wire colour identification

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
seanc2

wire colour identification

Post by seanc2 »

Hi,
could anyone please identify the brown and blue wires in the picture, I believe the green/black one is for the neutral switch,I found them tucked behind the frame.
Sean
AMCQ46

Re: wire colour identification

Post by AMCQ46 »

hi, what year is the bike and can you send a photo from a bit further out so I can work out where in the frame the wires were sitting?
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not many brown wires on the vtr loom.
Fuel sensor is

Here is the colours for oil, neutral and side stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
seanc2

Post by seanc2 »

Thanks for your reply AMCQ46,
I looked at the wiring diagram,didn't see the fuel level sensor was those 2 colours,because the wires run up the frame by the left side footrest,I was looking at sidestand switch,neutral switch or oil switch areas on the wiring diagram,when the cover comes off Saturday I will take more photos and try and work out what's going on.Of course because the wires are wrapped in insulation tape so there is a chance they are someone's quality workmanship.
Regards
Sean
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

After looking at the wiring chart pic's that Al posted, and your pic Sean, the colours of 'blue' and 'brown' remind me of household electricity flex [brown (+) live and blue (-) neutral) :shh:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris, given that any standard brown wire on the storm should have a black tracer on it (not solid brown), I think you may be onto something.

Sean, it will be interesting to see what you find when you take the cover off
AMcQ
seanc2

Post by seanc2 »

that thought had crossed my mind sirch345,I'm dreading looking Saturday to see what they are connected to,battery has been off the bike for 4+ weeks,took it off has soon has I got it home for the 1st time,can't remember what was working dashboard wise will be interested to see if the neutral and sidestand lights work.
Will let you know what I find Saturday,hopefully won't be has bad has I'm expecting.
Sean
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Al says it will be interesting to see what you find, hopefully nothing too disastrous, fingers crossed,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Are the two wires joined together?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
seanc2

Post by seanc2 »

Couldn't wait till tomorrow to look,yes tony.mon they are joined,it looks like somebody for some reason has put a small piece of loom of what looks like household wiring from here down to the neutral/oil switches,im expecting the other end to be has professionally done has these connections,another job to do tomorrow.
Sean
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

seanc2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:39 pm Couldn't wait till tomorrow to look,yes tony.mon they are joined,it looks like somebody for some reason has put a small piece of loom of what looks like household wiring from here down to the neutral/oil switches,im expecting the other end to be has professionally done has these connections,another job to do tomorrow.
Sean
A good job you are investigating by the looks of things :eh:
At least if it's needed you can make the connections good, rather than just twisted together,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

My guess is that it shorts the side stand switch.
You can easily check; with the side stand down, start the bike, pull in the clutch, put it in gear and the motor should stop.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
seanc2

Post by seanc2 »

thanks for the advice tony.mon,had a good bad day,sorted those wires out,fitted new choke needle valve(the other had seized in,choke wasn't working)finally got everything back together,bike started spot on,then checking over another bodge I noticed before,the tape used by previous owner was burning.
Took the sticky tape off and this wire was held together with 1strand of wire,
previous owner had said he had fitted a new regulator,im guessing he noticed this wire when it failed and just put tape round it.
I couldn't get these to solder,so had to use a connector,I can see I'm going to have check the wire all along because there is bare wire below here.
But I was determined to go out,1st time for a proper ride,wow didn't get anywhere close to half throttle/revs because on back roads,but despite knowing what lay ahead with this wire,came back with a big grin.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I'm pretty sure I have a spare oil pressure/neutral switch connector if you need it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

seanc2

Post by seanc2 »

thanks for the offer freeridenick,much appreciated,I've soldered those wires,all working good ta,just got to sort that stator wire now.