Chain link advice..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Chain link advice..

Post by Donut 77 »

Hi all, I have looked in the Knowledge DB but as yet not found the answer.

I bought a new chain today - a Gold TVH X-Ring Competition 102 link. I was expecting the final link to be one that I must rivet with a tool that I plan to borrow.

Instead, there is a clip, the same as I'd expect on my sons BMX.

Is this ok to fit for a 100hp motorbike, or are they a bit dodgy?

My gut feeling is that a chain under that much tension and compression, really shouldn't have a clip that can come flying off.

What are peoples thoughts please? Im assuming that I can order a rivet link? Any links (pardon the pun) to any would be appreciated.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
AMCQ46

Re: Chain link advice..

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree with your thoughts….it should be a rivet link for a big bike
AMcQ
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

I’ve just checked and it comes with both types.. phew!

I hadn’t realised this. Apologies to TVH

I suppose not everyone has a riveting tool. I really would NOT of been happy on a big chain like this with a Lego link..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree completely, I would only use a riveted chain link for our Firestorms / Superhawks.

The good thing is on these bikes you can take the chain to your local bike shop and get them to do it for you, as you don't need an open end to fit it.
For those of you who have a braced swingarm, then you will need to take the swingarm with you,

Chris
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's a lot easier to rivet the chain with the links resting on the flat but at the back of a vice, rather than trying to do it at sprocket level with the chain flapping about.

Removing the footrest is the best way, then slipping the rivetted chain on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thank you both for advice. I will certainly do it off the bike. Especially as I’ve got everything apart.

Tony, the vice method.., do you still mean to use a riveting tool or can it be whacked with a punch? (carefully)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Donut 77 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:15 am Thank you both for advice. I will certainly do it off the bike. Especially as I’ve got everything apart.

Tony, the vice method.., do you still mean to use a riveting tool or can it be whacked with a punch? (carefully)
Be very careful using a punch, it can flare the soft rivet head unevenly. But it can be done if you don't have a chain rivetting tool.
Measure across the link plates either side of the join link to find out how much to tighten the rivet, it's easy to go too far and either damage the x or o rings, or end up with a tight spot.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.