Ignition control unit

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bigp

Ignition control unit

Post by Bigp »

Hi all
On Sunday just gone 11/6 I was riding along the M60 when my bike just died, I managed to get to the hard shoulder but she just would not start up.
So I called the breakdown service when he arrived he tried to jump the bike it fired up but as soon as he took the jump pack off it cut out, it also had blown a fuse 10amp swapped that out and tried again but she would not start then we heard a hissing noise coming from the ignition control unit.
When I got home the battery was dead ( it was only 2 weeks old ) but it was also bulging out as if it had blown, I've since replaced the battery and the regulator rectifier; but it just keeps blowing the ignition fuse 10amp one and again the ICU was hissing and smelling.

Has anyone had this happen to them, could it be all caused by the ICU or do you think there's something else and that has caused the ICU too go faulty
tony.mon

Re: Ignition control unit

Post by tony.mon »

It might be the cat.

My cat makes those noises sometimes. And it's smelly.

Best replace the ignition unit and find out, but meter out the RR first.
Last edited by tony.mon on Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
xeris

Post by xeris »

A cooked battery usually means the RR is bad. You may have other issues though and as tonymon suggested swap out the ICU. Hope you don't have the HISS system on your bike. I'm thinking you do as that would explain the hissing.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

I had a VTR for repair in my garage that definitely had a faulty RR.
He blew quite some things like a couple of bulbs. The ICU was also on that list. Exchanging it with mine made it work again.

Next to a used one, you could also fit a completely new & programmable box from Ignitech (use the search function)
Bye
Martin
Bigp

Post by Bigp »

Cheers for the reply gents @Mk_WF all my bulbs had blown I've put a new RR I'm just waiting for a ICM to come off ebay hopefully that will be it sorted.
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

If you're tired of searching, here's my Ignitech conversion including all the necessary data:
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... /&pageNo=3
Bye
Martin
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

MK_WF wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:28 pm If you're tired of searching, here's my Ignitech conversion including all the necessary data:
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... /&pageNo=3
Do you have the contact info for Ignitech to see if they can download the map from my HRC ECU? I really do miss having a rev limiter on a street bike :angel: :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

Well, they have a contact address:
https://ignitech.cz/en/kontakt

Though I have to admit that support quality is not constant. In some cases they were helpful, in others they stopped answering when it got too deep into technical things.
They certainly prefer selling over support, that's for sure.
Bye
Martin