Replacement screen?

General Bike chat
yellabell

Replacement screen?

Post by yellabell »

After meeting up with you lovely reprobates at the 25th Anniversary, it's plain my Storm needs cosmetic TLC. The fairing ears have been cut and screen altered to accommodate some unsightly high bar risers and flat bars. I'm going to stay with flat bars but done properly. Renthal ultra lows, Blackbird clutch res, CBR600F4i front brake.

To that end I've sourced a full genuine, unmolested black fairing in excellent condition. I need a screen to go with it.... so which one? I had quite a bit of wind buffeting flying down the M1 - Im thinking a cut down screen wouldn't have helped. Is a double bubble or touring screen a better option than standard? Cheers
AlmostThere

Re: Replacement screen?

Post by AlmostThere »

Which one as in brand name or type of screen?

This is the screen that is currently fitted on mine:

It's too steep (and dark) for my taste. I don't know who made it, I had it out not too long ago and I didn't see any obvious markings. On the plus side, I'm 6.2" and getting out of the wind/bugs (and rain if I happen to get caught out) is certainly easier than with a lower screen. However having said that, I find that when sitting up the wind is deflected more towards my shoulders/head than to my chest making things a little noisier.

I was looking at MRA for a replacement, almost settled on a a standard slope in clear. Powerbronze do screens as well, website was telling me 10 days for out of stock screens but I called and they told me 2-3 days is more realistic. A little cheaper than MRA with plenty more colours to choose from.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

yellabell wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:36 pm After meeting up with you lovely reprobates at the 25th Anniversary, it's plain my Storm needs cosmetic TLC. The fairing ears have been cut and screen altered to accommodate some unsightly high bar risers and flat bars. I'm going to stay with flat bars but done properly. Renthal ultra lows, Blackbird clutch res, CBR600F4i front brake.

To that end I've sourced a full genuine, unmolested black fairing in excellent condition. I need a screen to go with it.... so which one? Cheers
I've just switched one of my bikes to flat bars, it currently has a double bubble screen on it but I'm finding as I'm sitting more upright the wind blast is causing more disruptive air to hit me helmet ( yes the one on me head, I never ride with me flies undone..) & shoulders. Long rides in constant turbulent air can be a bit tiring...

I expect that a std screen may reduce helmet buffeting but not solve the long distance fatigue issue.

However there are 'touring' screens out there wich have a flip up lip rather than the bubble... Zero Gravity did one for the Storm. (just checked they dont list it anymore...) I bought one & put it on Nue Red...Only did a couple of runs with it on & took it off. Only because I didn't like the look of it...

I might try it on the flat bar one & see how it goes...

Or you could try something like this...https://www.motorcyclescreens.eu/315-mo ... orm?page=2 Would have to be a std screen.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Replacement screen?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Mick, I fitted the MRA flip touring screen on mine after doing the flat bars, it isn’t the prettiest but works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

For riders over 6' I have found the Puig double bubble works best :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.