First start in 10 years

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

First start in 10 years

Post by Donut 77 »

It started like a dream - after no more than 3 seconds it fired up for the first time since it was left for dead 10 years ago. What a beast! It does have a slight stumble sometimes when I blip it at tick over, but otherwise I’m well chuffed. Obviously not finished yet but she’s alive.., thanks in no small part to LOTS of advice on here.

Is the whistle note normal? Any thoughts would be very welcome.

One very happy mechanic here.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tony.mon

Re: First start in 10 years

Post by tony.mon »

The whistle is normal. Fit proper cans and it won't trouble you😉
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:36 am The whistle is normal. Fit proper cans and it won't trouble you😉
I have heard many that do make the whistle and also those that don’t. I was just interested in what it was? If it’s even possible to isolate one thing? Probably nothing I can do about it anyway. I think I just wanted to check that I hadn’t over tensioned when doing the MCCT’s. I followed the write up VERY carefully, so probably isn’t that. Could it just be airflow whistle?

I was reading about why triples whine due to the balancing shaft gears.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's usually straight cut gears. The primary gears (even though there are quietening scissor gears) are likely to be the main cause.
I removed my scissor gears but it didn't seem to make any difference to the noise it made
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done that man :clap: :clap:

Great to see the video, it sounds good to me, recordings always seem to make things like an engine wine/whistle sound louder than it is in reality.

Tony has the right idea re: the end cans :lol:

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thankyou Chris. Thanks for all your help. I’m currently making a special tool to adjust the pilot screws - hoping that might stop the slight grumble when I blip it. It’s as though there’s a very momentary fuel shortage, so it stumbles then revs fine again. Could it be a sticky valve? Any thoughts welcome? I set the pilots at 2.5 turns out.. was planning to turn them in a turn. I don't really understand them if I’m honest, but it’s worth a try. Tick over is about 1300rpm when warm.

Obviously haven’t ridden it yet, so any problems might be easier to diagnose then?

I would still welcome any views.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:41 pm Thankyou Chris. Thanks for all your help. I’m currently making a special tool to adjust the pilot screws - hoping that might stop the slight grumble when I blip it. It’s as though there’s a very momentary fuel shortage, so it stumbles then revs fine again. Could it be a sticky valve? Any thoughts welcome? I set the pilots at 2.5 turns out.. was planning to turn them in a turn. I don't really understand them if I’m honest, but it’s worth a try. Tick over is about 1300rpm when warm.

Obviously haven’t ridden it yet, so any problems might be easier to diagnose then?

the pilots on these things make a surprising difference to how they run and they run different setting front to back :thumbup: if you have a tool to do it try starting 1.75 front and 2 rear then go out quarter at a time, the rear should always be at least a quarter out more than the front at least thats what vtr lore says :thumbup:

also check what size they are, some came with 48s and some had 45s, they like 48s more :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Great advice, Thankyou. They are 48 jets. I’m also studying a thread on here with sone good advice about how to recognise ‘peak rpm’ by ear. So, is the richer setting on the rear because it runs hotter due to being out of airflow?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:41 pm Thankyou Chris. Thanks for all your help. I’m currently making a special tool to adjust the pilot screws - hoping that might stop the slight grumble when I blip it. It’s as though there’s a very momentary fuel shortage, so it stumbles then revs fine again. Could it be a sticky valve? Any thoughts welcome? I set the pilots at 2.5 turns out.. was planning to turn them in a turn. I don't really understand them if I’m honest, but it’s worth a try. Tick over is about 1300rpm when warm.

If it were me I'd take out on the road for a good run, then see how things are, obviously not before you have it on the road properly first,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:15 am Great advice, Thankyou. They are 48 jets. I’m also studying a thread on here with sone good advice about how to recognise ‘peak rpm’ by ear. So, is the richer setting on the rear because it runs hotter due to being out of airflow?
correct the rear pot sits in a lot more heat so run a larger main jet and generally a little richer on the pilots, but being 20 year old plus they are all a little different :thumbup:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Thanks 👍

Btw., is this the throttle responsiveness setting!? (See pic)

If so, how does it work? I didn’t even look at this while I was cleaning the carbs, but have just read that it plays a part in tuning up, alongside TPS (which I did do) and the pilot screws..

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Thats basically the throttle stop on the linkage :thumbup:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:48 am Thats basically the throttle stop on the linkage :thumbup:
Does it affect the throttle return spring? The vid I watched these two dudes were messing around tweaking it back and forth with the pilot and tps..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:25 pm
fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:48 am Thats basically the throttle stop on the linkage :thumbup:
Does it affect the throttle return spring? The vid I watched these two dudes were messing around tweaking it back and forth with the pilot and tps..
its not something iv ever went near, pilots and tickover knob setting is all you should need to be playing with externally on the carbs.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:22 pm Thanks 👍

Btw., is this the throttle responsiveness setting!? (See pic)

If so, how does it work? I didn’t even look at this while I was cleaning the carbs, but have just read that it plays a part in tuning up, alongside TPS (which I did do) and the pilot screws..

That screw is the adjuster for synchronising the carbs when you balance them,

Chris.