why does my sidelight come on with the brakes?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Carlosfandango

why does my sidelight come on with the brakes?

Post by Carlosfandango »

Hi, I've got a 1999 model, I noticed when putting the bike in the garage that when I put the brakes on (front or rear) the sidelight comes on and the speedo and tacho light up. I've looked at a wiring diagram and they all seem to be on the same circuit (brown wire). i cannot understand why this should be, does any else have this happen? Any clues what may be happening, it passed its MOT ok, I'm thinking bad earth somewhere but I cannot seem to find it. Thanks
fabiostar

Re: why does my sidelight come on with the brakes?

Post by fabiostar »

your gona have to waste a few hours of your life checking earths and any connections you can find and give them a good clean.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Carlosfandango wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 pm Hi, I've got a 1999 model, I noticed when putting the bike in the garage that when I put the brakes on (front or rear) the sidelight comes on and the speedo and tacho light up. I've looked at a wiring diagram and they all seem to be on the same circuit (brown wire). i cannot understand why this should be, does any else have this happen? Any clues what may be happening, it passed its MOT ok, I'm thinking bad earth somewhere but I cannot seem to find it. Thanks
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but it sounds very similar to a problem I had many years ago on a car, which cost me hours (like Fabio mentions) in time searching for the problem. All it turned out to be was one of the filaments in the rear light bulb had blown, IIRC it was the sidelight filament which then dangled down touching the brake light filament. That meant when the brakes were applied it powered up the dash bulbs and side light circuit. It was a long time ago, but I have a feeling it may have powered up the ignition circuit too.

I hope it's something that simple for you, remember you have two rear bulbs to check on the Firestorm/Superhawk,

Chris.
Carlosfandango

Post by Carlosfandango »

That was it! Thanks, one of the bulbs was shorting to the other circuit, changed the bulb, problem went away, saved me hours of following wires, phew.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Result, well done Carlos and Chris :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You pair should do the lottery next week, that was the best lucky 1st time right we have had in a long time :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:40 am You pair should do the lottery next week, that was the best lucky 1st time right we have had in a long time :thumbup:
:lol: :thumbup:

Al, The trouble is you don't usually think about a bulb could be the problem, what is it? "It's the simplest of things that can catch you out" :wink:
I can't tell you the huge relief I felt when I had removed the bulb and there it was staring at me :crazy:
Carlosfandango wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:47 pm That was it! Thanks, one of the bulbs was shorting to the other circuit, changed the bulb, problem went away, saved me hours of following wires, phew.
Carlos, I'm glad it was that, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
Carlosfandango

Post by Carlosfandango »

Made my evening it did, had a couple of sherries to celebrate. Thanks again, you saved me hours of frustration. I spoke to my son in law next day, he said it happens to older Land Rover Discoveries, causing a fault with the suspension! Always good to have a forum to share things with, many heads are better than one, I’m just glad you read it, I may still be looking….
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Carlosfandango wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:08 pm Made my evening it did, had a couple of sherries to celebrate. Thanks again, you saved me hours of frustration. I spoke to my son in law next day, he said it happens to older Land Rover Discoveries, causing a fault with the suspension! Always good to have a forum to share things with, many heads are better than one, I’m just glad you read it, I may still be looking….
:lol: :thumbup:

Many heads are better than one I agree :D
Interesting to hear about the older Land Rover Discoveries,

Chris.