Replacement mirrors

General Bike chat
Scott Malcolm

Replacement mirrors

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Hey All

Riding to work this morning, my mirror came off in my hand while adjusting it :x . Anyone need to replace their mirrors? If so, did you have to go thru Honda or are there aftermarket ones out there. Also, would mirrors from another model bike fit the storm?

Thanks,
Scott
8)
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Apparently R1&R6 ones bolt straight on!
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

You can try M&P Accessories based in wales, they send out thick catalogues full of replacement bits.

I got a mirror for a Thundercat several years ago from them & it was ok, looked just the same, but if picky not finished quite as well as original, but only cost about £14 if i remember right.

They are also on the 'net but don't list everything online.
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

WayneM wrote:Apparently R1&R6 ones bolt straight on!
Do you know if the '98-'99 are the same as the '01-'03? :?:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

I think they are all the same, but the aftermarket ones from m&p
etc, fit just as well
catsknacks

Post by catsknacks »

...can anyone recommend replacement mirrors that stick out a bit further - can't see round me elbows :roll:
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Tuck yer elbows in, it's cheaper :wink:
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
catsknacks

Post by catsknacks »

...I'll practice holdin' a tin o'beans with me elbows 8)
RacerXRed

Mirror extenders

Post by RacerXRed »

Try this company for mirror extenders. [/url]http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/[url][/url]
catsknacks

Post by catsknacks »

Thanks.

Found the following for all UK guys:
"http://www.blue-job.co.uk/Genmar/range.htm"

Guess I'll have the beans for me tea :P
thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

catsknacks wrote:...can anyone recommend replacement mirrors that stick out a bit further - can't see round me elbows :roll:
Just like WayneM said, I have heard that R1 mirrors bolt staight on, and they are supposed to stick out a bit farther than stock vtr mirrors. Try some R1 mirrors from a breakers, here in the US breakers are full of R1's.... :roll:
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
--------------------------------------
Scott Malcolm

Finale

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Okay, I ended up buying some '03 R1 mirrors off Ebay. They are not plug-n-play. Unlike the vtr mirrors, you can not adjust them forwards and backwards. They are pushed way back. You can only see your nuts in that position. So hears what I did.

The R1 mirrors are held together with a pin (rivet). I had to grind that off to release the stem from the mount. When your grinding, point away from your face. This thing has tension-type washers which shot off in every direction when the pin finally gave. I scrapped the R1 mount and used the vtr mount. I had to open the hole on the stem a bit to accomodate the vtr mount screw. Then I gathered up all them washers that went flying and filled in the extra space in the mount. I used the original vtr rubber boot.

It really was pretty simple. These mirrors blow away the vtr's mirrors. They don't point as high as the originals, rather they stick out sideways a few more inches than the vtr's. Also, THEY ARE NOT TINTED!!!! The friggen vtr's mirrors are tinted, so when you want to hit triple digits, but you notice a car behind you, you'll be able to tell whether it's a cop or not.

Anyway, they worked out well and I would recommend them if you need a replacement.

One more thing... the R1 '98-'00 mirrors are different. They will fit, but they have short stems and you wont gain anything over the original mirrors. You'll need to get them off a '01-'03 model.
Scott
catsknacks

Post by catsknacks »

...whew, guess I'll go the easy route and apply the extensions.

Cheers all for the help and advice

Cats
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Catz,

I also have the extensions, and the r1 mirrors stick out way further than the vtr w/extenders. All I could see was my elbows even with the extensions. Really poor design on Honda's part.

Scott