K&N Air filter - Jetting issue - stuttering at constant throttle

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Harveyz

K&N Air filter - Jetting issue - stuttering at constant throttle

Post by Harveyz »

Hi

apologies if this is some where else on the forum. - having picked up a Firestorm a month back I've been trying to cure. a problem with it stuttering and surging. at constant throttle (3500rpm) plus back firing on over run - so far. - its got stick coils - all checked out - plugs (new) - checked the fuel tap and vacuum. - works fine with vacuum tester. It got LexTek pipe which are v loud. Over the weekend I stripped the cabs - first clue - the air filter housing has a K&N sticker but had a standard air filter in it. Plot thickens - on opening up the carbs it appears to have had a dynojet kit fitted. - main jets 190's - with both air screws out to 1 3/4 turns. Is anyone got dynojet kit fitted with K&N filter and these setting seem plausible

Sounds daft but is the solution simply to fit a K&N air filter as previous owner(s) has had the bike set up and someone has bunged in a standard air filter or do I fit smaller jets eg 180 or 185 and see if it improves.
Harveyz

Re: K&N Air filter - Jetting issue - stuttering at constant throttle

Post by Harveyz »

forgot to mention pilot jets are 48's
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

stick a K&N into it to see if it works with the jetting . or option 2. junk the jets and go back to standard.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

From your symptoms, it sounds like it's a bit lean in the low / part throttle range.

This is influenced by the needles (which are different for the K&N Kit), the idle jet and the idle "air" screw which actually doses fuel (so it acts in opposite direction to an air screw)
A damaged slide membrane could also be possible.

So my to do list would contain
- check CV slide membranes (caution: need a bit of experience/talent to get them back in)
- try to get the idle mixture screw out (i.e. enrich partial load) in steps of 1/4 to 1/2. If it helps, give it another step until you don't notice a difference. Then turn back to last setting.
- if nothing helps, either get the full K&C stuff, or the full OEM stuff
Bye
Martin
xeris

Post by xeris »

You need a known base line. Put everything back to stock and start from there. Or, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/t ... -up-24769/
As MK-WF suggested, the "surging" would indicate a lean condition. Is it really surging? A feeling of gain and loss of power? Or is the "stuttering" just a sound? Something similar to a rapid misfire, but without the loss of power? Given the jetting discovered in the carbs, and the missing K&N filter I would say that it's a rich condition. Try slowly pulling the enrichment knob out and see if it gets better or worse.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

Hi Folk's - thanks for all the responses - sorry been away working. Update. I have stripped them and found more. - it has a dynojet kit fitted. - extra hole drilled in the slides - I've gone back to std air filter, front main jet 180 rear 182 - air screws front 2 turns , rear 2 1/4 turns - no more popping and banging on over run - start first touch of the button. Only remaining issue is rev's between 3,000 and 4,000 (not as bad but surging on the throttle) - goes like stink 4,000 to redline. - potter about happily in traffic as sub 3,000 rpm. I read on a US site that drilling the extra hole in the slide to speed up its movement that Dynojet recommend - causes the main jets to come into early. Next job is to expoxy the extra hole in the slide (if any one can tell which are original holes. - that would really help) and try again.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Harveyz wrote:Hi Folk's - thanks for all the responses - sorry been away working. Update. I have stripped them and found more. - it has a dynojet kit fitted. - extra hole drilled in the slides - I've gone back to std air filter, front main jet 180 rear 182 - air screws front 2 turns , rear 2 1/4 turns - no more popping and banging on over run - start first touch of the button. Only remaining issue is rev's between 3,000 and 4,000 (not as bad but surging on the throttle) - goes like stink 4,000 to redline. - potter about happily in traffic as sub 3,000 rpm. I read on a US site that drilling the extra hole in the slide to speed up its movement that Dynojet recommend - causes the main jets to come into early. Next job is to expoxy the extra hole in the slide (if any one can tell which are original holes. - that would really help) and try again.
You're bang on. Block the extra hole up and you'll probably be OK. At a guess Mac linked you to the carb tuning guide and that pretty much says the same: the extra hole is not the right way to go. With a setup like yours you can fix the lean condition with jetting and needle clip position. If it was a modified engine I'd suggest blocking the air relief hole, but go back to stock and start from there. Make sure the 'heat shield' is in place under the snorkel too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Harveyz wrote:Hi Folk's - thanks for all the responses - sorry been away working. Update. I have stripped them and found more. - it has a dynojet kit fitted. - extra hole drilled in the slides - I've gone back to std air filter, front main jet 180 rear 182 - air screws front 2 turns , rear 2 1/4 turns - no more popping and banging on over run - start first touch of the button. Only remaining issue is rev's between 3,000 and 4,000 (not as bad but surging on the throttle) - goes like stink 4,000 to redline. - potter about happily in traffic as sub 3,000 rpm. I read on a US site that drilling the extra hole in the slide to speed up its movement that Dynojet recommend - causes the main jets to come into early. Next job is to expoxy the extra hole in the slide (if any one can tell which are original holes. - that would really help) and try again.
The original holes are both at the top of the slide.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

Thanks for the advice - I'll check the airbox - looks standard - once I have epoxy the extra hole - will check again on the main jets - I'll keep going down toward stock - the pipe's are loud and very free flowing.

I had a thought last night - to go stock on main jets and fit some Delkevic cans (worked well on my SV mini twin).
Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

The saga continues - had the storm out for a run - start first time on the choke - stopped for gas when it was good and hot - wouldn't start - massive backfire poor woman in the petrol station nearly wet herself. Got it started - cut out twice on way home however runs well on the main jets to redline - always seemed to be as the revs were dropping as I come to a stop. Checked everything today - carb sync/pilot jet screw (2 1/4 front 2 1/2 back). - still hard to start when hot. Here's the strange bit - if I screw the idle screw in (idle about 2,000 rpm) it starts - ahhhhhhhh.

My only choice left. appears to be junk the loud pipes it came with and fit a set of Delkovic cans ( jet down from 180/182 to standard 175/178) or take it to my local dyno shop and pay a wedge to get them to sort it (defeats the object as I love tinkering )

Any help gratefully excepted as currently sipping a beer and contemplating my next move

Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I hope the beer helped :shh: :lol:

When you had the carbs stripped did you check the diaphragms for any splits/holes in them :?:

It could be worth trying another new set of spark plugs, I have heard on a rare occasion of a brand new plug breaking down before.

If not already done balance the carbs,

Chris.
Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

Hi thanks for getting back to me - beer definitely helped - vacuums in the carbs was ok when I stripped them - TPS set and sync'd. I did fit new plugs but might give that a try. spent the evening reading about the effect the fuel screw has on low range rpm - I'll have another play during the week
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Harveyz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:31 am Hi thanks for getting back to me - beer definitely helped - vacuums in the carbs was ok when I stripped them - TPS set and sync'd. I did fit new plugs but might give that a try. spent the evening reading about the effect the fuel screw has on low range rpm - I'll have another play during the week
That's known as dedication :clap: :clap:

Good luck with it, I hope you can get to the bottom of the problem soon,

Chris.
Harveyz

Post by Harveyz »

Hi

Had a few other avenues to check. - breath carb pipe routing plus an interesting one - it has manual camchain tensioners - if set to tight they cause hot starting problems - busy weekend :)