Setting timing after cam chain tensioner fail

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Vtrnznelson

Setting timing after cam chain tensioner fail

Post by Vtrnznelson »

Hey all, my manual cam chain tensioner popped out as whoever did it didn't locktight it!!!! Anyway I've brought new valves etc and reseated and assembled everything. However what we've discovered is that the FT and FE FI don't quite line up. When we adjust one tooth fwd or one back it's the same issue. I'm thinking that the cam chain may have stretched half a tooth or there abouts. Any suggestions on a way around this? Or do I need to buy a new chain? If new chain, is there a master link so I can thread it through without removing the alternator etc? If I have to remove the alternator etc does anyone have a video link showing how to do it?
Lot's of questions so happy if it takes a few peoples help. Cheers
Vtrnznelson

Re: Setting timing after cam chain tensioner fail

Post by Vtrnznelson »

SO after more research seems that the chain is most likely stretched, so a new one will be ordered in the morning. And as there's no master link I will need to take of the alternator etc. Does anyone have a link to a video or easy to understand instructions or tips and tricks on how to do this? Much appreciated
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What you are describing is fine. No need to replace the cam chain(s),

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard👍
Vtrnznelson

Post by Vtrnznelson »

Thanks for the welcome Chris.
If I don't need to replace the chain then do I prioritise lining up the FE and FI or the FT? If I get the FE & FI in line then the FT is about 5 mm out
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They're always a little bit out, it makes no difference to running or power, so just get it as close as you can and button it up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Vtrnznelson wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:45 pm Thanks for the welcome Chris.
If I don't need to replace the chain then do I prioritise lining up the FE and FI or the FT? If I get the FE & FI in line then the FT is about 5 mm out
If you are thinking about which timing marks to use for the valve clearance checks now you've fitted new valves on the front cylinder head, I can't really see it will make any difference which marks you go off. If you want to be pedantic, then I guess aligning the FE and FI marks would be the ones to get exact, but as I said I doubt it will make any difference either way,

Chris.