Rear shock spacer

General Bike chat
yellabell

Rear shock spacer

Post by yellabell »

There are spacers available at 4, 5 & 6mm widths. Do they do the job as described i.e. make the bike turn in quicker & easier or are they a gimmick and unnecessary?

mik_str

Re: Rear shock spacer

Post by mik_str »

They definitely work. However, if your forks are stock (ie. not re-sprung and re-valved), they may also introduce some weaving at high speed
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yes they do but only go max 6mm... & dont buy them make them...
Shock spacer.gif
Shock spacer.gif (4.54 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

No ally plate to hand, steel will do just heavier & harder to cut.

Or just use washers, still cut the groove easier to fit...

Tank off, loosen the shock top bolt...DO NOT REMOVE!

Get the rear of the bike up so the shock drops down. Either lift by the sub frame if solo or if you have a helper tip up on the side stand... If the shock does not drop down a gentle tap to help it...

The spacer fits inbetween the the top of the shock bracket & the frame crossmember.... NOT under the nut !

Put the spacer in so the open end is facing towards the rear.

Lower the bike, tighten up the shock top nut to correct torque setting...Jobs a good un.

Except whilst you have the bike up in the air service the shock linkage !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i had a 6mm. The side stand will need extending
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

StuartWags wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 am i had a 6mm. The side stand will need extending
Or just be careful how you park, although it leans more it's only really in danger of falling over if you park on a downhill slope or if loaded with lots of luggage.
A blackbird stand fits without mods, or you can get a side stand foot which adds a few mm.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:08 am
StuartWags wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 am i had a 6mm. The side stand will need extending
Or just be careful how you park, although it leans more it's only really in danger of falling over if you park on a downhill slope or if loaded with lots of luggage.
A blackbird stand fits without mods, or you can get a side stand foot which adds a few mm.
Extending the prong helps...
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Many thanks chaps - I'll knock a few different widths up at work purely out of interest ti see if there's any noticeable difference from 4, 5 & 6mm options.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Except whilst you have the bike up in the air service the shock linkage!
Splendid idea - have been reading the article in the workshop how to pages... been meaning to check this out. It looks good as it is but the horror stories mess with you so a wee service won't go amiss.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

yellabell wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:19 pm Many thanks chaps - I'll knock a few different widths up at work purely out of interest ti see if there's any noticeable difference from 4, 5 & 6mm options.
Knock them up out of 2mm thick ally plate, then you can try one only = 2mm, two together = 4mm then three together = 6mm,
mik_str wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:00 am They definitely work. However, if your forks are stock (ie. not re-sprung and re-valved), they may also introduce some weaving at high speed
I agree with Micky, if your forks haven't been upgraded (stiffer springs etc) you may find it will be too much with any spacers, unless you are an ultra lightweight, very slim,

Chris.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

It is very important that the front forks have been properly tuned if you wish to fit spacers of 4mm or 6mm. This is a safety warning. If you would like to discuss this please contact me on 07970 915259.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Well gents, I think in that case then, this will be a winter project. I don't know if the forks have had any work done to them. There'd be too much riding time lost this summer. They need to come apart at some stage over the winter anyway to clean up the fork bottoms, they've had a poor silver paint job so they'll get a full service and resprung to correct weight if required. The "to do" list just keeps getting longer.

I'm about to machine a spare flywheel to your dimensions Roger - that's enough tinkering for now.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

yellabell wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:53 am Well gents, I think in that case then, this will be a winter project. I don't know if the forks have had any work done to them. There'd be too much riding time lost this summer. They need to come apart at some stage over the winter anyway to clean up the fork bottoms, they've had a poor silver paint job so they'll get a full service and resprung to correct weight if required. The "to do" list just keeps getting longer.

I'm about to machine a spare flywheel to your dimensions Roger - that's enough tinkering for now.
Make the shock linkage check a priority... If its never been done it will need a seeing to even if it's just a regrease... Fine waiting to winter untill it seizes up on you before then...
Rear linkage split.jpg
Rear linkage split.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Not mine but I know of two that have gone this way & I've seen plenty where the main conection of the triangle to the swingarm is seized solid...
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

on my fzr/thunder ace hybrid the rear end has been raised to the max the forks as standard sprung good fork oil it will go off the clock no shakes or
weaves is it really necess to work on springing unless its for track time? to me my firestorm looks the same with 6mm spacer its so small :D
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It'll likely be fine as long as you haven't also set the front forks higher than they should be above the top yoke.
I can't comment on the likelihood of a tank slapper occurring as I modified my forks before fitting a spacer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bertye

Post by bertye »

I have sold hundreds of them. Had no complaints (yet).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122092289331 ... Sw9NdXt1hS