Front fork seal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mototrick

Front fork seal

Post by Mototrick »

Evening Gents & ladies.

Looks like I've blown a fork seal.
IMG_3395.jpg
My knowledge of suspension internals is sadly lacking. So is it a case of removing the fork and getting my local shop to replace it?
The forks were worked on my Roger about 4 years ago, so do i just need to tell them the oil weight and air gap provided by Roger?
When i last had the forks out i used a small hydraulic jack to lift it high enough, then some wooden blocks under the sump. It was a bit sketchy TBF.
I was looking at purchasing a head-stock front stand, but do these lift the bike high enough to get the forks out?

Cheers

Lee
tony.mon

Re: Front fork seal

Post by tony.mon »

Yes.
A headstock stand with the correct pin will enable you to remove the forks, but take the mudguard off first.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mototrick wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:57 pm Evening Gents & ladies.

Looks like I've blown a fork seal.

IMG_3395.jpg

My knowledge of suspension internals is sadly lacking. So is it a case of removing the fork and getting my local shop to replace it?
The forks were worked on my Roger about 4 years ago, so do i just need to tell them the oil weight and air gap provided by Roger?
When i last had the forks out i used a small hydraulic jack to lift it high enough, then some wooden blocks under the sump. It was a bit sketchy TBF.
I was looking at purchasing a head-stock front stand, but do these lift the bike high enough to get the forks out?

Cheers

Lee
Yes, give your local shop those details you have from Roger D.

Take measurements of how much of the fork stanchions are above the top yoke before removing them, also the amount of preload, and rebound settings, unless you already have those dimensions of course. That will help you on refitting and setting up the amount of static-sag you were happy with,

Chris.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Cheers, i'll put the stand on my Christmas list to myself.
Any recommendations for the make of stand and pin size? The ones I've seen max out at 18mm, the internal diameter of the steering tube measures 22mm i think.

Lee
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mototrick wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:58 am Cheers, i'll put the stand on my Christmas list to myself.
Any recommendations for the make of stand and pin size? The ones I've seen max out at 18mm, the internal diameter of the steering tube measures 22mm i think.

Lee
https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 0889&hilit

I can't say what the quality is like, but worth a look I'd say.
Black Friday deal here: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sgs-mot ... rbEALw_wcB
image_2022-11-20_115027944.png
I hope you're in the UK,

Chris.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

I'll take a look today, thanks. Yes, i'm Leeds area :thumbup: