Tokico Calipers, brakes and nose dive

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Seeker 77

Tokico Calipers, brakes and nose dive

Post by Seeker 77 »

Have just bought my 99 Storm as a commuter bike to stop the GSXR 600 mileage going through the roof! Love the noise - Remus Grand Prix cans - but the brakes were frankly atrocious. So i put braided hoses on and as i was doing it i thought i might see if a pair of GSXR Tokico calipers might fit. They did! :lol: They went straight on no problem and improved the braking by 200%. However the nose now dives into the ground when you haul on the anchors. Was wondering of anyone can recommend some simple suspension mods or adjustments to stiffen the bike up a bit and make it a bit more Gixxer-like! (please don't say ohlins, i don't want to remortgage the house!)

I don't want to destroy the easy rider position but want something a bit more on the sporty side

Suggestions welcome
Hamish

Calipers

Post by Hamish »

Hello Melis,
Sounds great. What model and year GSXR did the calipers come off?
Ta,
H
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

They are from a GSXR 750 K1, they are the same on all Gixxers from 01-03 so i reckon they will all fit. Picked them up on ebay for £25!! Bargain
Hamish

Calipers

Post by Hamish »

Thanks for that, I'll try and get some.
Ta,
H
monomaster

Re: Tokico Calipers, brakes and nose dive

Post by monomaster »

melis wrote: However the nose now dives into the ground when you haul on the anchors. Was wondering of anyone can recommend some simple suspension mods or adjustments to stiffen the bike up a bit and make it a bit more Gixxer-like! (please don't say ohlins, i don't want to remortgage the house!)

I don't want to destroy the easy rider position but want something a bit more on the sporty side

Suggestions welcome
The best mod you can do here is to have the forks re-valved & upgrade the springs with something better. HyperPro or Progressive Suspension are 2 brands offering upgrades. You can also lessen the viscosity of the "fish oil" in the forks. (Yes Honda put fish oil in the forks as standard). Go with a 10 or 15 weight fork oil.
This will stop the diving front end & improve handling dramatically.
Happiness is a 200kph mono past a Catholic Schoolgirl excursion
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Hi melis. Did you use the gixxer lines ?
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

No i used the VTR ones. I was originally only going to change the lines for braided onese so i bought some for the VTR from ebay - type wezmoto on google for a good deal - there were three lines. It was only when the whole lot was in bits that i though of trying the Gixxer ones. The threads and bolts fit perfectly and are exactly the same threads. I believe that Nissin and Tokico share an industry standard (the Gixxer has a Nissin master cylinder and Tokico calipers).

It all works perfectly and so now i have GSXR quality brakes on my VTR. Although they aren't quite as good as the discs on the VTR are slightly smaller in diameter.

Hope this helps
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Okay. Next question. Is it possible to put larger discs on the vtr ? If so then from what bike ? CBR ? :roll:
Had a look around and have identified some discs that may fit ?

1. VF750 93-97
2.CBR900RRW 98-99
3.CBR900 00-01
4.Blackbird 99
5.Pan-Euro
6.CB1300

all these bikes have a slightly larger disc O/D which could be turned down slightly ? As for the other sizes, carrier, bobbins, etc i do'nt know. If anyone does then please jump in ! :roll:
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

I have reached the limit of my knowledge on the matter mate!

The only thing is that if you increase the disc size then you need to change the mounting points for the caliper, that means new forks i should think. If you try and make some kin dof bracket you could run into all sorts of problems with extra flex and vibration of the caliepr unit under heavy useage.

Just thoughts...............
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

What melis said...............

I wouldn't try changing the diameter, you go down a slippery slope with caliper mounting issues. Just go with upgrading the caliper..(GSXR pre '02, SP1 or CBR), braided lines & upgrade the m/cyl... This will bring you into the modern era of braking! :wink:
bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 »

A bit new to the game, would a 01 GSXR600 calipers fit? Would a 750 or 1000 set be better (are they any bigger or the same?)

Cheers
If the black box in a plane is industructable, why don't they make the plane out of it?
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Those calipers from a GSXR 600 and 750 are the same, the ones from the thou are six pots i believe so i don't know whether the mounts would be the same. 01 GSXR 600 calipers should fit though.
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

6 potters fit as well...!
bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 »

So how does putting 6 pots on work in terms of the master cylinder, and actual stopping - will the bike nosedive too much?
If the black box in a plane is industructable, why don't they make the plane out of it?
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

The VTR would nosedive if you used an anchor! I reckon if you put 6 pots on it will accentuate it a little but i would rather be able to stop fast and nosedive a bit rather than not stop. Don't forget that you only really haul on the anchors in a straight line anyway so nosediving shouldn't become too much of an issue as long as you are careful..........