new rear brake pads too thick

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tastethefloor

new rear brake pads too thick

Post by tastethefloor »

Hi guys I just change the rear pads with a new pair of nissin oem and the clearance between them and the rotor is very very little...as I went this morning for quick ride the rear rotor became extremely hot, than with the expansion of the metal the wheel don't turn very freely...is this normal? the piston in the caliper is ok, I reset it to zero before install the new pads
cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: new rear brake pads too thick

Post by sirch345 »

No that is definitely not normal for new pads to cause the disc to heat up like that.

When you fitted the new pads with the piston pushed back into the caliper were you able to spin the rear wheel freely? As you should have been able to even after you had applied the brake pedal to settle the pads in position.

From memory the OEM Nissan pads are not that thick to start with.

Check that part of the caliper on the front fixing bolt is able to side in and out, as that needs to happen as it only has one piston, if that doesn’t happen that could be the problem.

Suspects are the caliper piston is sticking, so may need to be stripped and cleaned, possibly new seals. Another possible is the master cylinder or brake hose, especially if it’s the OEM hose from new, or even dirty brake fluid,

Chris.
tastethefloor

Post by tastethefloor »

yes the wheel turn freely after replace the pads with everything cold my suspect is that after some hard breaking the disc get so hotter to expand and get closer too much to them
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tastethefloor wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:53 pm yes the wheel turn freely after replace the pads with everything cold my suspect is that after some hard breaking the disc get so hotter to expand and get closer too much to them
If it's still free to turn when the disc is hot then I would agree with that. I thought you meant it was getting hot without hard breaking,

Chris.
tastethefloor

Post by tastethefloor »

thank you Chris