Oil filters

General Bike chat
yellabell

Oil filters

Post by yellabell »

Ayup you lot. Just about to do an oil change. I have a Halfords trade card so I bought 5L of Petronas Syntium 800 eu 5w 40 semi-synthetic. Hope that's OK?
Padgetts are just around the corner from me so I was gonna get my filter from them but at £16 I got to thinking if I could find them cheaper elsewhere. I started to cross reference the Honda oe part number (15410 mcj 505) and HiFlo hf951, amongst loads of others keeps popping up. These are only £7 delivered. There seems to be a ton of filters from various manufacturers that all mention & criss ref the oe Honda part number. Anyone see any problems with these alternative filters?? I'd rather not blow the engine for the sake of a few quid but they all insist they meet or better the original. What say you?
StuartWags

Re: Oil filters

Post by StuartWags »

I have used alternative filters, always. But i would not put car oil in a motorcycle engine. Yes, the grade may be the same but the formula and function is very different

A motorcycle oil has to look after the gearbox and clutch and generally speaking bike engines rev higher.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

StuartWags wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:21 am I have used alternative filters, always. But i would not put car oil in a motorcycle engine. Yes, the grade may be the same but the formula and function is very different

A motorcycle oil has to look after the gearbox and clutch and generally speaking bike engines rev higher.
Stuart, enlighten me please... I've bought semi-synth at 10w 40 as per recommended advice on here (semi as opposed to fully synthetic due to the wet clutch to avoid clutch slip) what makes it car oil? The specs look good unless I'm missing something?
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Petronas Syntium 800 eu 5w 40 semi-synthetic, i think is a car oil.

Car oils have different additives to bike oils. Car oils have friction modifiers in them to give good fuel economy. Bike oils have additives developed for wet clutches and and gear train lubrication
popkat

Post by popkat »

Halfords sell Castrol motorcycle oil Semi Synth 10/40 in 4 litre cans which is enough for a firestorm, £34 or £27 ish with your trade card..
HF204 0r 303 are correct fitment for Storm and cost about £7, £16 would be for a genuine Honda one, that is expensive though but then It's Padgets, everythings expensive, lol.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

popkat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:42 am Halfords sell Castrol motorcycle oil Semi Synth 10/40 in 4 litre cans which is enough for a firestorm, £34 or £27 ish with your trade card..
HF204 0r 303 are correct fitment for Storm and cost about £7, £16 would be for a genuine Honda one, that is expensive though but then It's Padgets, everythings expensive, lol.

Star man popkat cheers. That's the exact same stuff I use in my Ktm 450 RFS - and not only that I've enough in the garage to do an oil change haha! Good shout on the filters pal cheers.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

I did an oil n filter change yesterday.

Bought 4 x HF204 which worked out at £6 each inc delivery and 20 litres of Exol Optima 4T 10w40 Semi Synthetic Motorcycle Four Stroke for £65 delivered.

I already use Exol SS 2T on my RD350LC and have had no problems with years of use.

That'll do me for a few oil changes :plainsmile
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

I always recommend that you use the OEM oil filters which are designed to work in conjunction with the oil pressure release valve. I consider it a worthwhile investment over the time span of oil filter usage. Two or three cups of coffee over a six month period?
The very best oil for your VTR is Motul semi-synthetic but there are cheaper products on the market.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

My 1987 CBR600 has 160.000mls on it.
Since I got it 20 yrs ago as a commuter hack it has been run on the cheapest supermarket semi synth car oil.
Absolutely no issues whatsoever.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I must admit I like to stick with OEM oil filters,

Chris.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 pm I always recommend that you use the OEM oil filters which are designed to work in conjunction with the oil pressure release valve. I consider it a worthwhile investment over the time span of oil filter usage. Two or three cups of coffee over a six month period?
The very best oil for your VTR is Motul semi-synthetic but there are cheaper products on the market.
Motul semi-synthetic gets my vote have always used :thumbup:
Storming About :thumbup:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 pm I always recommend that you use the OEM oil filters which are designed to work in conjunction with the oil pressure release valve. I consider it a worthwhile investment over the time span of oil filter usage. Two or three cups of coffee over a six month period?
I couldn't agree more, I regard the oil and filter as critical parts for the long term health of an engine.
Insufferable halfwit.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i always use Motul but last week my local shop was doing a deal on Liqui moly ,10/40w street. now i cant read German so asked was it ok to use on older engines? iv been using the same shop for years and the guy knows his stuff so took him at his word.

trots of home and changes the oil on dori and the big sofa_uki.

oils oil aint it?

well foooook that its not, withing 40 miles (dori) and about 100 miles on the sofa both my clutches are fooked :sad2 :sad2 :sad2 . and i mean hanging outa them :redface ... both running 100% and i change the oil and they both give up the ghost.... not a happy bunny.

so oil drained back out, il just drain the sofa and go motul again but Dori will get new plates and motul... worked out a very expensive day that did. :Argue 1: :Argue 1:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:11 pm i always use Motul but last week my local shop was doing a deal on Liqui moly ,10/40w street. now i cant read German so asked was it ok to use on older engines? iv been using the same shop for years and the guy knows his stuff so took him at his word.

trots of home and changes the oil on dori and the big sofa_uki.

oils oil aint it?

well foooook that its not, withing 40 miles (dori) and about 100 miles on the sofa both my clutches are fooked :sad2 :sad2 :sad2 . and i mean hanging outa them :redface ... both running 100% and i change the oil and they both give up the ghost.... not a happy bunny.

so oil drained back out, il just drain the sofa and go motul again but Dori will get new plates and motul... worked out a very expensive day that did. :Argue 1: :Argue 1:
8O 8O I can imagine the air was blue for sometime Rob. I'm glad you posted that up.
If it had happened on just the one bike you may have been wondering if it was the oil, but on two bikes side by side rides I don't think so.

Was that semi or fully synthetic oil Rob :?:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

yeah Chris as you say one bike could be a clutch that was about to go but both bikes on the same weekend? and both running perfect the day before i changed them? and the suzuki ,i mean its not like all 54bhp wrecked the clutch :eek2 :eek2 .

and Dori has a clutch that has no more than 2k on it, a heavy duty EBC full kit ,the same kits iv used in many bikes and never had an issue with.

iv read the container, in german :eek2 and its actually hard to make out what it is? fully or part synth :think:

so, stick with what you know and what works :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: