly the front.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Vfrjohn

Post by Vfrjohn »

Have read a lot of posts about cct and iam unsure to be honest only read a couple of posts about failure then posts about dealer mechanics saying they have never had a failure. Not sure if this could be down to a few faulty cct , as this sounds very similar to the yamaha fjr 1300 and the ticking valves on a small percentage, my son as a first gen with 60000 miles and is as sweet as a nut but then a mate of mine owned one and got shut after a few months with this problem, I also had a 2005 and no problems with that. As anyone on the forum had a failure.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Vfrjohn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm Have read a lot of posts about cct and iam unsure to be honest only read a couple of posts about failure then posts about dealer mechanics saying they have never had a failure. Not sure if this could be down to a few faulty cct , as this sounds very similar to the yamaha fjr 1300 and the ticking valves on a small percentage, my son as a first gen with 60000 miles and is as sweet as a nut but then a mate of mine owned one and got shut after a few months with this problem, I also had a 2005 and no problems with that. As anyone on the forum had a failure.
There have been many failures,
These are nothing like inline fours with regards to their cct's even Honda ones that look the same, it's not exclusive to a few bikes, it can happen anytime, any age, nay mileage, then again some bikes cover along time on original tensioners, fancy Russian roulette ?
Here's the issue, although the tensioners are not oil supplied they really need some oil in there, the front cylinder tensioner sits high and doesn't get an oil splash, the tensioner spring material is thin, V twins vibrate, one little fracture and you have a tensioner backing out, then with the nature of the engine, a backed out tensioner on these bikes will cause the chain to jump on the inlet cam sprocket putting the timing out far enough for the valves to hit the piston. The front is the common failure, the rear has a constant oil feed due to it's position, these rarely fail but have been known to.
There is a mod you can do to stop them backing out too far when the spring breaks but to be honest it's much quicker and easier to replace with manual tensioners, it's cheap piece of mind, you also get to check your cam timing as I've seen many slightly out, your bike with lots of owners has a good chance that the tensioner has failed before (regardless of what you read there was never a modified part) and some not quite timed it up right, just because it may have gone once doesn't mean it wont happen again. I'm sure others will be along with tales of woe, or try FB is you dare, they'll make a really big deal of it.

To sum up, look at it as a service item, you already have the carbs off, your half way to fitting new tensioners :thumbup:

Also the manual tensioners rarely need adjusting, you'll go 10,000 miles or more before a slight adjustment might be needed, you will safely hear it too.

Last edited by popkat on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Warning Don't just whip the old tensioners out, you need this :

Here (as long as you can use a spanner) is a fool proof guide to fitting manual tensioners, someone wouldn't go to all the trouble of writing this if it wasn't an issue, look how many pages the thread has.

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 266fd0459e

Vfrjohn

Post by Vfrjohn »

Well just been to my sons and he said there’s a big with a couple of bits in it and look what I found.
image.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for posting the photo's of your bike, almost unbelievable condition for it's age. It certainly has been extremely well looked after.

Definitely do something with the CCT's as others have already warned. I had one fail some years ago, but as I did The Stopper Mod I was able to ride the bike home with the failed CCT. See link here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28666

I would say your bike with it's low mileage is a prime candidate for a CCT to fail. Bikes that have been used regularly on a daily commute appear less prone to CCT failures.

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I bought a bike very similar history as yours.It had been laid up for years with only around 4000 miles with mot history to prove it.Almost the very first thing i did was to change acct's to manuals for peace of mind.As said on here you are half way there with the carbs off and you have the mcct's already.Really it's a no brainer.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
neil

Post by neil »

As Popkat says your choice on CCT, my VTR had 3 failures of CCT in its lifetime. The first one at very low milage according to paperwork that came with it. Its now got manuals on so no problem now.
redvtr
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Hi and welcome :wave:
What a great christmas present :thumbup:
Bad choices make good stories :D