Finally, Carbs out!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Finally, Carbs out!!

Post by Donut 77 »

Happily working my way through cybercarl’s great write up of fitting MCCT’s - as well as generally stripping her down as far as I can to check things over.

The first discovery last night was that the velocity stacks were on the wrong way. Mine had the large one at the front. The article definitely says small one at the front. I don’t know how critical this is, but I will put them back as per his instructions.

Then onto removal of carbs. One side only had a single jubilee clip and the other 3 were so rusted they fell apart. Around 10pm I’d reached the point where he says “wriggle them left and right until they pull free…”

4 hrs later and the weight of the bike hanging by ratchet strap under the carb, while I tap them with a nylon hammer and they finally popped off at 2am.

The rubbers, I’d describe less as rubber and more Bakelite. Are they meant to be quite flexible, because they were not.

Anyway, off to work with matchsticks under my eye lids.

Next step is to order some new clips (and maybe rubbers and maybe replacement carb as it’s quite corroded)

At least now is a good time to do another compression test without holding the slides open.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Finally, Carbs out!!

Post by sirch345 »

WOW that's what I call dedication :clap: :clap:

No the rubber inlet manifold's are meant to have some give in them, although not like a slice of radiator hose, not that much flexibility lol. Yours do sound they will need replacing as you mention.

With a compression test, in my view it's more about both cylinder giving similar readings than worrying about not reaching the maximum psi suggested by workshop manuals,

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:46 pm WOW that's what I call dedication :clap: :clap:

No the rubber inlet manifold's are meant to have some give in them, although not like a slice of radiator hose, not that much flexibility lol. Yours do sound they will need replacing as you mention.
They're almost solid - you can deform them with lots of pressure and very slowly. I'm wondering what (other than heat) would have made them like that?

I note the they have a metal ring in the centre, so I expect them to be a bit rigid, but as they took 4 hours to remove, I think they might be ready for the bin...
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Old thread but covering the same issue -

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... ae09019796

😉
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF