Radial clutch MC. Cylinder size

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mototrick

Radial clutch MC. Cylinder size

Post by Mototrick »

Hi, I've been on a long trek through the old posts but can't find exactly the info i'm looking for.
I'm considering changing the standard clutch MC with a radial one, seems to be a few of the HC1 Magura KTM ones on eBay. The most common cylinder size is 18mm, would this be okay for the firestorm? Has anyone had experience with the Magura HC1? Is it a direct fit or does the reservoir get in the way of the fairing?
This is only the start of the thought process, i'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of a better solution. My commute takes in a LOT of traffic these days and i can barley operate the clutch at the end of my journey. I rebuilt the standard MC and SC a few years ago, with a new hose too. I think i'm just a wimp, but if i can reduce the lever pull by 20-30% it's got to help.

Cheers

Lee
MK_WF

Re: Radial clutch MC. Cylinder size

Post by MK_WF »

In that case I'd have a cheapskate solution.
Get the clutch pump assy from the CBR1000 SC57.
It's kind of plug & play on the SC36 but features a smaller diameter of the piston which enlarges the hydraulic ratio and reduces lever force.
I've got one on mine and it works just fine.

The other point may not be feasible for you but I fitted an Ignitech ignition which allows for a shift sensor in the linkage. So I can upshift without using the clutch at all making it a kind of semi-automatic transmission.
Due to the crappy Honda mechanism, the first two gears don't work too well, so I'm using it from 3 to 6.
Here's an onboard video
Bye
Martin
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Venhill list these with differnt size ratios.

As for the res pot fairing interface you'll only know once fitted.

I've got a Brembo one on one of my bikes & the res pot is remotly fitted to the top yoke, so if it does hit the fairing move the res pot...

https://www.venhill.co.uk/controls-amp- ... inder.html

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Thanks for the input, SC57 would be 2004-2007 right?
MacV2, do you know the cylinder size of the Brembo you fitted? Do you think it makes a difference?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I've been running the stock Brembo unit from a Monster 1100 (15 x 18) for many years now and it works very well. Effort at the lever is slightly lighter than stock and they are a dime a dozen on eBay.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mototrick wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:03 pm Thanks for the input, SC57 would be 2004-2007 right?
MacV2, do you know the cylinder size of the Brembo you fitted? Do you think it makes a difference?
I didnt fit it TBH so no idea of cly size... dont have an issue with the std clutch so it made no difference to me...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
xeris

Post by xeris »

Also using Brembo clutch master from a 09'-11' Ducati Monster. Pull is a bit lighter, but also using an Oberon slave.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

BTW: Found the missing SC57 diameter

SC36: 14 mm
SC57: 1/2" = 12.7 mm

The reduction in lever force is around 20%.

If you're switching to the mentioned Brembo radial type the diameter isn't the only parameter to look at.
Radial pumps usually have a higher mechanical ratio, i.e. it may happen you have a lighter actuation despite a larger diameter.
Bye
Martin
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Appreciate all the info guys :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MK_WF wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:57 am BTW: Found the missing SC57 diameter

SC36: 14 mm
SC57: 1/2" = 12.7 mm

The reduction in lever force is around 20%.

If you're switching to the mentioned Brembo radial type the diameter isn't the only parameter to look at.
Radial pumps usually have a higher mechanical ratio, i.e. it may happen you have a lighter actuation despite a larger diameter.
Very true. I used a KTM RC8 radial clutch mc on my SP2 and it worked perfectly but was much lighter. There was no difference in throw, so there was no difficulty selecting neutral or unusual clunks selecting first.
To be fair I didn't have any problem with the standard one but I'd fitted a Brembo radial brake side so wanted to have a radial clutch pump to match.

It's all just bling, innit?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

For anyone interested, i ended up buying a Brembo clutch master cylinder and lever from eBay. I could tell by the photo's that it was probably a 15x18 or 15x19. From a Ducati Panigale.

Fitting was straightforward-ish. I had to reverse the existing hydraulic line to the slave cylinder so the hose connection bolts would line up.

The pitch of the Brembo banjo bolt is different to the existing one i had, (M10 x 1 x 20mm) so i had to get one from a local dealer.
Once bled through the next job was adapting the Brembo micro switch wiring to match the Firestorm loom. I chopped the wiring on the Brembo in half and soldered on 2 6.3mm spade connectors.

Then it was just a case of lining everything up and trying it. Initially i had the adjustment screw for the Brembo wound all the way in. In this position the clutch was just starting to grab. I found adjusting to a mid position worked. While i was pumping through fresh DOT4 i didn't think the lever pull felt any different but once out on the road with gloves on i'd say it was easily 30-40% lighter.
Quite pleased with the overall outcome.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good result and write-up.
Does it clear the fairing ok?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

The only clearance issue was with the adjuster on the lever. I had to place the MC just about as high up on the clipon as it would go, but that seems to be a natural position for it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mototrick wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:48 pm For anyone interested, i ended up buying a Brembo clutch master cylinder and lever from eBay. I could tell by the photo's that it was probably a 15x18 or 15x19. From a Ducati Panigale.

Fitting was straightforward-ish. I had to reverse the existing hydraulic line to the slave cylinder so the hose connection bolts would line up.

The pitch of the Brembo banjo bolt is different to the existing one i had, (M10 x 1 x 20mm) so i had to get one from a local dealer.
Once bled through the next job was adapting the Brembo micro switch wiring to match the Firestorm loom. I chopped the wiring on the Brembo in half and soldered on 2 6.3mm spade connectors.

Then it was just a case of lining everything up and trying it. Initially i had the adjustment screw for the Brembo wound all the way in. In this position the clutch was just starting to grab. I found adjusting to a mid position worked. While i was pumping through fresh DOT4 i didn't think the lever pull felt any different but once out on the road with gloves on i'd say it was easily 30-40% lighter.
Quite pleased with the overall outcome.

Many thanks for taking the time to post the photo's and to lets us know how things worked out for you. Glad you're happy with the modification 8)

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Hi have ZX14 radial clutch (3/4") & brake (11/16") masters with SP2 calipers and HEL lines. The braking is a million times better. I used bendy brackets from Kurveygirl to move the pots inboard as they did foul the fairing, and the masters fouled the dash cluster at full lock. I installed Convertibars at the same time and just adjusted them to suit.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638