At last, a Firestorm owner!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fabiostar

Re: At last, a Firestorm owner!

Post by fabiostar »

Welcome along Stew..... have you checked the moriwaki style belly pans? they are on ebay for in around £105 ish last i checked... as said already yeti has the moulds for the bodywork of that red bike..

you only own the bike and you are sliding down the modding slope lol :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Tell me about it! And this is just the start!I have spent half this week on various and multiple sites - I am my own boss, but might have to sack myself soon unless I get my act together and stop thinking about the Firestorm. Fun though. :D

And thanks Lloydie and Fabiostar - Yeti sounds like he's worth a shout! ( where is he,though...!?)

Think the Pyramid one is out now- on closer inspection its got weird round shapes at rear of it - the P and P one from guys in Dorset- looks Moriwaki style- is winning at the moment, unless your man Yeti is around and still doing these amazing belly pans?

Christ, I hate these decisions!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome, just to throw a spanner in the works... Your better off waiting a bit for the cosmetic side & spend some £'s on the mehanical side first...

Check the Reg/Rec is not the origonal one, best replaced witha Mosfet one...

Strip & check the rear suspension linkage/dog bone regrease or replace bearings.

20+year old fork oil ? Replace.

Origonal break lines ? Again 20+ years old rubberworth looking at replaceing with some nice new braided ones, go the whole hog & get a full set, fronts, rear & clutch...

Oh & look at the age of the tyres...

& finaly when you get to the cosmetics if you have the budget paint it Red or Black... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

You're right Mac but being a designer and obsessed with aesthetics, the visual modding is in the blood. :D

In saying that, clutch and brakes bleed and oil and filter change scheduled for this weekend, tyres checked, nearly new condition and from 2017 so all good there,( sort of..) fork oil is next before season proper and might get the braided lines later on - then see how budget goes, because suspension strip way beyond my spannering skills!

Great suggestions, tho, will revert to them as the year goes on.

And bought a second hand belly pan to tide me over 'til I can afford one I really like in the summer...maybe Yeti one, depending on costs

Pass on the suggestion about painting it- pearl flash yellow in the nick my bike is in is the business - looks about 2 years old, not 20! See and be seen 8O :D
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Mac- how do I check the reg/ rec isn't actually the original one? I have heard they are rubbish - and I don't fancy getting stranded in Tighnabruich this summer!

And which is best in everyone's opinion?
xeris

Post by xeris »

It can be argued that this is the best choice. Fitment is a bit of a work around.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/m ... r-r-34077/
OEM for a Suzuki 2015 DL1000 SH847 Series R/R PN 32800-31J00
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mounted on the R/H side of the subframe.

viewtopic.php?p=473463&hilit=OEM+Regula ... er#p473463

Later bikes should have a finned type to aid cooling but they can still fail & indeed they do... Electrickery old style shunt type means heat... melted wires & sockets...Extream case is it overchagres the battery which can cause it to swell...Or worse can cause the bike to go up in smoke...
Burn RR.jpeg
Burn RR.jpeg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Avoid cheap ones off ebay most likly cheap chinknees copies. see above !

Personaly I go with Mosfet BMWS1000r needs a bit of rewiring.
F2 Mosfet RR.jpg
Attachments
Burn RR.jpeg
Burn RR.jpeg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh I can't belive I forgot this or anyone elase mentioned it...

CCT's...If your bike is still running the OEM CCT's the get them changed pronto!

Take a pic & post for us so we can see if changed alreadly or not...
CC Ouch again 260618.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:36 am Oh I can't belive I forgot this or anyone elase mentioned it...

CCT's...If your bike is still running the OEM CCT's the get them changed pronto!

Take a pic & post for us so we can see if changed alreadly or not...

CC Ouch again 260618.jpg
A very good point Mac :thumbup: :clap:

Chris.
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Oh jeez Mac! my Firestorm going on fire is not what I fancy! Right, I will check that reg/rec tomorrow and get that sorted.

CCT done in 2010 according to history I got with bike, so all good there.

And clutch bleed today - oh my christ, what a difference, bites half way now, weird sh*t in terms of some powdery looking brown stuff ended up in the jam jar - looks like years and years ago last time it was done, same for brakes, so quite happy with today's tinkering!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Stew1000 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:29 pm Oh jeez Mac! my Firestorm going on fire is not what I fancy! Right, I will check that reg/rec tomorrow and get that sorted.

CCT done in 2010 according to history I got with bike, so all good there.

And clutch bleed today - oh my christ, what a difference, bites half way now, weird sh*t in terms of some powdery looking brown stuff ended up in the jam jar - looks like years and years ago last time it was done, same for brakes, so quite happy with today's tinkering!
when you say cct changed, make sure its for mccts and not a new set of Honda autos :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

I'll take a photo tomorrow of the section Mac pointed out and someone can hopefully tell if the are manual ones, however the service history says 'cam chain tensioners replaced in 2011 and then in 2014 it says -' remove cam chain adjusters and do stopper mod.' no idea what that means, maybe you guys will!

can't see anything in history about the R/R so fear the worst there. Are there any Mofset ones that are easier to fit than the the BMW S1000rr ones you mentioned Mac? I am thinking I would have to pass that job, if it was the beemer one, to a mechanic and then price creeps up...

But , if that is one to have, I'll search for one - there is one on ebay at minute, serial number on it is shown in pic below and its about £80 which sounds fair, its from a 2019 bike.
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Wonder why are my phoaties so wee! Serial number of that reg/rec is FH027AB
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

And here is the photo that might be of use determining the tensioners question.

Good thing I did find out is that a Hyperpro combi kit was fitted around 10 years ago.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

If the stopper mod has been done as stated the ccts could still fail,but the engine will not be damaged as the stopper mod prevents the plunger that keeps cam chain tight cannot retract.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN