New owner from rural NSW in Aus

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Fenix

New owner from rural NSW in Aus

Post by Fenix »

Morning gents!

Thanks for letting me be apart of the community

Long time rider, first time Honda owner, always had Yamaha. Unfortunately my Thunderace turned up on its lid after shipping across the country and after a disaster of buying 2 fairing kits from supposedly quality manufacturers, have given up on the old girl.

Found this bike after one of my workers bought one and let me ride it. 2002 model with 10,571km on the clock. Freshly serviced and new Michy tyres. For some reason the RHS exhaust baffle has been removed. Starts and runs very well, have had a couple of hiccups when it's been hot where it didn't want to start, flipped the kill switch on and off and it sorted it and a couple of rev hiccups when blipping the throttle. Both the brake and clutch resorvoirs are all spider webbed with cracks due to age and the chain guard mounts and rubbers are all perished.

Apart from this it's in amazing condition. Just thinking I may get the carbs balanced and tuned but wondering if it's worth doing some basics first like the exhaust, air filter / box mod and a dyno Jet kit and get it all done at once?

What do you guys think?

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: New owner from rural NSW in Aus

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard from down under :thumbup:

It looks like your new bike is in very good condition apart from the things you mention, and in the best colour too :Woohoo1:
Not that I'm biased or anything :lol:

No harm in balancing the carbs as that is a fairly simple procedure to do, although it would be worth checking the TPS (throttle position sensor) first to see what that is set at.
That will give you some time to decide if you're going to re-jet with a better exhaust system, air filter and box mod etc. Just remember the stock air filter works pretty good. If you're thinking about using a freer flowing air filter you will most likely need to factor in Dyno time. So unless you're in the Dyno business that will cost extra,

Chris.
Fenix

Post by Fenix »

My main issue is finding somebody around where I live that can dyno and tune as well.

I'm a big supporter of OEM stuff.

My other thoughts is if I'm going to be spending money just fixing up age issues like the cracking reservoirs with new ones as opposed to upgrading the brakes and master cylinder?

Parts here aren't easy to come by.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy the bike.

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.It looks like your bike has auto ccts for peace of mind I would change them to manual.
Last edited by alanfjones1411 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 am Hello and welcome to the forum.It looks like your bike has autism cat's for peace of mind I would change them to manual.
God yes, you don't want them cats counting cracks in the pavement while flapping their paws and screaming, it's most off-putting.😂
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: .Don't ya just love predictive text.Fixed it.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Fenix

Post by Fenix »

😂
Yes i am already sourcing a replacement set and will get them fitted when I get the carbs rejected and tuned.

Was lucky enough to find a local bloke that is very well known to me that has a dyno that can do all the work. He has done all our family's farm bikes and was always spot on. So I feel very comfortable in leaving it with him.

Now it's just a case of budgeting and getting them done.

To get the carbs properly jetted / tuned and sync'd to suit the air filter and exhaust he said a rough cost was about $900 that's including the need to pull them apart twice during dyno.

He runs a complete dyno setup including AF gauge.

So far I have planned:

- Full black widow exhaust
- K n N air filter
- Air box mod
- dynojet kit to suit
- dyno tune
- manual CCTs

After this I'm looking for the brake upgrade which will include new resorvoirs all round and lines, also looking at changing out the front fork springs with a set from ohlins. Rear shock will be an Ohlins as well once the budget allows. The roads around my area are absolutely shocking, so a compromise will need to be made but in my experience I have always loved how compliant and adjustable a properly matched rear shock from ohlins is.

Any other recommendations...?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fenix wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:33 pm My main issue is finding somebody around where I live that can dyno and tune as well.

I'm a big supporter of OEM stuff.

My other thoughts is if I'm going to be spending money just fixing up age issues like the cracking reservoirs with new ones as opposed to upgrading the brakes and master cylinder?

Parts here aren't easy to come by.
I get where you are coming from regarding the brakes upgrade possibility.

Best stick with the standard air filter then if you don't have a trusted Dyno operator near you,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I see you have now found a Dyno guy you can trust :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir :thumbup: . once you have it running right sort the sussies. a decent rear shock.(basically anything other than the standard one) and new oil and springs in the front will transform the bike :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Fenix

Post by Fenix »

Morning gents,

Does anybody know of any websites or places that may have the front callipers of the cbr600fi is it? And a master cylinder off a SP1?

As much as it would be easier searching for just replacement parts if I'm going to replace them all I may as well upgrade them all and with braided lines.

This front brake combo, will there be a difference in the brake lines / banjo orientations?

Just want to do this once - do it right.
#MOOSE90

Post by #MOOSE90 »

I’m Also a newbie on here from uk! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Fenix wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm Morning gents,

Does anybody know of any websites or places that may have the front callipers of the cbr600fi is it? And a master cylinder off a SP1?

As much as it would be easier searching for just replacement parts if I'm going to replace them all I may as well upgrade them all and with braided lines.

This front brake combo, will there be a difference in the brake lines / banjo orientations?

IMHO you might want to look at 600RR calipers (make sure they are the axial mount ones :wink: ) and a SP2 master cylinder. Also yes the stock brake lines will work fine with either set up.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fenix wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm Morning gents,

Ebay is where most of us get ours from.

Here's a link with some more information for you, if you've not already seen it of course:
viewtopic.php?t=15494&hilit=brake+calipers

Chris.