Advice on possible regultor replacement

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Stew1000

Advice on possible regultor replacement

Post by Stew1000 »

Well, I thought it was time to leave the Welome Inn now I've owned the bike for a couple of weeks!

So, quick question -given all fluids now changed, I am going to take everyone's advice and will be changing reg/rec before the season starts proper.

I found this one on line - from 2019 on BMW S1000 RR - should I go for it do you think and will it fit relatively easily - and is the Mosfet one that has been mentioned? The adverts says 2019-ON BMW S1000 RR Regulator/ Rectifier - 12318523367

Code on it is FH027AB

And above that is the number 94676-1801

Hopefully the fitting is do-able by someone with limited spannering skills?!

Any advice much appreciated, as the horror stories of not doing this mod are freaking me out!
Stew1000

Re: Advice on possible regultor replacement

Post by Stew1000 »

Spelling not a strong point, REGULATOR replacement! :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Fh020A is what I used from a triumph and about £40 on eBay .
The plugs are also on eBay for about £6
So it’s easy enough but you will need a good set of uninsulated open barrel crimps .
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If your origonal wiring is good & not burnt/crusty you can unpick the terminals from the block. Then just plug them in. The 3 yellow wires can go in any order. Make a note/take pics of the Red & Green in the old block & plug in to the new R/R in the correct order. Bit of heat shrink wrap wont hurt.

If you go the cutting of wires route, solder not crimp is the way to go.

As Llodie says there are the correct conectors out there but then you need a crimping tool the connect them properly...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Thanks guys, great advice as ever. And much appreciated.

there's also a brand new one I found made by a company called MTX

I's on ebay at £73 but brand new. Ever heard of it? Seems like a plug n play version, according to the blurb.

There is also a pretty expensive job online made by Electrex see screen grab. Again, you guys might have heard of these. This is my last question on this, promise, just don'twant to make an expensive mistake!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 pm Thanks guys, great advice as ever. And much appreciated.

I's on ebay at £73 but brand new. Ever heard of it? Seems like a plug n play version, according to the blurb.

There is also a pretty expensive job online made by Electrex see screen grab. Again, you guys might have heard of these. This is my last question on this, promise, just don'twant to make an expensive mistake!

I see Electrex say Li-ion batteries are not suitable to use with their rectifier's :problem:

Chris.
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Thanks Chris- will double check that its not Lithium, good point!
xeris

Post by xeris »

Stew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 pm Thanks guys, great advice as ever. And much appreciated.

Some caution is advised. Un-branded parts may not be any better than the stock unit. The Shindengen units are a known reliable product.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:52 pm Thanks Chris- will double check that its not Lithium, good point!
I was just surprised to see that, as I don't think anyone on here has ever mentioned that when they have upgraded to a Li-ion battery.

I thought it worth pointing out in case you were intending to upgrade to such a battery later on.

Quote from Electrex site:
Lead only (1).jpg
Lead only.jpg

Chris.
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Thanks again - I think you're right about these replacements, must check any replacement is Shindegen then, everyone on the forum seems to recommend this.

I took a photo of the one fitted mine at the moment- I see at least it is finned, probably becuase it is the newer series 2 version from 2001 - would the serial number tell anyone if it was the original Honda or not?

Number on it is SH693-12 and under that T0.N 171

Might help if I'd done this earlier!
IMG_5494.jpg
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As an alternative, fit a voltmeter display on the handlebars. If you get the tyre pressure monitor with a built-in voltmeter for around £20 delivered (Evilbay) you can see if the voltage suddenly increases and stop the bike, hopefully before the battery suffers meaningful damage.

The one I bought recently sounds an alarm when tyre pressures are too low or high, and might sound an alarm when voltage exceeds set parameters, too.

Tbh I haven't set the alarm parameters as standard seemed about right, and haven't had an alarm triggered so don't know for certain whether there is an audible alarm for voltage or just tyres, but it seems likely.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:16 pm Thanks again - I think you're right about these replacements, must check any replacement is Shindegen then, everyone on the forum seems to recommend this.

I took a photo of the one fitted mine at the moment- I see at least it is finned, probably becuase it is the newer series 2 version from 2001 - would the serial number tell anyone if it was the original Honda or not?

Number on it is SH693-12 and under that T0.N 171

Might help if I'd done this earlier!

IMG_5494.jpg
I'm pretty sure the SH693-12 is a OEM Honda rectifier/regulator. As it's finned it's better than non-finned, but not a good as a MOSFET,

Chris.
Stew1000

Post by Stew1000 »

Thanks guys - brilliant info as always, appreciate it. :thumbup: