Jet kit installation options

General Bike chat
mik_str

Jet kit installation options

Post by mik_str »

Greetings everyone,

I called two local bike shops to look into installing the DJ kit I purchased for my 99 VTR (as I do not have the facility to do it myself). One uses a dyno and charges $350 CDN to install and tune while the other charges $300 and uses an exhaust gas analyzer to do the tuning. When questioned, the shop with the EGA sais the tuning will be just as good, the only difference being I will not get a hp readout from them.

Which should I take? Can I expect similar/identical results from both? Although getting a hp chart would be nice, it is not essential and at this time it would be more convenient to go to the EGA shop.

One last thing, I recall someone mentioning that in order to get accurate EGA readings the PAIR system must be disabled. Is this true? If so, can I expect this shop to know this?

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

cheers
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Personally I'd go with whichever one's got the best reputation!!

At the end of the day the dyno and EGA are just tools and unless they know how to interpret the readings you're not gonna get a good result

That said my preference would be the dyno coz you can see if there's a nice smooth curve whereas the EGA might say the fuelling is optimum but it could feel all over the shop

Ben
brokenlegs

Post by brokenlegs »

My advice is do it yourself.

A good explanation on how to is here.

http://www.roadracers.co.uk/dynojet.htm scroll down for vtr info

I reckon that 180 mains is fine and thats why i am running but with open end cans i would recommed using 190 as my bike definetly ran sweeter with the stock muffler on the jets i'm using at the moment. I need to buy some 185 and 190 to see the difference but saying that it will only be 1-2hp max difference anyway. These are Uk settings btw.

Using the settings on the link above my bike will wheelie off the power in first using standard gearing and there is a big difference in the 3-6k rev range.

Mark.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

great link, might try it one day
it may be clever, but its not big.
Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

My preference would be the Dyno. The EGT analyzer would be good but should be used in tandem with an oxygen analyzer to get best results, and yes the PAIR/evap would probably throw a spanner in the works. With the Dyno printout at least the mechanic will be able to see where the flat spots are and adjust the mixture, floats, jets etc accordingly. For $50 extra it's piece of mind if nothing else...
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I just got back from having my DJ kit installed and having the bike dynoed. The final (peak) results are 68.8 lbs/ft torque at 7K and 105.5 hp at 8800 rpm. My set-up includes Micron slips ons, DJ kit, stock airfilter (modded with ridge removed), two long intake runners and stock TPS setting (@821 ohms). The torque curve is very very flat with just a very slight dip at 5K (maybe 2 lbs/ft, over 60 lbs/ft from 3600 rpm to 9200). It is the flattest one I have seen to date for the VTR. Throttle response feels good and the dyno operator commented that it pulled nicely for a VTR (and they have done lots of them). Incidentally, the bike has 65,000 kms on it so it isn't new by any means.

I was expecting a bit more hp but going to the two long intake runners likely robbed me of a couple on top. Going to two short ones would likely get me very close to 110 hp (going from one long/one short to two short is said to be worth @ 2 hp on top so I would think that going from two long to two short would be @ 4 hp) but I do most of my riding in the mids and the long runners work nicely here. Also, I noticed the bike is a bit smoother at my typical freeway cruising speed (4500 rpm).